What Funerary Arrangements Would You Want?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: What Funerary Arrangements Would You Want?

Post by englishangel »

I think those of the Jewish faith call it 'sitting seder' and it involves a lot of food!
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I think the actual 'funeral' actually stems from the Victorian days, of wearing black and mourning for weeks and weeks.

Jan and I see it far more, as a Celebration of the Life of.....

The overcoat is disposed of, and the contents, (spirit) remain with those loved ones left behind.

There will be NO gloom and doom at our services; no dark clothing and definitely no sombre dirges, though Jan wants a version of 'Send in The Clowns' played.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

so she expects to go first then John?
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

According to #2 stepdaughter, the world will end on 21/12/2012 (so says Mayan numerology) so we'll all go together when we go etc.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Chrissie Boy wrote:I'm thinking maybe I'd ask to have The Smurf Song played at the crematorium when I die, just to see how far you can get away with taking the pi55.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4MHNkT7b1Y&NR=1

A few pole-dancers wouldn't go amiss either, though by 2040 such things will probably be seen as rather tame.

Everyone attending the crematorium would be obliged to dress as Smurfs, obviously.

I'm coming to YOUR funeral, Chrissie Boy - invited or not!! Wouldn't miss that for the world!!
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

midget wrote:According to #2 stepdaughter, the world will end on 21/12/2012 (so says Mayan numerology) so we'll all go together when we go etc.
I have this discussion with my masseur (who himself is spiritual) - apparently we are coming to the end of a 26,000 year cycle when the world is going to replenish itself. The really (well I think so!) interesting thing is that a number of deeply spiritual people that I know and who are usually really level headed are all talking of the same feeling of a deep searching feeling (and of uncertainty) within themselves. Now I don't know what (if anything) this means - but I find it fascinating.

......ok before someone says it...........I know........ :offtopic:

Wicked mood today!!!
:wink: :wink:
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Don't worry about being off topic, they all wander off from time to time.

Two of my offspring have put spiritual as their religion on the census form.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

midget wrote:According to #2 stepdaughter, the world will end on 21/12/2012 (so says Mayan numerology) so we'll all go together when we go etc.
- but will we be holding hands when we go? Folks need to know.....

Definitely poor teaching at CH; we never touched on the fourth dimension so how can we check the Mayan mathematicians' calculations?

Another question - is that the Gregorian calendar, Holocene, Julian, Lunar, Tzolkin or some other calendar? We have to remember that they used a ritual calendar of 260 days so don't start writing a will for the next cycle just yet. There is even a suggestion that in the Mayan calendar 2012 has already passed. There are some fun web sites all about this subject so you won't be posting here for a while :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:Don't worry about being off topic, they all wander off from time to time.

You have to certify the accuracy of their answers and the courts will be full of cases about alleged inacccuracies. I wasn't a doctor but my writing is abysmal and I did work in places where numbers are formed differently . There is one glaring problem; some London schools have to teach in up to 100 different languages but the form is in English (only notes come in a limited variety of languages) and must be completed in English using western characters and numbers and certified in English.

The rumour is that next census everyone will need to have a Tesco Clubcard (obviously some politician has been nobbled!)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We are doing it online where writing doesn't matter

I have started a new forum on the Census viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3871 before this one wanders too far :offtopic:
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

englishangel wrote:Don't worry about being off topic, they all wander off from time to time.

I wasnt really Ma'am - just showing off my grasp of smilies!!!!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

i have been 'fortunate' to have only been to three funerals... my grandfather, Angie's grandfather and I sang at a funeral of an old lady at my church.

My grandpa's funeral was fairly conventional - my grandparents went to a small 'free' church in Henfield (not the happy clappy type but the 'filled with old dears' type) and it was a service that would have suited him. Simply done, with some of his favourite hymns; his coffin was wicker and the small place was packed. The only person who went to the crematorium was their pastor.

Angie's grandpa lived into his 90's independently in Woodingdean near Brighton - he was the church organist in the little norman church in the village until he was 90 - this was a traditional service and he was buried next to his wife in the churchyard - it was a lovely service.

Finally, and most recently, was Olwen's funeral. She was one of those ladies whose life was the church she worshipped at and she pretty much lived there. The congregation came out to pay their respects. This was a formal requiem mass as she had requested (it is pretty special to see the Anglican church in its full finery at one of these events) - it would have been exactly how she wanted it...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

My dad, a convinced atheist, announced to me during his confused later days that he had left his body to 'the Council'.
"To the Council?" I queried (thinking that the zeal for reycling was going a bit far...) "What do they want your body for?".
"I don't know and I don't care" came the reply, "You just need to let them have me when I'm gone. You won't need to make any arrangements, they'll take care of everything."
"But who are 'they'?" I asked, "Who will I need to contact?"
"I've already told you, the Council. You won't need to do anything."
By this stage I was getting somewhat exasperated. "But of course we'll need to do something! For example, how will 'the Council' know that you're dead?"
Dad gave me a long and withering look...
"I would hope" he replied slowly, "that that will be bleeding obvious!"

Needless to say, although when the time came we did everything possible to respect dad's wishes with a low-key and secular funeral service, the Council were not involved...
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

:lol: :lol: :lol: ------- Should have been on the "Jokes" topic !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Absolutely Priceless, ailurophile.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.