We have adopted.........................

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

huntertitus
Button Grecian

Re: We have adopted.........................

Post by huntertitus »

He doesn't speak English but does meaow back whenever I meaow at him.

It works with cows and sheep too if you make a good imitation of them
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And Robins (and I don't mean the Huntertitus variety!)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

When I was a child I once fed a robin crumbs and kept very still as I did so and the bird came closer and closer and then it hopped onto my foot! I was amazed at how seemingly tame the little bird was. Whenever I clear leaves in the garden a robin will come to eat the grubs I've uncovered, but of course since having the cat there are far fewer birds in the garden, though he hasn't ever caught one, he seems only to like catching rodents.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

What's the name of the lovely silver tabby, Robin?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Angela Woodford wrote:(Off Topic! :wink: 20 more posts and I'll be at 2000!!)

No - I still don't like the idea of a cat in a collar, let alone a collar with a bell.

A collar doesn't tie in with the dignity and superior bearing of a cat. Collars are all right for - pant pant, loll tongue, woof, anxious-to-please, woof, put-on-a-lead - dogs....

I applaud those cats that Ann and NEILL describe; who cunningly managed to shed this symbol of servitude!
I agree in principle, but in an area where there are a lot of unneutered strays a catflap with a magnet or whatever is really a necessity, and that means a collar - or a highly expensive gadget programmed to their microchips (I don't think so). And I suspect (sucks earpiece of spectacles thoughtfully) that Rachel and Esther are prepared to sacrifice a bit of dignity etc in the interests of being able to go in and out at will. Their superior bearing seems completely unaffected - they know they rule the world, collars or not. Mind you, finding them plain black collars was a real challenge.
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Angela Woodford wrote:What's the name of the lovely silver tabby, Robin?
Minny - don't ask me why - he's a boy, after all, but thats what Lady Sainsbury named him.
Actually he also answers to Billy and Willy.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

huntertitus wrote:He doesn't speak English but does meaow back whenever I meaow at him.

It works with cows and sheep too if you make a good imitation of them
and chooks and ducks.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

huntertitus wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:What's the name of the lovely silver tabby, Robin?
Minny - don't ask me why - he's a boy, after all, but thats what Lady Sainsbury named him.
Actually he also answers to Billy and Willy.
Possibly Lady Sainsbury got the cat book upside down on the "sexing your kitten" page?

Point taken on your catflap requirement, Mary! :) A house nearby has a splendid utility room with a tumble drier vent fitted. It's hilarious to see their fluffy cat work up a speed and crash himself through it - kerpow!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
huntertitus
Button Grecian

Post by huntertitus »

Can any of you cat lovers recommend a decent catflap? The one we had in our last house let in a howling cold draught through the cracks all around where the flap flaps open, and on windy days the wind would open it wide even though it had magnets supposed to hold it shut.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I think this is the one we have (model no. 254).

http://www.pet-mate.com/ShopOnline.aspx ... egory_id=1

The cats have to wear a magnet on their collars but it looks from the website as if they've changed the design. Ours have the barrel shaped ones that are threaded on to the collar (if you click on the Products page you'll see it). However the new design looks smaller with a keyring type loop. My experience is that the smaller magnets can sometimes be a problem.

For a while, we had a different make (??Staywell??) that was purely magnetic and didn't need batteries. It sounded a good idea but we found it just didn't work as well, and the magnets were too small.

Standard electromagnetic ones seem to work well though in theory any other cat with a similar catflap (and therefore a similar collar magnet) could get through. We don't have that problem. But there is a higher level of security if you need it, with personalised id/magnets so that only cats wearing the appropriate tags for that individual catflap can get through. They're obviously more expensive and you'd need to keep the details safe in order to obtain the correct replacements if needed.

Our main problem is that occasionally our cats lose their collars and therefore their magnets. We keep a supply of spares collars, magnets and ready-engraved id tags just in case!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Larry, the new Downing Street cat!

Tabby and white... he looks fierce enough to catch a rat?

A new face in politics!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:Larry, the new Downing Street cat!

Tabby and white... he looks fierce enough to catch a rat?

A new face in politics!

..... and saved from a pen in the Batterseas Dogs and Cats home.

I wish him well. I see he already has his own personal little sofa !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote: No - I still don't like the idea of a cat in a collar, let alone a collar with a bell.
A collar doesn't tie in with the dignity and superior bearing of a cat. Collars are all right for - pant pant, loll tongue, woof, anxious-to-please, woof, put-on-a-lead - dogs....
Angela: please don't be like that, please again. The area round the farm has become so infested by feral cats that the lady mayor has come to a decision. Any cat not wearing a collar (to show that it is owned) will be destroyed. Period.

As for your latter point, back in November there was a joint RSPCA and Police raid in Hertfordshire. Through unfortunate circumstances (injury and loss of employment) an elderly couple were no longer able to look after their 25 Irish Setters. We fostered one - an 8 year old puppy farm bitch who had been kept in a too small cage - until she left last week. When she came she was terrified, couldn't eat and so weak she couldn't get her hind legs close to straight. Even now she has trouble with garden steps and simply cannot climb up stairs. As for her coat, where she had been lying in the excrement, they had had to shave her. She has now gone to a permanent home where there is another Irish Setter and she is in good condition. We cannot keep her - she had some disease with the effect that she cannot be given any injections and therefore cannot get a pet passport. Yes, Angela. As you write, she has a collar.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

David.. what a dreadful story. I feel so sorry about your adopted puppy farm bitch - and her siblings, offspring etc. People criticise me for going out to work and leaving my little (originally unwanted but now hugely loved) adopted dog - now 14 years old, and twin cats - now ten years old - for hours on end. However,in my absence they have access to food, water and comfortable bedding as well as relevant toilet facilities, so they 'suffer' circumstances which are negligible compared to those you describe. I can't believe that anyone would leave an animal lying in their own excrement to the extent that their coat needed to be cut away.
I would just add that all my animals wear collars - the two cats which now have to be 'indoor' cats in my new home, and the dog who does get a walk a couple of times a week. I would rather they wear a collar which would identify them as being owned and loved (in addition to the microchips, which they all have) should there be any accident and they 'escape'.
Having said that, I wish Larry (the tabby/white cat) every happiness in his new home at a prestigious address, and hope that he catches the rats which the BBC filmed....
Wonder if he is wearing some sort of micro video camera.....????
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We had some Council Pest Operatives in the office yesterday as some rats had been seen behind some properties we let. Not our tenants fault, they are just round the corner from a couple of fast food places and people walk past on the way to the carpark. I suggested getting a cat, but they reckoned that most rats can see of a cat, and a terrier is what is needed. Certainly at the nursery my Dad and Grandfather had the dog used to get the rats, leaving mice to the cats.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"