Do privileges still exist at CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

englishangel wrote: Now get on with your work so you get good A Levels and a good place at Uni
I say.

However, our year is quite bad for working - complacency! We do however, work when needed. Possibly not the best work ethic ever.

The real world beckons.
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

darthmaul wrote:
englishangel wrote: Now get on with your work so you get good A Levels and a good place at Uni
I say.

However, our year is quite bad for working - complacency! We do however, work when needed. Possibly not the best work ethic ever.

The real world beckons.
I have 2 who will be 17 in 3 weeks so I know exactly what it is like.

Good luck
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

englishangel wrote:
I have 2 who will be 17 in 3 weeks so I know exactly what it is like.

Good luck
Ta
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Darthmaul - to be honest, the majority of the changes happened in the 90's - you are seeing a continuing erosion of the hierarchical system...

With the removal of the hierarchy - another system should have been put in place, but instead you have chaos...

I always used the old maxim at school that if respect was given to me, it would be given back...

All the non-foundationers' parents would be teachers (or staff such as matrons etc)

I was a rare case where I was a non-foundationer and a son of an Old Blue...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:Darthmaul - to be honest, the majority of the changes happened in the 90's - you are seeing a continuing erosion of the hierarchical system...

With the removal of the hierarchy - another system should have been put in place, but instead you have chaos...

I always used the old maxim at school that if respect was given to me, it would be given back...

All the non-foundationers' parents would be teachers (or staff such as matrons etc)

I was a rare case where I was a non-foundationer and a son of an Old Blue...
Funnily enough, I was told that only a few days ago, Plum.

Welcome to the mad-house, darthmaul.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Amongst the numerous customs associated with Christ's Hospital, may be noticed the "Supping in Public." This ceremony formerly took place in the dining-hall, on the seven Sunday evenings preceding Easter Sunday, and on the evening of that day, but it has been altered to Thursday evening. The supper consisted of cheese in wooden bowls, beer in wooden piggins, and bread brought in huge baskets. At the present day supper consists of bread and butter and milk. After supper an anthem is sung, and the "bowing round " begins. On Easter Tuesday the boys visit the Mansion House, and receive from the Lord Mayor their Easter gifts. To the fifteen Grecians a guinea is given, and to the nine probationers half a guinea, to the forty-eight Monitors half a crown, and to the ordinary scholars a shilling. Each boy also receives a glass of wine and two buns. One of the privileges of the "Mathemats," as they are called, is their annual presentation at Court, when they exhibit their maps and charts to the Sovereign, and receive gold pencil-cases or similar gifts.

Source: The Illustrated London News, No.2256—Vol. LXXXI, Saturday, July 29, 1882, p.122

I bet this one doesn't exist any more.
Last edited by shoz on Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

It's good to be rare eh JR?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:It's good to be rare eh JR?
.... Unless its a woman, then it should be 'Well Done'

(I feel a response winging my way from certain quarters !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

shoz wrote:Amongst the numerous customs associated with Christ's Hospital, may be noticed the "Supping in Public." This ceremony formerly took place in the dining-hall, on the seven Sunday evenings preceding Easter Sunday, and on the evening of that day, but it has been altered to Thursday evening. The supper consisted of cheese in wooden bowls, beer in wooden piggins, and bread brought in huge baskets. At the present day supper consists of bread and butter and milk. After supper an anthem is sung, and the "bowing round " begins. On Easter Tuesday the boys visit the Mansion House, and receive from the Lord Mayor their Easter gifts. To the fifteen Grecians a guinea is given, and to the nine probationers half a guinea, to the forty-eight Monitors half a crown, and to the ordinary scholars a shilling. Each boy also receives a glass of wine and two buns. One of the privileges of the "Mathemats," as they are called, is their annual presentation at Court, when they exhibit their maps and charts to the Sovereign, and receive gold pencil-cases or similar gifts.

Source: The Illustrated London News, No.2256—Vol. LXXXI, Saturday, July 29, 1882, p.122

You are a man of rare intuition!

Have you exhausted the internet's supply of information about Apollo 13 yet, Shoz?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

shoz wrote:One of the privileges of the "Mathemats," as they are called, is their annual presentation at Court, when they exhibit their maps and charts to the Sovereign, and receive gold pencil-cases or similar gifts.

I have a picture tho'

shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Richard Ruck wrote:
You are a man of rare intuition!

Have you exhausted the internet's supply of information about Apollo 13 yet, Shoz?
I will never exhaust that supply, I always seem to be able to find something new about the mission. The fault actually occured years before the launch... but I wont bore you all.
For the record, the film was ok, but ruined by over-acting.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I took my son to see it for his birthdday with some mates and had a migraine. Had to leave the cinema as they entered the atmosphere to throw up.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

awww poor lad! What did he think of the film up to that point though? Or did his headache totally ruin it?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:
Now get on with your work so you get good A Levels and a good place at Uni
softie: there was a time when to have a chance of going to Uni you had to get three "S" levels because otherwise your parents couldn't afford to have you not bringing money into the house.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

shoz wrote:Amongst the numerous customs associated with Christ's Hospital, may be noticed the "Supping in Public."

No but I had seen that quote before.

The closest is the annual St Matthews Day parade when a representative sample (only a couple of hundred) of pupils would march to St Sepulchure's (?sp) Church beside the Old Bailey and later be received for a reception at the Guildhall. We used to be given a newly minted shilling each year by the Lord Mayor.

In 1953 the entire school of 850 boys plus 250 girls did the march with maybe three full bands - we had to break step to avoid destroying London Bridge and afterwards to try to keep step with a band in front of you and another behind was far from easy. I've got photos of that (and Col A) but there is copyright on them.

Further, the City has a myriad of old fashioned ceremonies and the Senior grecian is required to attend a couple each year, even giving a "Loyal Address" AFAIR
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!