Trial of Gary William Dobbie

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

AMP
Deputy Grecian

Re: Trial of Gary William Dobbie

Post by AMP »

LHA wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 pm
AMP wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:01 pm Very interesting and informative, thank you.

Yes, probation report, didn't think of that.

Had assumed Judge would go straight to sentencing as she has had 10 months to work on it, and assume they prep for both outcomes during a trial.
Also - rightly - she would want to enable victims from the first trial to attend and for them to plan accordingly.
Good point!

There will be the victim impact statements.

And the previous jury may want to attend as well.

What with legal arguments, precedents, pleas of mitigation - although his brief will have his work cut out on that front - and the Judge's sentencing remarks, it could be a long hearing.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

There is. He most get a small reduction in sentence for doing so.

But he is too arrogant to admit any wrongdoing which would be a requirement of his doing so.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 10:01 pm There is. He most get a small reduction in sentence for doing so.

But he is too arrogant to admit any wrongdoing which would be a requirement of his doing so.
Would that not be a very high risk strategy?

The others probably have more knowledge of his offending than anyone

And to snitch on another nonce begs the question "why didn't you do anything?"
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

That's why he won't do it.
Trex78
2nd Former

Post by Trex78 »

I'm staggered that it appears Dobbie still has 526 'friends' on Facebook. Looking at names, I recognise a large number as being pupils, and staff members, at CH.

I know Facebook's considered old hat now, perhaps that's why people haven't removed their Facebook association with him?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

I noticed that Trex. I wonder whether people just forget he’s on there as he’s likely been inactive for a while.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Trex78 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am I'm staggered that it appears Dobbie still has 526 'friends' on Facebook. Looking at names, I recognise a large number as being pupils, and staff members, at CH.

I know Facebook's considered old hat now, perhaps that's why people haven't removed their Facebook association with him?
To be honest, people won’t often go through their friends list to remove friends - I had forgotten I was Facebook friends with him until someone reminded me a while ago.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I am sure it was 526 at the end of the first trial, so perhaps his account is frozen.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

you would still be able to remove him if so, however I assume the great majority of people on there either don't know what's happened (which shows how important publicising these cases is) or have forgotten they were friends with him. The account is hardly likely to be much use in the decade or so to come.

On a more serious note, I did notice a bloke a few years below me in school wished him a happy birthday the other day on facebook. He used to me in Mid A too (so you would think he might have heard on the grapevine) He cannot know - it would just be a bizarre thing to do. Shows how important continuing to publicise these convictions are so that anyone with information can come forward.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

He may have deactivated it, but I guess it is in whatever state he left it

It looks like it is still possible to Friend Request him.

Assume no internet access from prison hence the lack of activity, although I think he probably stopped posting around the time he was first questioned.

Doubt the police would request Facebook lock it as any activity would be useful to monitor.

Paricularly associates suddenly unfriending him.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

The account is still ‘active’ as people can still comment on his posts; someone posted yesterday.

I still have 60 mutual friends on there who are ‘friends’ with his profile; I would wager that many of them have no idea that they are still ‘friends’ with his profile.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

Trex78 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 10:13 am I'm staggered that it appears Dobbie still has 526 'friends' on Facebook. Looking at names, I recognise a large number as being pupils, and staff members, at CH.

Depending on how you've got it set up you don't always remember who you've friended unless they post something or get tagged.

Also, and this may sound implausible given the forum we're on, I guarantee a number of them still have no idea that he has even stood trial, let alone received multiple guilty verdicts for his crimes. I didn't know anything about any of the cases until mid last year and if I hadn't actively searched after reading a small piece on Karim's trial would probably still be in the dark about it and definitely wouldn't have found this forum.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Some pretty nasty comments have been posted with links to press reports both this weekend and 9 months ago so his friends should become aware soon enough.

An interesting comment from one person regarding Shrewsbury School
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

AMP wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:30 pm An interesting comment from one person regarding Shrewsbury School
What does it say?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

AMP wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:30 pm Some pretty nasty comments have been posted with links to press reports both this weekend and 9 months ago so his friends should become aware soon enough.

An interesting comment from one person regarding Shrewsbury School
His Facebook friends would only see those comments if they originally commented on that post or if they went looking for it, thanks to the vagaries of the algorithms!