Is There Such a Thing as CH Merchandise?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Is There Such a Thing as CH Merchandise?

Post by Spoonbill »

Back in the dim-and-distant, when I was a lad at CH and dodos still roamed the school estate, the only branded merchandise you could buy was tedious crap like CH notelets.

So what's the situation today? Is there a full-steam-ahead merchandising operation, with inflatable Houseyboys, miniature water-squirting models of the fountain and t-shirts bearing slogans like I've Been to Christ's Hospital and It Was Sh1te emblazoned across them?

If so, where on the Web can I load up with all that stuff?

And if no such garbage exists, would it be permissible for me to start my own independent merchandising empire, churning out marzipan School Chapels, peppermint rock Water Towers and gonks in Half Housey, or would I be getting myself into murky waters legally-speaking?
Last edited by Spoonbill on Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
time please
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: Is There Such a Thing as CH Merchandise?

Post by time please »

lol! What about an index for us who hated the place and or where destroyed by being there. I cannot believe that being at CH was the best thing that happened for every pupil.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Have you had a look at
http://www.chassociation.org/shop/
?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

It's all a bit tame, though, isn't it? I've seen racier stuff for sale in a cathedral gift shop.

It looks like the clothing's been out of stock for a while, so even if they did CH hoodies in XXXXXL size, I'd still be out of luck.

And I see there's no S T Coleridge soap-on-a-rope or eau-de-kiff body spray either.

Must try harder.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm told that 'SPRIM FOR MEN' is imminent !

:shock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

The cleaning fluid that's also a tasty drink?

I'll happily place an order once I've seen you sink an entire crateful.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Far better as after-shave !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I'd like an appropriately-scented candle in a mock Gumption tin. You know, like the varieties you can find at a NT shop.

I could lie back in my candlelit bath and revel in nostalgia for the wooden bath slat, the white canvas curtain on rings, my precious pot of Aqua Manda talc, the winceyette floral nightie, the sound of waiting bathers kicking their baskets along the black-and-white mottled bathroom floor.

The scent of the Gumption, released by the flickering flame, would bring it all back!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

White canvas curtains on rings? As in......privacy?

Dear god. What must that have been like?

It sounds suspiciously as if CH Hertford wasn't "designed to be gay".

How 'bout that.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

.......... and don't forget the strategically placed piece of thread tied around the chain of the bath plug to indicate the permitted water level during the Suez Crisis!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Ah, well now, Spoonbill. In 1's, our Junior House, an evil Housemistress, Millie, would sweep the curtain aside

a) "to check you weren't having more than 3" of bathwater".

b) in case of "having been in there for more than 3 minutes".

c) and I remember her dragging a wet screaming little girl out of the bath on suspicion of trying to wash her hair on a weekday .

There would often be someone on the other side, nudging at the curtain, trying to bag the bath or get you to hurry up. Used to make me a leetle bit anxious.

In any House the curtains sometimes didn't reach across, so anyone could easily peer at you. But modesty always prevailed. Heavens knows what could have happened if we'd got our kit off together, in twos, in threes, en masse.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

jhopgood wrote:Have you had a look at
http://www.chassociation.org/shop/
?
I would say 'what a load of toss' but there are only about five things.

I very seldom wear ties that signify 'belonging' but I've always thought that the CH one was particularly uninspiring (the striped one) - ones with crests are just downright naff. Couldn't CH go for a more Jon-Snowish tie?
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Angela Woodford wrote:Ah, well now, Spoonbill. In 1's, our Junior House, an evil Housemistress, Millie, would sweep the curtain aside

a) "to check you weren't having more than 3" of bathwater".

b) in case of "having been in there for more than 3 minutes".

c) and I remember her dragging a wet screaming little girl out of the bath on suspicion of trying to wash her hair on a weekday .

There would often be someone on the other side, nudging at the curtain, trying to bag the bath or get you to hurry up. Used to make me a leetle bit anxious.

In any House the curtains sometimes didn't reach across, so anyone could easily peer at you. But modesty always prevailed. Heavens knows what could have happened if we'd got our kit off together, in twos, in threes, en masse.
I've learnt from this forum (and not just here) that Hertford baths were curtained off (Horsham ones weren't). Which I find odd, as by hearsay I learn that all-female flatshares couldn't care less about privacy/modesty in this sense, while all-male ones (in my personal experience) do.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

michael scuffil wrote:
I've learnt from this forum (and not just here) that Hertford baths were curtained off (Horsham ones weren't). Which I find odd, as by hearsay I learn that all-female flatshares couldn't care less about privacy/modesty in this sense, while all-male ones (in my personal experience) do.
I think this male/female thing is a modern phenomenon because even at University in the gym changing rooms the female showers had curtains but the male ones didn't (I am told) but nowadays, at pool or gym we are usually all in it together.

At home the only person who locks the bathroom door is younger son! (aged 23)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

Fjgrogan wrote:.......... and don't forget the strategically placed piece of thread tied around the chain of the bath plug to indicate the permitted water level during the Suez Crisis!
In 8's we didn't have a thread then, it was a black line drawn all round the bath (goodness knows what with..) which made you notice it but stayed for ages!