Here's a hypothetical

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: Here's a hypothetical

Post by jtaylor »

Agree with most of what David says.

I’d also add that I was never “sent away” - I was given the choice of CH, or alternatively Whitgift or Trinity scholarships. Or, the very high quality local church state school, Archbishop Tenison’s. Having seen them all, I chose CH without hesitation, partly BECAUSE it was boarding, and despite having a very happy but meagre home life, and the other school being very close to home and day schools.

I think some of the sweeping generalisations can tend to border on Fake News when they seem to be delivered with such force and attempted authority.

Dunning-Kruger effect in action sometimes...
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sorry Freaky, but innappropriate behaviour by teachers to pupils is just as rife in state schools as boarding schools.

I know of a couple of such cases very close to me which were 'dealt with' quickly.

Boarding schools in the past have always found it far easier to cover/hide.

Times are now changing, thank God.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:30 pm This website has set me to wondering why it is that there are still people trying to defend the indefensible. Calling me a leftie, for instance, when I imagine that I probably represent a large part of the 93% who can't afford private education (and probably don't want their kids to board) and who would simply rather see the state system brought up to par by more progressive taxation and firmer political will.
Ah yes, that hoary old chestnut so beloved by the political left: more progressive taxation. I am sorry to disabuse Mr Redshaw and the rest of them but we already have progressive taxation. What they really mean is that they want everyone earning more than them to pay more tax (and ideally for them to pay less). When I was working full time in the UK I paid 26% of my salary in income tax (give or take). My UK income has now halved but I only pay around 13% in income tax, little more than a quarter of what I was paying previously. That is progressive taxation and quite rightly so. In the UK, those who are not really wealthy but earn higher than average salaries pay disproportionately more tax despite what the left would have us believe. By the way, I have no issues with this, just as I have no issues with better-off pensioners paying for their tv licence and my non-receipt of child benefit.

Most of the rest of Mr Redshaw's nonsense has been taken apart by other contributors so I won't repeat what they say. He is a bit of a silly old leftie who won't listen to anyone else's arguments and is as immune to the realities as Mr Corbyn who he appears to admire so much. What he doesn't seem to want to recognise, however, is that my wife and I make a choice to send our daughter to an independent school, our choice not his and one for which we make considerable sacrifices.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:57 am

Most of the rest of Mr Redshaw's nonsense has been taken apart by other contributors so I won't repeat what they say. He is a bit of a silly old leftie who won't listen to anyone else's arguments and is as immune to the realities as Mr Corbyn who he appears to admire so much[/b]. What he doesn't seem to want to recognise, however, is that my wife and I make a choice to send our daughter to an independent school, our choice not his and one for which we make considerable sacrifices.

Just look at what Brown, Blair and the like have done to DESTROY Britain. It looks like they want to make us part of the USSR
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
max_ratcliffe
3rd Former

Post by max_ratcliffe »

sejintenej wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:03 am
loringa wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:57 am

Most of the rest of Mr Redshaw's nonsense has been taken apart by other contributors so I won't repeat what they say. He is a bit of a silly old leftie who won't listen to anyone else's arguments and is as immune to the realities as Mr Corbyn who he appears to admire so much[/b]. What he doesn't seem to want to recognise, however, is that my wife and I make a choice to send our daughter to an independent school, our choice not his and one for which we make considerable sacrifices.

Just look at what Brown, Blair and the like have done to DESTROY Britain. It looks like they want to make us part of the USSR

I'm not sure whether this is supposed to be taken at face value, or whether it's sarcastic.

But whichever you meant, this has nothing to do with the topic at hand. There are plenty of other fora to discuss politics.
Blindandstupid
2nd Former

Post by Blindandstupid »

I am replying to "Lenny" or "Ash" as he may have been named, and I am in agreement with Bill.

Before I start - Lenny, I am so sorry that you had such an appalling time, and that a House that I was associated with, and in part way responsible for allowed this to happen. I fell ashamed that I was so self absorbed that I didn't notice your pain. I am sorry.

I was also in Maine A ,85-'86 - Deps and Grecians, and unless I really am blind and stupid - I was unaware of any bullying that went on if you did not toe the party line. I really don't think any of my year (leavers '86), gave enough of a sh1t about anything, and especially the "reputation of the house". Everyone knew we were a bit of a waste of space and drank a lot.

Yes there was a drinking culture in Lamb B/Maine A.

Yes, it was a problem and the staff abdicated all responsibility to care for very drunk children to the house monitors.

Yes, I was invited up to Richard McCall's flat along with others for saturday night - post "club" drinking sessions. The members of these sessions were not just from Maine A, I have photographs showing School monitors from other houses as well. I wasn't a particularly cool or good looking kid, I was vice house captain and I always thought that was why I was invited. However - most of the other kids there were cool, good looking and in positions of responsibility in the school. I was probably the MIdwich Cuckoo.

Yes, these sessions were "proper" booze. No cans of warm Carling here, Scotch and red wine was freely available. You didn't ask to refill, you just went to the drinks table and helped yourself.

Yes, in hindsight these were grooming sessions - see below.

Yes, McCall did try it on with me, the first Old Blues day after I left, he invited me to stay at his flat. Young and naive as I was - I thought how kind! After another mammoth drinking session I went to bed in the spare room, and was woken up to the feel of bristles on my chin as McCall tried to shove his tongue down my throat. I pushed him away and said "Richard - I think you've got the wrong idea". He then left. I was 6 foot 3 and doing a hugely physical job as a meat porter at that stage of my life and I think this had something to do with his quick retreat.

Yes, I wish I had complained to the police then, but in 1987 what would have happened? I was also very drunk, and I believe that I may have stood on the table in the masters dining hall, dropped my trousers and "mooned" the picture of Derek Baker...... I'm not sure if my complaint would have been taken seriously on it's own merit. That could just be me trying to salve my conscience however.

Strangely enough - I think that Andrew Husband gave me a lift to wherever I was going (London?) the next day. McCall organised the lift for me.

I have spoken to the police, when I said that I didn't want to do anything, as I was not harmed and was big enough and ugly enough to look after myself. After reading this thread, and a recent experience I have had, I am going to be recontacting Sussex police and giving them photographs of the flat during the sessions (they're not very exciting, but clearly show pupils drinking scotch and red wine). I will also be sending some other photo's that may be of interest to the police.

I loved my time at CH, and I am so sorry that it was obviously bl**dy awful for so many. Lenny, I'm sorry I didn't do more, I only have my inexperience, immaturity and self-absorption to excuse my inaction.

Having said all of this - I would not be doing the job I am now without all that CH taught me. I have a lot to be thankful for. Truly conflicted.

Pete
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have deleted your duplicated post Peter.
JR.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

Thank you for your post, Peter. (Would it be possible for mods to delete the irrelevant political squabbling above? This is an important discussion)

The fact that Husband gave you a ride is very significant. I believe this is evidence of long term collusion, basically a paedophile ring, between Dobbie, Husband, McCall and at least one other teacher who I won't name now though you'll hear him mentioned in the Housey Rap.

The event on old blues day is very similar my own experience on an old blues day in 1997, but I have very little recollection of events.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Peter, you have joined a lot of the dots together. Thanks.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Thank you Peter, so pleased you feel able to report this awful event and to share relevant materials with the Police. They may be able to let you know if McCall is alive or not, I am sure many people on here would be interesting in knowing.

Thank you once again.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

If he is still alive, it give us a good idea why he is making himself scarce.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

bakunin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 pm (Would it be possible for mods to delete the irrelevant political squabbling above? This is an important discussion)
Fair enough - these comments (which include my own) are probably 'off topic'. Moderators please feel free to move my comment above to an overtly political thread such as 'Is private education overrated?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

loringa wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:36 pm
bakunin wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:48 pm (Would it be possible for mods to delete the irrelevant political squabbling above? This is an important discussion)
Fair enough - these comments (which include my own) are probably 'off topic'. Moderators please feel free to move my comment above to an overtly political thread such as 'Is private education overrated?

I'll leave a decision to Julian on this one.
Blindandstupid
2nd Former

Post by Blindandstupid »

All. I am pleased that my comments have been useful.

Lenny, it’s probably not what you wanted to hear - I’d be very interested in more detail to see if it jogs my memory. Please PM me with some more hints as to who B***** and his gang were so that I know that I’m not going mad and was not some form of strong arm paedo ring recruiter/enforcer in a previous life?

Back to the job in hand :
1. McCall is still alive and living overseas. To get him back would require an extradition warrant.
2. I could press charges if I wanted - but my case is a bit thin as I was drunk, over 18, and ultimately he didn’t do me any harm . Therefore I am willing to go in with someone else if harm was caused at another time as further proof , if needed. Please PM me if my assistance is required.
Peter
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Your case isn't thin. It was a sexual assault on you. End of.

Where do you think McCall is living?