Here's a hypothetical

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Re: Here's a hypothetical

Post by Pe.A »

scrub wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:21 pm
Pe.A wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:17 pm
richardb wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:50 pm McCall's name keeps coming up.

He appears to have either died or gone abroad.

One can't help thinking he will be happy to be as elusive as Lord Lucan.
True. His name has cropped up, and he did leave abruptly. But i'd prefer to err on the side of caution if noone has come forward to press charges for anything...
The manner of his leaving has been covered here previously though, so while you're correct that no charges have been drawn, it's not slanderous innuendo territory either.

He was my teacher for A-levels (before he left) and, well, lets just say that my opinion of his teaching is somewhat/vastly different.
Maybe/Maybe not. But i've just found certain people on here turning a bit Mossad secret agent a bit troubling at times...
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Pe.A wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:57 pm
scrub wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:21 pm
Pe.A wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:17 pm

True. His name has cropped up, and he did leave abruptly. But i'd prefer to err on the side of caution if noone has come forward to press charges for anything...
The manner of his leaving has been covered here previously though, so while you're correct that no charges have been drawn, it's not slanderous innuendo territory either.

He was my teacher for A-levels (before he left) and, well, lets just say that my opinion of his teaching is somewhat/vastly different.
Maybe/Maybe not. But i've just found certain people on here turning a bit Mossad secret agent a bit troubling at times...
I get that, but I think it’s driven by a need to make sense of what happened
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Not casting judgment/opinion in any direction but just stating for factual information in case anyone wasn’t aware, O’Meara died on 1 April 2006.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

My experience of O'Meara as a house tutor was that he was completely harmless.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Otter wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:16 pm Not casting judgment/opinion in any direction but just stating for factual information in case anyone wasn’t aware, O’Meara died on 1 April 2006.
I didn’t know that. Despite my teenaged assumption that all of my teachers were ancient in the 90s, I imagine he was actually relatively young when he passed away.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

I think I have posted previously about Porteous and how shocked I was at the revelation of his conviction as I had him down as one of the good guys.

He liked sticking two fingers up at the rules and in particular at Baker.

He often reminded us that he reported to the Bishop and not the HM.

I enjoyed several glasses of red at his house in the company of another pupil who was also being prepared for confirmation.

His wife would wander in and out doing things as people do when they live in a house.

There were no closed doors or any hint of grooming.

He seemed to genuinely care for the welfare of pupils and on one occasion mediated in a crisis in the Prep Block when a pupil was threatening to hang himself in the gym.

I still can't fathom his conviction.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:49 pm
Otter wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:16 pm Not casting judgment/opinion in any direction but just stating for factual information in case anyone wasn’t aware, O’Meara died on 1 April 2006.
I didn’t know that. Despite my teenaged assumption that all of my teachers were ancient in the 90s, I imagine he was actually relatively young when he passed away.
I think so. He retired in July 2005.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

There are possible candidates, born in 1942, 1943 or 1945.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

The school and its staff were aware of problems for decades. See, for example:
https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... 44#p142644

...much of this site is devoted to analyzing who knew what and when about abuse and bullying (and there is much to read).

Refunding fees makes sense. The school has assets of 400 million.

https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/inf ... s-2016-17/

...anticipate concern from teachers, retired teachers, and convicts fearing for the security of their pensions (and their shills).
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

TMF wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 pm The school and its staff were aware of problems for decades. See, for example:

...much of this site is devoted to analyzing who knew what and when about abuse and bullying (and there is much to read).

...anticipate concern from teachers, retired teachers, and convicts fearing for the security of their pensions (and their shills).
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

TMF wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 pm The school and its staff were aware of problems for decades. See, for example:

On the first occasion of quoting your words, TMF, I gave no response.
I will now explain my action:
I was simply stunned by the depth of your cynicism, especially in your concluding paragraph.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

TMF wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:43 pm
I suspect that the Charity Commissioners would have a lot to say bout that such as "Close Down; you are in breach of your declared charitable purposes"

Those assets were garnered from sources on the condition that they are used for education purposes. It would be a differenmt matter if such a refund were on the instructions of the courts. In any case any refund would have to be to the original donor, not the ex pupil.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

If the school shut down, the money would be applied for the charitable purposes for which the funds were given. They would not be returned to the original donor.

It is the doctrine of cy pres. Literally it means "as near as".
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

harryh wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:15 pm On the first occasion of quoting your words, TMF, I gave no response.
I will now explain my action:
I was simply stunned by the depth of your cynicism, especially in your concluding paragraph.
I'm stunned by the naivety and inability of former staff to comprehend the depth of the problem despite all the evidence of cover up and collusion, clearly documented in the media, including the lies and pressure to be quiet for the victims, the grooming "cycling shorts" parties which at least two other as yet uncharged teachers attended/hosted (cycling shorts is a clue to the identity of one of them), etc etc.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

McCall accused pupils of cynicism.