Trial of Gary William Dobbie

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Trial of Gary William Dobbie

Post by J.R. »

It has been suggested to me that the 'former member of staff'' has been mentioned frequently on this forum on threads in time past..

As I said before, we will have to wait and see.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Did anyone go to Hove Crown Court today ?

Any news that can be posted on here ?

Monday, here we come !!!
Leeautemps
2nd Former

Post by Leeautemps »

Looks like witness two was sworn today but their evidence was not concluded. Was anyone in court today who can clarify?
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

I don't remember it being that often when I was there either. Like you, twice a week I think.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

When I was at CH (92-99), there were, as others have said, only two compulsory services a week - one on Sunday, either in the morning or evening, and the junior / senior chapels on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.

There were other services, an 8am short communion on a Monday, never more than 10 people or so, a communion on Sunday (either the morning or evening when it wasn’t full school chapel) and compline on a Friday night at 9pm (always candlelit, good fun for pyros...)

Dobbie was, I think senior chaplain until the Mitras arrived which was the start of my UF, so September 95. He took fewer of the chapel services then. I can’t remember when he became housemaster.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Otter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm Was chapel 4-5 times a week the norm in the late 80s/early 90s, and with Dobbie playing a larger role?
Hmmm, maybe not 4-5, but sadly not as good as twice a week. IIRC the seniors got less chapel too, but there were services that were basically hymn rehearsals with the lantern-jawed Allwood vainly trying to coax everyone to sing well.

Dobbie was possibly more prominent then, but prominence is relative. If you elected to go to voluntary services, including communion, you probably got more Dobbie. If you just went to the compulsory stock, then you got Dobbie (or the sour Banyard) doing prayers, announcing hymns, etc. Perhaps once or twice a term they did a sermon, but the habit was to cast the net wider for people to deliver sermons, like, er, (tediously) the HM, or (dubiously) Peter Ball or (dubiously) Enoch Powell.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

I swear there was also chapel on friday mornings in the mid 90s, so 2 or 3 times a week usually
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Avon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 am
Otter wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:52 pm Was chapel 4-5 times a week the norm in the late 80s/early 90s, and with Dobbie playing a larger role?
Hmmm, maybe not 4-5, but sadly not as good as twice a week. IIRC the seniors got less chapel too, but there were services that were basically hymn rehearsals with the lantern-jawed Allwood vainly trying to coax everyone to sing well.

Dobbie was possibly more prominent then, but prominence is relative. If you elected to go to voluntary services, including communion, you probably got more Dobbie. If you just went to the compulsory stock, then you got Dobbie (or the sour Banyard) doing prayers, announcing hymns, etc. Perhaps once or twice a term they did a sermon, but the habit was to cast the net wider for people to deliver sermons, like, er, (tediously) the HM, or (dubiously) Peter Ball or (dubiously) Enoch Powell.
Enoch Powell gave a sermon in the Chapel? When?

About the only memory I have of Dobbie preaching in chapel is reading out a piece by Martin Niemoller about spending your first night in prison.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

LHA wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:31 am
89-90 ish.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Avon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 am
89-90 ish.
That’s about as appropriate as Dobbie teaching Discovery to the 2nd form. Bravo CH.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:50 am
Avon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:03 am
89-90 ish.
That’s about as appropriate as Dobbie teaching Discovery to the 2nd form. Bravo CH.
An appalling piece of judgement. It would be interesting to know who extended the invitation.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Avon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 amthe lantern-jawed Allwood
Brilliant. I remember that exceptional jaw. But I never knew there was a widespread term for it! Thanks for that. My Google image history is now full of lantern jaws. 8)
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

And here indeed they are. I was around at this point but obviously went over my head.

http://www.enochpowell.info/speeches/
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Twice! 1986 and 1987.

I’m not sure I would have paid much, if any attention, as a young teen. I generally remember the sermons being mind numbingly dull, but likely many of them would interest (or offend) me as an adult. I do remember Simon Weston speaking but no other standouts.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Otter wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:35 am
Avon wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 amthe lantern-jawed Allwood
Brilliant. I remember that exceptional jaw. But I never knew there was a widespread term for it! Thanks for that. My Google image history is now full of lantern jaws. 8)
I'm sorry Stephen, but on sound legal advice, I have deleted your post of yesterday concerning quotes from court proceedings, even though I appreciate it was from press coverage. IF a juror got access to this site and followed through subsequent posts and raised them in court, there could be serious implications.

Let's leave it to the trial conclusion to discuss on this site. Again, I'm sorry. John