Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Politics

Post by J.R. »

.... and I wasn't going to comment on 'Freaky's' outburst above. However, as stated before, I voted for Brexit and therefore was part of the majority. I think thats called DEMOCRACY ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

May I correct one specific item for the sake of accuracy? Reference has been made to the 'Herrstadt crisis' and 'covering up in secrecy.' In fact, the crisis was at the HERRSTATT (ie, 'statt' not 'stadt') bank in Koln and there is quite a lot about its troubled demise on the Internet, although it is certainly possible that some elements remain secret.
David :shock:
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Last edited by Avon on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Last edited by Avon on Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

J.R. wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 am .... and I wasn't going to comment on 'Freaky's' outburst above. However, as stated before, I voted for Brexit and therefore was part of the majority. I think thats called DEMOCRACY ?
My bold. Correct use of the past tense. You’re in the minority now. The referendum should re-run and we should correct this nonsense. Interestingly, that too would be democracy.

Funny old world, innit?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I'm just picking myself up off the floor. Avon and I are on the same side of the fence for once. I know that opinion polls aren't totally reliable but the last four have put Remain in the ascendancy by anything from two to six points. Foureyes's language skills and parental ancestry are all very well but could people please try and advance some reasons for their Leave vote. I've advanced the dire economic consequences that I think will ensue if we don't get the single market or customs union, and indeed several manufacturing companies have now voiced their concerns. Then there's the loss of financial business if we don't get the financial passport. Banks and other institutions are already booking floor space in Frankfurt, Paris and other centres against this eventuality. The really big loss will be what's called Euro Clearing which is worth a fortune to the City and the tax to the Exchequer. Paris is already agitating for this since it says, with some justification, that we will be neither in the Euro nor the EU. Also in this weekend's broadsheets are interviews with staff in the nearly seventy-year-old NHS who are fretting about the loss of foreign staff in an already overstretched health service.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Never before has the word REMOANERS been more adequately displayed.

I must read up on the laws of High Treason. Is Skittle Alley in the Tower of London still fit for use, I wonder ?
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Avon wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:04 pm
J.R. wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 am .... and I wasn't going to comment on 'Freaky's' outburst above. However, as stated before, I voted for Brexit and therefore was part of the majority. I think thats called DEMOCRACY ?
My bold. Correct use of the past tense. You’re in the minority now. The referendum should re-run and we should correct this nonsense. Interestingly, that too would be democracy.

Funny old world, innit?
I have had many conversations on this and have always been told that it was a democratic vote and that I should learn to live with it.
My starting position has been that it was a referendum, and not a vote for parliament, and that anyone who would have been directly affected by the result of the referendum, should have been allowed to participate. That would have included millions of long term British resident in Europe and their European counterparts in the UK.
Speaking for myself, and possibly for other long term expats, the only votes I have are in the local municipal elections and the European elections.
I do not consider that the referendum was democratic, and it was laziness on the part of the British Civil Service and Parliament, who would not change the rules to allow us to vote.
With the exception of more jobs for the Civil Servants and non productive paper pushers, I fail to see what the benefits of leaving the EU might be, when staying in, the UK would at least have a chance to improve the situation.
It seems to me that Cameron drove the UK to the cliff edge and May jumped. Not a good recipe for the future.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Steve Hilton gets a good slagging off from Nick Cohen in this Sunday's Observer. Hilto now appears to have completed a journey from left to right. Starting off by claiming to endorse old-fashioned one-nation conservatism in the Tory party he is now a regular on Murdoch's Fox News, hosting all sorts of dodgy alt-right political figures. Cohen calls him a little creep and a hollow man. Just to make him look even more sinister he is now totally bald and apparently has no eyebrows, making him resemble some kind of alien that might have cropped up in Star Trek.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

You’re in the minority now.
Evidence please. For proof you need a new vote and because the electorate has chosen to leave and there has been no new referendum your statement is unsubstantiated and reflects the views of the minority moaners who are out to destroy democracy
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm I fail to see what the benefits of leaving the EU might be, when staying in, the UK would at least have a chance to improve the situation.
Merkel is trying to succeed where Hitler failed.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:39 pm
jhopgood wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:20 pm I fail to see what the benefits of leaving the EU might be, when staying in, the UK would at least have a chance to improve the situation.
Merkel is trying to succeed where Hitler failed.
And now she seems to be losing control of even her own country, never mind Europe.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

sejintenej wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 pm
You’re in the minority now.
Evidence please. For proof you need a new vote and because the electorate has chosen to leave and there has been no new referendum your statement is unsubstantiated and reflects the views of the minority moaners who are out to destroy democracy
No evidence required. Even given the fact that some political leanings change with age, the demographics of the vote suggest that as the leave generation slowly expires, it is replaced by the remain generation.

Mathematically, we've already passed this point apparently, but all contributions gratefully accepted.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Avon wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:01 pm
No evidence required. Even given the fact that some political leanings change with age, the demographics of the vote suggest that as the leave generation slowly expires, it is replaced by the remain generation.

Mathematically, we've already passed this point apparently, but all contributions gratefully accepted.
Ah. Now I understand. Kill off the pro Brexit by taking such a long time that they are deaded and teach t, he school leavers the Labour line.

As for that latter. my son, working for his A levels in two types of maths was subjected to two weeks of Labour indoctrination by his maths teacher instead of maths teaching. He swore never ever to vote Labour because they tried to damage his schooling.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 pm
Avon wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:01 pm

Ah. Now I understand. Kill off the pro Brexit by taking such a long time that they are deaded and teach t, he school leavers the Labour line.

As for that latter. my son, working for his A levels in two types of maths was subjected to two weeks of Labour indoctrination by his maths teacher instead of maths teaching. He swore never ever to vote Labour because they tried to damage his schooling.
I'm afraid very much par for the course in the Corbynista era.