Husband & Dobbie - VERDICTS

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Bishbashbosh
3rd Former

Re: Husband & Dobbie - VERDICTS

Post by Bishbashbosh »

In case it isn't clear (I haven't read the various media reports), both found guilty on all counts. Husband will be sentenced first, Dobbie after pre-sentence reports.

Maybe a week for the former, perhaps a month for the latter.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

When does Karim get the good news?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Spoonbill wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:21 pm
J.R. wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:58 pm.... and of course, they still have the right of appeal.
....and I'm sure Husband most definitely will. After all, he's the only one with a cat in hell's chance.

I've a sneaking feeling Burr may well be back in court in due course, in connection with incidents which may or may not have occurred on his narrowboat (always provided any OBs actually want to put their heads up above the parapet and admit to having fallen victim).
The fact that Burr was allowed to keep taking boys on his narrow boat was always a mystery to me, especially as we all knew that Webb was suspect.

Any OB's abused on such holidays have decent claims against the school for putting them in a position of danger.
jakew
3rd Former

Post by jakew »

Avon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:25 pm Hopefully the media will now correctly describe Dobbie as Chaplain to properly identify the magnitude of the abuse of trust that he committed.
Again, the press reports have all repeated this line, which I think comes from the Press Association account of "Day 1".
She reported him to the school’s chaplain but no action was taken. (talking about the complainant in the Husband case)

What the PA reporter - and consequently everyone else who cribbed his "prep" - seems to have missed was that the chaplain in question was the other defendant in the case!
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Avon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm When does Karim get the good news?
JR has pointed out to me that Karim is apparently now being sentenced in August.

My own expectation is that all three will be sentenced together and there will be Probation Reports on all three, which take about four weeks to prepare. So I would expect prize day for all three will be in early August.

Asking around professional colleagues, the rape alone is likely to be worth 15 years imprisonment. Whatever will the Pickering Rotary Club think of such a pillar of the community ?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:46 pm
Avon wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm When does Karim get the good news?
JR has pointed out to me that Karim is apparently now being sentenced in August.

My own expectation is that all three will be sentenced together and there will be Probation Reports on all three, which take about four weeks to prepare. So I would expect prize day for all three will be in early August.

Asking around professional colleagues, the rape alone is likely to be worth 15 years imprisonment. Whatever will the Pickering Rotary Club think of such a pillar of the community ?
Perhaps it's considered the norm in Yorkshire.

(Dons tin hat and heads for the bunker !!)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

J.R. wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:30 pm
Perhaps it's considered the norm in Yorkshire.

(Dons tin hat and heads for the bunker !!)
By 'eck, tha's cruisin' fer a reet good thumpin', tha soft Southern get.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

From The School:

https://www.christs-hospital.org.uk/old ... july-2018/

I wish i’d been to the CH they describe, not the one the court heard about.

Poulton, Cairncross, Sillett, Fleming et al - go hang. You absolutely failed in your duty.
Last edited by Avon on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

It is a long trek but I am considering turning up for Husband's sentence next week. Just to hear it for myself.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

I bet they postpone it when the day comes and you end up sitting in a seedy hotel room for another ten days in the sweltering heat, beating the flies off with a rolled-up newspaper while the wallpaper unpeels itself. I get the impression that it's that kind of court.
Last edited by Chrissie Boy on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
postwarblue
Deputy Grecian

Post by postwarblue »

At what point do questions get asked (let alone answered) about what reference Shrewsbury received regarding Dobbie and who at CH signed it off?

One hopes for truly deterrent sentences but no doubt there will be special pleading for the criminals.
'Oh blest retirement, friend to life's decline'
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Has it been reported anywhere which members of staff were witnesses at the trial? Fleming is mentioned but it’s not clear whether he was a witness.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

No it hasn't.

Husband was witness number 21, so the prosecution called 20 witnesses.

Witness 20 should have been the officer in the he case which means there were 19 other witnesses.

There was one complainant in relation to Husband and eight in relation to Dobbie.

So we do not know the identity of 10 witnesses.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Assuming all witnesses testified-does the witness count include those who might have submitted written testimony or video evidence or only those who appear in person?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Witnesses whose evidence is videoed will usually need to attend for cross examination and so will count to the total.

I have a feeling statements which are read do not count.