Dobbie sentencing hearing

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: Dobbie sentencing hearing

Post by richardb »

The Argus quotes a court official as saying he got 12 years which means that they weren't there.

It works out at 16 months a victim.

Absolutely shocking.
yossarian
2nd Former

Post by yossarian »

The 12 years is with concurrency taken into account. 6 years expected in custody.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

yossarian wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:36 pm The 12 years is with concurrency taken into account. 6 years expected in custody.
Which means he didn't get an extended sentence.

Dobbie is still a danger to young people, particularly given some of the anecdotes on here.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

I wonder if the press will continue to ‘forget’ that he did this as ‘Father’ Gary Dobbie?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Unbelievable if he only spends 6 years inside for this, less I guess given time-served. To think he could be out-and-about again in a couple of years time is horrible.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The Daily-Mail gave this case quite a big article earlier in the trial.

It will be interesting to see tomorrow's issue.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

In the light of comparable crimes such as the football coach this sentence does seem derisory to me. I assume no account has been taken of the position of trust a teacher / chaplain holds given that he will serve only 6 years effectively. My understanding is that paedophiles remain a danger well into old age. If he is 67 now he will only be 73 when he comes out. Younger even if time already spent inside is taken into account.

Glad that Richard is 'on the case' and will be in the ear of the appropriate authorities. Burr's sentence was increased on appeal if memory serves me right so one hopes the same will happen again in Dobbie's case.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Mid A 15 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:52 pmMy understanding is that paedophiles remain a danger well into old age.
Yes.

Prolific violent offenders slow down as they age.

Whereas a serial killer or other violent offender will usually abort an attack if they think they’ll be caught, a sex offender will offend even if they know they’ll be caught. Sex is a powerful drug; the drive overcomes reason. They offend in person until they are physically incapable of doing so. Then they go online to view and trade repugnant images. Often get caught on numerous occasions, go to prison, come out, do it again despite knowing what’ll happen and despite how horrible prison is for that type of offender. Their lives are a dreadful, self-inflicted cycle but rather than choosing to stop and escape the cycle, they have to keep doing it.

Now that I am no longer employed by the Probation Service I can say that sex offenders will not stop until they are in prison, dead or a vegetable.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

This sentence is disgracefully low and I'm just so sorry for the victims.

Remember the Court of Appeal increased the sentences on Burr and Webb- the process can work.

If anyone can appeal the case reference number that would help as you are asked to give as many details a possible but Gary William Dobbie Hove Trial Centre 12 june 2019 should do the trick.

Anyone can send in an appeal - you don't need a direct connection to the case . Please see link. It literally means sending an email and I suppose putting as many legally sound reasons as possible. There is no guidance saying the more email the more likely a referral to the Court of Appeal is but I assume it can't hurt

link here

https://www.gov.uk/ask-crown-court-sentence-review
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Otter wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:34 pm Now that I am no longer employed by the Probation Service I can say that sex offenders will not stop until they are in prison, dead or a vegetable.
Well, that’s giving Dobbie some options then.
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

richardb wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:16 pm The Argus quotes a court official as saying he got 12 years which means that they weren't there.

It works out at 16 months a victim.

Absolutely shocking.
Agreed. I understand it was in line with police expectations. No comfort to the victims though.
Barnes B / Mid A
Gingerbeard17
2nd Former

Post by Gingerbeard17 »

Horsham police claim justice has been done.. no mention of him being a chaplain

https://m.facebook.com/horshampolice/ph ... 47/?type=3
Ma. B , Pe. B 1964 -1971
Hobby :drinkers:
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The BBC has caught up and does at least describe him as a "chaplain" :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48616076
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I have very kindly had some clarification of how the sentence was broken down.

The judge imposed a total sentence of 4 years for the second trial, which seems to me to be about right.

For the first trial she imposed a total sentence of 8 years to run consecutively to the 4 years from the second trial making 12 years.

How on earth did he only get 8 years for 8 victims?
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

richardb wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:55 pm I have very kindly had some clarification of how the sentence was broken down.

The judge imposed a total sentence of 4 years for the second trial, which seems to me to be about right.

For the first trial she imposed a total sentence of 8 years to run consecutively to the 4 years from the second trial making 12 years.

How on earth did he only get 8 years for 8 victims?
Can you/we get sentencing remarks?