Trial of Gary William Dobbie

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

AMP
Deputy Grecian

Re: Trial of Gary William Dobbie

Post by AMP »

Very interesting and informative, thank you.

Yes, probation report, didn't think of that.

Had assumed Judge would go straight to sentencing as she has had 10 months to work on it, and assume they prep for both outcomes during a trial.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

It is very rare - but not completely unknown - for a jury to decide dangerousness on the basis of the offences themselves, ie that they are so inherently wicked that the offender must be dangerous.

Otherwise probation have to do the necessary assessment.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

Given the length of his offending, would that determine some element of dangerousness? This sounds massively assumptive on my part but he doesn't come across as an opportunist paedophile, so the long-term predatory nature of his actions must be an indication that it could happen again?

Regarding the other unnamed party-goers, I'm also wondering whether involving other adults or being encouraged by them could be a continuing concern?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The length of his offending is a factor, as is the number of victims and whether he shows remorse.
The probation service will ask a series of questions which determine the risk factor.
If he present a significant risk of causing serious harm (including psychological harm), he is dangerous.
I believe he will be found dangerous.
It affects his release. A dangerous should be given an extended licence it means that he will not be released until he has served two thirds of the sentence and even then will only be released if the parole board think he is safe.
Normally an offender will be released after serving half and spend the other half on licence, ie under probation supervision and liable to recall if he/she misbehaves. On an extended sentence, licence continues until then of the extension period.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

How is a convicted offender determined to show genuine remorse? He pled not guilty and sought character witnesses for himself. In my mind not the actions of a person who acknowledges a transgression.

And at what point does the question of remorse get looked at - at sentencing or at parole?
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

And btw, thank you for all the useful information about the process, richardb 👍
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:04 pm How is a convicted offender determined to show genuine remorse? He pled not guilty and sought character witnesses for himself. In my mind not the actions of a person who acknowledges a transgression.

And at what point does the question of remorse get looked at - at sentencing or at parole?
At this stage remorse is largely what the offenders says. If he persists in protesting his innocence, he isn't showing remorse.

During his sentence reports will be prepared on him at regular intervals. He will be interviewed by probation officers. And reports from other prisoners will be taken into account.

Unless he acknowledges his guilt, he won't ever get past the parole board.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Trial of Gary William Dobbie

Post by J.R. »

Another trial over and the saga goes on.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:12 pm
Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:04 pm How is a convicted offender determined to show genuine remorse? He pled not guilty and sought character witnesses for himself. In my mind not the actions of a person who acknowledges a transgression.

At this stage remorse is largely what the offenders says. If he persists in protesting his innocence, he isn't showing remorse.

During his sentence reports will be prepared on him at regular intervals. He will be interviewed by probation officers. And reports from other prisoners will be taken into account.

DO NOT PASS GO: STAY IN YOUR CELL !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

AMP wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:01 pm Very interesting and informative, thank you.

Yes, probation report, didn't think of that.

Had assumed Judge would go straight to sentencing as she has had 10 months to work on it, and assume they prep for both outcomes during a trial.
Also - rightly - she would want to enable victims from the first trial to attend and for them to plan accordingly.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:06 pm It is very rare - but not completely unknown - for a jury to decide dangerousness on the basis of the offences themselves, ie that they are so inherently wicked that the offender must be dangerous.

Otherwise probation have to do the necessary assessment.
What's the provision for a jury decide dangerousness? Can't find anything in the statue, or caselaw.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Sorry. My typing. I. Meant to type judge. You are right.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Sorry, I feel like I'm bombarding you with questions!

Is there an obligation for a sex offender to engage with a programme in prison or use counselling/psychotherapy services?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I can't pretend to know the nuts and bolts as I don't do prison law work but I do believe that they are required to do courses and the like, and perhaps also group work.

It is no easy job to get past the parole board if you dont do what is required of you.
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

Am I right in thinking that having pleaded not guilty and gone to trial, there's now no incentive for him to "dob in" the other single male housemasters in exchange for a reduced sentence?