New Entrants'Day

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Re: New Entrants'Day

Post by YadaYada »

Uncrested white polo shirts, uncrested navy trackpants and uncrested shadow shorts and rugby shorts.

I got some from the Thrift Shop, some from Ebay shops, some from Tescos and some from http://www.newitts.com/home. :)

Yes, we were told that too re the mouthguards but I draw the line at expensive moulded mouthguards for a boy who runs in the opposite direction whenever he sees a ball. I was quite prepared to fight the battle if he was pulled up for it. He also was quite prepared to have a detention where he could do some work for not having proper equipment. Needlesstosay, no-one said anything.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

You'll find most supermarkets sell packs of plain white polo shirts, plus plain navy shorts and tracksuits. I did find myself needing a sports shop for the long navy socks and shin pads.
Volupturaptor
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Volupturaptor »

The thing is, if the DIY mouthguards are so bad, why are they being sold a) at all? b) at the school itself?
Tis madness... :roll:
I can only come to the conclusion that they may not be as good, but must be ok really!
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

I can't comment on what sports kit a boy would need however, shopping options for school uniform in the Horsham area are Broadbridges in Piries Place(they are the old school supplier but are also the main supplier for most of the state schools in the area, note they aren't open on a Sunday), BHS in Swan Walk, Tesco's in Broadbridge Heath, the later two will no doubt have the best deals, Tesco's multi packs are a blessing when on a budget. There isn't a decent sports shop in Horsham (IMHO) however a large chain is hoping to open a branch here in the next couple months. Alternatively you could go over to Crawley (20 minute drive from Horsham) there are various sports and clothes shops dotted around the County Mall that will suit your needs.

Most of our Kukri order didn't turn up until the the first half term however they did have the sense to send it straight to my DD at school rather than home, the lovely matrons even sorted out the labels for us.
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Hi Lippizaner, we also got one set of crested, and like MW224, a size or two larger than dd was at the time. The rest is uncrested, and she's not in any teams so that's fine. We got a fair bit from the thrift shop - after pinkhebe raided it :wink: :D ( some things were different, obviously). I could ask dd to find out what time the thrift shop opens on NED.

The doc Martins we got from Broadbridges in Horsham - opposite Waitrose, we got the current size, and the next one for her to grow into :D . They were around £42 to £47 - I can't remember exactly, and dont know how they compare to ebay. There is also a fabric shop that sells the tape for the sock ties. The name labels you can order from cash's online - the school uses a particular size and font, and they're red, and huge !! And get loads, because all the civvies need to get labelled too.

I wouldn't get a boil in the bag mouth guard - because my dd has already had orthodontic work, her teeth aren't so firm in her jaw, and I don't want to risk any damage. The schools orthodontist is a lot cheaper than dd's own which was £65 ! ( will be using the schools next time !). The school did them at the start of the first term.
Last edited by Atticus on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

All of our uncrested sports stuff came from tescos/asda/primark. DS has never worn his plain jogging bottoms though :roll: .

The only items I have bought from kukri are 2 crested rugby shorts. All the other crested stuff came from the thrift shop. If you are able to try to book an appointment with the thrift shop and go the day before to buy some stuff. Matron knew we were coming and sorted out some stuff in ds's size to try on. Also she got the house rugby shirt which we couldn't find anywhere and sewed his name on at the beginning of term :D

Do NOT underestimate how many name tags you will need, especially when you consider all the socks you need to label.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Atticus wrote:We got a fair bit from the thrift shop - after pinkhebe raided it :wink: :D .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(thrift shop matron is my son's matron, she is indeed lovely and very helpful)
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

So, that's one little economy anyway! Wonder where you can buy them in France? I shall investigate, after all, they DO play rugby reasonably well, if not in schools. I think there is a club in a town not too far away, if all else fails, I shall ask there. Or maybe Decathlon.
That will be a fun shopping trip for DS - a mouthguard and a box or jock strap. Come to think of it, they probably don't do boxes here as they don't play cricket.
I'll leave that one to one of his brothers and sisters on a leave weekend!
Funny story.
A friend of mine rode and had here own horses. Her rather shy and retiring middle aged husband decided he wanted to learn to ride. He was not comfortable at all in the nether regions, so he decided he ought to get himself a jock strap.
Off he went to the small (and only at that time) sports shop in the town. It had a double window display on either side of the door.
He was rather hoping for the elderly male assistant, but what he got was the Saturday girl.
And the only jock strap they had was in the window display, so she had to climb into it and retrieve it for him.
My friend had great amusement telling me this, so no doubt she told all her friends.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

What colour are the two games shirts they have to have then? Same, or different?
I appreciate the house shirt will have to be bought when I know what house he is in.
Looking on newitts right now!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

White polo shirts are worn as games tops. I wouldn't worry too much about the cricket equipment, we haven't bought ours yet, as they're only used in the summer term.

I think you'll be able to buy the house rugby shirt on NE day
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Pinkhebe, your matron is very lovely, and incredibly helpful and knowledgeable. Dd loves spending her pocket money in there (even more than in tuck shop, sorry Mrs C!).
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

What is there for your DD to buy in the Thrift shop? I have visions of her going through piles of second hand socks. Sorry, trying to be funny but not very successful. Is there food in there too? I think I mean ordinary rugby tops, not t-shirts. They are on the list and are about £30+ each, so wondered if we could get cheaper ones somewhere.
Tescos polo shirts I gather are okay. Brill.
Actually, I do really love sewing and will do a bit at a time. My mum is a needlework teacher so I must have inherited it. Not that I did it at school - I HATED needlework at school!
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

The cheap boiling water mouthguards are ok in an emergency (if you lose your mouthguard). However considering the number of hours a mouthguard gets worn it is worth getting the more expensive type from the school dentist. They are much more comfortable than a cheap temporary one. That is the point of the more expensive ones, they are more comfortable to wear for extended periods.
Last edited by CHDad on Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

My DS managed to lose his expensive mouthguard after"'the box broke"! :evil: It is worth mentioning to your children that spare boxes can be purchased (? from the health centre if I remember correctly), and are a great deal cheaper than having to buy a new mouthguard!!!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

We bought the rugby shirts from the thrift shop, I'm not sure there's another place to buy them from, as they are CH specific.

In the thrift shop you can buy (apart from clothes) trinkets, stationery (ds2 bought a geometry set whilst we were there, buying school stuff) birthday cards + badges, I think there was jewelry too