Trial of Gary William Dobbie

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Trial of Gary William Dobbie

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:07 pm JR,

I think some members of staff covered up, but it may well be that it was the staff that mattered. It is clear that not all members of staff were involved in the conspiracy.

Doubtless Dobbie relied upon his cloak of goodness to repel any allegations against him.

Qute so, Richard. I wasn't implying ALL staff were covering up, but some must have.

It only takes one, two, or three. 'The Three Wise Monkeys' syndrome. I have studdied at some length, the Nuremburg WW11 trials. Much along the lines of, "I may have heard rumours, but I wasn't involved personally." Not a defence in my book, and so the trap opened.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:17 pm It’s irritated me from the start that he’s not been titled Revd. And scant mention of being a chaplain.
I would hope the church would release a statement, and he’d be de-frocked for his appalling breach of trust and horrific offences to young vulnerable kids away from home, turning to the person who was SUPPOSED to be a primary pastoral care responsible person at the school.
When I went to him, all he wanted to do was get me to tell him about any sexual activities I’d been involved with. No care, no empathy, and made me feel significantly worse.

Guilty 100% in my view, and now the court’s view too, in every way.

He should never leave prison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That says it all, Julian !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

J.R. wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 pm

I do however, don't think we have heard the end of Dobbie, and possibly others.
Yes, I hope we get to hear from the "other single male house masters" mentioned in the media before too long.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

These cases together demonstrate the harsh environment which CH was in that era. You couldn’t turn to the senior management team as they were there to protect the school’s name (!) and you couldn’t turn to the chaplains. That left the house teachers, so it was pot luck whether they were good (as many including mine were) or not.

I admire the courage of this latest victim, as all others who have been dragged through the court process. I hope you can find some closure on this, you deserve better.

As for references, I know that Dobbie went on the hunt for character references as soon as the initial charges were laid, claiming to only being an accessory to things that happened at Whites. Luckily many of those asked knew too much to comply, particularly once the grubby details emerged.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Despite those earlier convictions, he still managed to find three to stand up for him this time round.

Just goes to show that there's one born every minute.
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

jtaylor wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:43 pm
I remember these invitations, and the cycling-shorts bit...
I never made the guest-list, though I was aware of its existence. The cycling shorts ring no bells whatsoever - who even had cycling shorts at CH circa 1988; I'm sure they weren't on the approved kit list! Were they one of those weird CH-specific fashions that has since been lost to history?
Gingerbeard17
2nd Former

Post by Gingerbeard17 »

JR do you really believe that this all started happening after CMES left? There were rumours and accusations during his time which were covered up and dismissed. This was going on before, during and after your halcyon days.
Ma. B , Pe. B 1964 -1971
Hobby :drinkers:
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Elvie wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:52 pm As for references, I know that Dobbie went on the hunt for character references as soon as the initial charges were laid, claiming to only being an accessory to things that happened at Whites.
I have searched the forum, and I think this is the first reference to a specific location where things happened (distinct from the generic “X’s flat”, which could be multiple places due to teachers periodically changing residence).

Is it common knowledge that certain offences occurred at Whites? Should it be public knowledge? Personally, citing this location makes me immediately able to pinpoint a “single male teacher” (not mentioned in any of the cases so far), when I’m not sure I (or anyone) ought to be able to, if this has not been disclosed publicly and there may be further investigations to come.

Or did GWD live at Whites at a certain time?
Bob
2nd Former

Post by Bob »

did GWD live at Whites at a certain time?
Yes, Dobbie lived at Whites in the 90s (at least up until '96 when I left).
PeB 89, MaA 92-96
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Bob wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:01 am
did GWD live at Whites at a certain time?
Yes, Dobbie lived at Whites in the 90s (at least up until '96 when I left).
Ah ok, didn’t know that, thanks. I remember him living in Mid A. I was worried it might be referring to an as yet undisclosed teacher who lived there.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

I’ve not posted anything as specific previously due to the trial. All I can say is that one of the people GWD asked for a reference told me.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

jakew wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:29 am
jtaylor wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:43 pm
I remember these invitations, and the cycling-shorts bit...
I never made the guest-list, though I was aware of its existence. The cycling shorts ring no bells whatsoever - who even had cycling shorts at CH circa 1988; I'm sure they weren't on the approved kit list! Were they one of those weird CH-specific fashions that has since been lost to history?
Cycling shorts was hugely fashionable for tween girls in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember Lycra being a revolutionary new fabric and begging my parents for some.

In the early/mid 90s, I’m sure I remember senior boys wearing them under their rugby shorts at CH.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Elvie wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:42 am I’ve not posted anything as specific previously due to the trial. All I can say is that one of the people GWD asked for a reference told me.
Do you know whether they obliged with a reference?

I think I mentioned this last summer, but I know at the original trials one of his referees had been convinced that JAH was the main offender and he was just collateral damage. No idea what they think now or whether they stood up in court for him a second time.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

That’s exactly right as per what I heard. GWD claimed that he was only implicated by association and the reference would help defend a terrible injustice. However we called bullshit and no reference was given. This was due to being able to piece together some insights from across a number of years.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Not that it matters, but I don’t even remember GWD and JAH being particularly close at school. They weren’t an obvious pairing where guilt by association may naturally occur.