Freemasons & CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Martin
LE (Little Erasmus)

Freemasons & CH

Post by Martin »

I read in the Forum that headmaster Oswald Flecker was an important freemason and that led me to think of further possible relevance to CH, for in the CHOBA’s monthly calendar of events, there are frequent notices of masonic meetings. So apparently masonic connections with CH are still strong.

One OB acquaintance has stopped subscribing to all OB publications and activities. This is because he very strongly disapproves of masons and believes that CH wrongly encourages them. He told me that at one meeting held at CH by masons, an information session turned into an attempt at recruitment. There were much publicised claims of masons’ corruption made some years ago, which he firmly believes. Although I have little knowledge of their organisation, I have read some vitriolic criticism and conspiracy theories. In contrast there are also indications that, while having fun with their secret rituals, they also quietly do excellent social work, giving much charity to a wide variety of recipients, who mostly have nothing to do with their own members or activities. I remember Alex Johnston (house master of Lamb A, teacher of French and hall warden) saying that his upbringing and education resulted from masons’ good will, for he had the equivalent of a presentation to the Masonic School (with no subsequent obligations to them), from which he went to Cambridge University. Unsurprisingly he thought the masons most excellent and generous benefactors.

So what is the overall opinion on this topic? If the past rumours of scandals amongst masons were true, have they cleansed their organisation? Or were those rumours unfounded?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Freemasons & CH

Post by Mid A 15 »

Martin wrote:I read in the Forum that headmaster Oswald Flecker was an important freemason and that led me to think of further possible relevance to CH, for in the CHOBA’s monthly calendar of events, there are frequent notices of masonic meetings. So apparently masonic connections with CH are still strong.

One OB acquaintance has stopped subscribing to all OB publications and activities. This is because he very strongly disapproves of masons and believes that CH wrongly encourages them. He told me that at one meeting held at CH by masons, an information session turned into an attempt at recruitment. There were much publicised claims of masons’ corruption made some years ago, which he firmly believes. Although I have little knowledge of their organisation, I have read some vitriolic criticism and conspiracy theories. In contrast there are also indications that, while having fun with their secret rituals, they also quietly do excellent social work, giving much charity to a wide variety of recipients, who mostly have nothing to do with their own members or activities. I remember Alex Johnston (house master of Lamb A, teacher of French and hall warden) saying that his upbringing and education resulted from masons’ good will, for he had the equivalent of a presentation to the Masonic School (with no subsequent obligations to them), from which he went to Cambridge University. Unsurprisingly he thought the masons most excellent and generous benefactors.

So what is the overall opinion on this topic? If the past rumours of scandals amongst masons were true, have they cleansed their organisation? Or were those rumours unfounded?
I don't really know enough about masons to comment.

I never got involved myself as my understanding is that you have to be asked and nobody ever did!

As I became a Roman Catholic some years after CH it's probably just as well.

In a previous life I was involved with a drama group which performed "murder evenings." We attended and performed at a few masons ladies nights and the natives appeared relatively normal.

My late father was in the London Fire Brigade and attended some masonic meetings. He never said anything about what happened there and I don't even know if he ended up joining.

That's about the sum total of my knowledge!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

You know, I've never heard Johnny being referred to as 'Alex' before. Although I knew him quite well, I never knew that was his name.

Dr Scott was a mason. His son told me he would erect masonic altars in the bachelor/widower house behind the sicker, not least to annoy his good friend, fellow resident and fellow OB Bill Kirby.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

OK, first things first: I am not a mason and never have been. I have occasionally received curious handshakes, but presumably I did not give the correct response as the matter was never pursued.
Masonry (is that the right word) has a long history at Housie. The first firm evidence that I know of are the pictures of the laying of the foundation stone at Horsham in the late 1890s, where most of the bearded gents involved (including the future King Edward VII) are all wearing masonic aprons. I also know for certain that an Old Blue, a Major Sir Algernon Tudor Tudor-Craig (scarcely a Housie name, but it takes all sorts!), KBE, FSA, PGD, was a very important mason. He was born in 1873 and attended C.H. from 1880 to 1887. He held numerous masonic ranks/titles, which included "Grand Standard Bearer (Royal Arch)" and "Assistant Grand Sojourner (Royal Arch)." I know these titles to be correct but have no idea of their significance. T-C was also secretary of the Christ's Hospital Lodge No 26590 from 1914 to 1924. He died in 1940.
David
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Like the posters above, I'm also NOT a mason, though I have been approached on a couple of occasions. It's just not my scene.

The idea of walking round with one trouser leg rolled up and wearing an apron seems somewhat daft to me !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

When I first joined the Navy, the Masons were a bit of a wardroom joke. I was approached to join once but the bloke was a bit of a tool and a joke himself.

Nowadays I just don't hear of them. I guess it's dying out.

The politics master at CH took against them (I'm pants with names) and was quite interesting on the topic, but even then I was unconvinced that they were some sinister force, just inadequates with boring day jobs? I've never seen them feature all that large on charitable donations either, but perhaps that's covert too?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Avon wrote:When I first joined the Navy, the Masons were a bit of a wardroom joke. I was approached to join once but the bloke was a bit of a tool and a joke himself.

Nowadays I just don't hear of them. I guess it's dying out.

The politics master at CH took against them (I'm pants with names) and was quite interesting on the topic, but even then I was unconvinced that they were some sinister force, just inadequates with boring day jobs? I've never seen them feature all that large on charitable donations either, but perhaps that's covert too?

Neil Simms?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Thats the feller. Mad as a box of frogs, ISTR that he was into petrol lawn mower racing. Nice guy though - so was his opposite number Yuri Bondov.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

In my day Jonstone (?sp) was known as bl**dy Johnnie. He had a dog called Iffie (for Iphegenia).

I never knew Tommy Scott was an OB. He wrote a pirce in the Labour manifesto of 1951 and that finished him for me as far as respect went.

It contnues to amaze me that OB posters on this site seem to know about the staff of their time as people. It never occurred to me to be interested in who they were in that way. My knowledge of them was formed entirely in the classroom.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Unless people are truly memorable, I remember them by resemblance. So Baker I remember as Baker, but his successor looked like Erich Honecker, and the one after that looked like Squidward from spongebob squarepants. Likewise, there was a housemaster who looked like Marvin Monroe from the Simpsons.

There was also a French master we called Herr Flick who was as severe as they came, and a female member of the clergy who also had 'something of the night' about her. Blowed if I can remember the names.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Avon wrote:Unless people are truly memorable, I remember them by resemblance. So Baker I remember as Baker, but his successor looked like Erich Honecker, and the one after that looked like Squidward from spongebob squarepants. Likewise, there was a housemaster who looked like Marvin Monroe from the Simpsons.

There was also a French master we called Herr Flick who was as severe as they came, and a female member of the clergy who also had 'something of the night' about her. Blowed if I can remember the names.

Sounds somewhat interesting ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

postwarblue wrote:In my day Jonstone (?sp) was known as bl**dy Johnnie. He had a dog called Iffie (for Iphegenia).

I never knew Tommy Scott was an OB. He wrote a pirce in the Labour manifesto of 1951 and that finished him for me as far as respect went.

It contnues to amaze me that OB posters on this site seem to know about the staff of their time as people. It never occurred to me to be interested in who they were in that way. My knowledge of them was formed entirely in the classroom.
SOME of the staff allowed their personalities (as opposed to their ability with the cane / slipper / whathaveyou or utter stupidity) to shine through. Kirby has been written about with some affection because of his eccentricities. Kit was, to juniors, a terror but, as you got older then his other side came through and especially after he had seen you outside school on the Broads (no, ladies, I am not referring to those with fewer scruples). After that he would let you "get away with" actions which were shading the rules or would quietly advise that a repetition might be a "bad idea".
When I was off for a week after my mother died the only staff to say anything were Kit (he had to break the news but also offered support afterwards) and the Chain who also offered support. Not a peep from any other staff member, even the two deputy housemasters. Ergo I remember then for teaching only
Dr. Scott was another whom I got to know well because of his first aid training and ideas a decade before their time. Enthusiastic, he was willing to go beyond the call of duty.

I have to wonder whether there was an element of fear that, if they were to be seen as human, they would lose the respect of the pupils.
Westondonkey
2nd Former

Post by Westondonkey »

A Duke is supposed to be the top rat in the Masonic ****house.

I worked at a University and the Head of Maintenance was a Freemason. A lot of the contractors were also Freemasons, and they always seemed to get the quotes for their contracts just right every time.

The Head of Maintenance interviewed me for a job and told me I had it, but I must not steal anything. He was later fined £1,000.00 or 6 months in prison for doing things to a contract.

The University had to apologise to the Head of Security in the University gazette and pay him £90,000.00 in damages for wrongful dismissal,because he was investigating senior members of the University.

The Duke was the Chancellor of the University.

Freemasons believe that the Earth started at 09.00 Monday 23 October 4004 BC.

I am not going to argue with Bishop Ussher of Armagh
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

OK, so nobody else is going to ask! What on earth has Bishop Ussher of Armagh got to do with it?
:shock: David
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

And what has this got to do with CH?
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'