Out Of Bounds signs.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Out Of Bounds signs.

Post by michael scuffil »

The out-of-boundness of the Bird Sanctuary was always honoured more in the breach than in the observance, and it was a popular location for various activities considered nefarious (smoking, drinking, and sex). I imagine it still is, and the field of nefarious activities has obviously broadened.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Were there any no go areas that were not "out of bounds"
Chris B.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Were there any no go areas that were not "out of bounds"
Chris B.
Aren't they effectively the same? Apart from the corridor immediately behind the serving stations in Dining Hall you would need a good reason to permeate further into the kitchen area even if it were" specified as OOB. FDor that matter, were the Water Tower and the side shoots off the Tube specified as being OOB or was access simply forbidden? ISTR Shelleys Wood was OOB but .............
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Come to that, what's the status of Shelley's Wood anyway? Is public access allowed or not? If not, do OBs count as the public?

Not that I fancy traversing Slippery Slips in March after heavy rain, you understand.

I think I dimly remember a public footpath sign at the Itchingfield end of the wood, but whether that was the only public right of way, I dunno. Perhaps even that public footpath sign is a figment of my imagination.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

C 3 iii (c)
Shelley wood, the path along the Arun -- access only with verbal permission on each occasion.

Actually, an uncharacteristic slip-up by Seaman. He meant not 'verbal' but 'oral'.

(The 'path along the Arun' presumably included the Pill Box, my first encounter with grossly obscene graffiti.)

My memory fails me here: how did one get from the school to the Arun?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

michael scuffil wrote:C 3 iii (c)
Shelley wood, the path along the Arun -- access only with verbal permission on each occasion.

Actually, an uncharacteristic slip-up by Seaman. He meant not 'verbal' but 'oral'.

(The 'path along the Arun' presumably included the Pill Box, my first encounter with grossly obscene graffiti.)

My memory fails me here: how did one get from the school to the Arun?
Hurrah Michael, someone else who understands the difference between verbal and oral!!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Or maybe he meant you had to get a chit to be allowed to walk along by the Arun, hence verbal.

That way, after you'd been killed by the local oiks, the police'd find the chit on your body and know which master's fault it was that you'd been killed.
John Saunders
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by John Saunders »

The generator house was a small brick built structure erected adjacent to the dam at the outlet of the lake. obviously used to generate power with a hydraulic dynamo-all the rage these days- for the Drs House at that time occupied by Mr Newberry.
Further to the enquiry about Shelley Wood and access thereto. This was another area which I used to poach. it had a large pond with v large Rudd. It was possible to slink along the hedgeside,avoiding the attentions of the farm workers and be completely hidden from the outside world for the Tuesday afternoon hobby!.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Spoonbill wrote:Or maybe he meant you had to get a chit to be allowed to walk along by the Arun, hence verbal.
I don't think so. This chapter is full of the need for 'written permission' for other places, which was clearly the intended opposite of 'verbal'.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

John Saunders wrote:for the Drs House at that time occupied by Mr Newberry.
You mean Stammerham? The most sought-after married quarters on the estate (incidentally the 'Stammerham Estate' before CH acquired it). I never got to see it from the inside.
Th.B. 27 1955-63