Who Knew What?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Who Knew What?

Post by TMF »

It depends how you define who, knew, and what.

On one occasion, probably in 1978 or 1979, the entire dining hall united in a chant of 'Pedo!, Pedo!, Pedo!, Pedo!, ...' while Peter Webb attempted to officiate at tea. This was extremely loud with a lot of shouting, banging of cutlery on tables, etc. with many hundreds of boys carrying out the chant. Peter Webb fled from the dining hall after a few minutes, and Mr. Fry arrived a few minutes later to restore order (which took Fry just a few gavel bangs). Too many boys were involved for punishments to be handed out. Peter Webb did not officiate in the dining hall any further following that event - although Webb continued at the school. So, as his duties were changed post-event, someone in authority must have known why this change in responsibility occurred and there might well be written documentation of this. For example, the Blue Book lists responsibilities for each master and Webb's responsibilities were changed following this event.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Yet he remained at the school for another 4 or 5 years. Then he enjoyed a further 30 years at liberty before a feeble judge gave him a lenient sentence partly because he might otherwise die in prison.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

TMF wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:16 am It depends how you define who, knew, and what.

On one occasion, probably in 1978 or 1979, the entire dining hall united in a chant of 'Pedo!, Pedo!, Pedo!, Pedo!, ...' while Peter Webb attempted to officiate at tea. This was extremely loud with a lot of shouting, banging of cutlery on tables, etc. with many hundreds of boys carrying out the chant. Peter Webb fled from the dining hall after a few minutes, and Mr. Fry arrived a few minutes later to restore order (which took Fry just a few gavel bangs). Too many boys were involved for punishments to be handed out. Peter Webb did not officiate in the dining hall any further following that event - although Webb continued at the school. So, as his duties were changed post-event, someone in authority must have known why this change in responsibility occurred and there might well be written documentation of this. For example, the Blue Book lists responsibilities for each master and Webb's responsibilities were changed following this event.
This is truly damning in itself. I've certainly never ever heard of the dining hall incident before.

If the school pupils knew about Webbs extra after hours activities, then it beggars belief that the school staff didn't !!!!

Even more proof of 'The School' pulling up the draw-bridge and doing an ostrich impression with a fire bucket of sand.

I wonder if, as another school year has finished, if Grecians will be on the phone to OB's, holding out their begging bowls ?

Somehow, given recent events, I rather doubt it !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jim Rayner
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jim Rayner »

TMF wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:16 am It depends how you define who, knew, and what.

And yet within 2 years (according to the transcript of the Sentencing Appeal hearing) in 1980 Webb was promoted to Housemaster.

Staggering!
LHA 67-70; ThA 70-74
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

What with all this talk of 'the school knew, but did nothing', my thoughts have turned to a bearded house-tutor who in the second half of the 1970s doubled as the c/o of the then-new Navy limb of the CCF. Whatever awful thing it was he did, he was expelled from the school staff post-haste, leaving a bad smell behind him. His name escapes me, but I believe he was only at CH for a couple of years. Surely I can't be the only person who remembers him?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Chrissie Boy wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:09 am What with all this talk of 'the school knew, but did nothing', my thoughts have turned to a bearded house-tutor who in the second half of the 1970s doubled as the c/o of the then-new Navy limb of the CCF. Whatever awful thing it was he did, he was expelled from the school staff post-haste, leaving a bad smell behind him. His name escapes me, but I believe he was only at CH for a couple of years. Surely I can't be the only person who remembers him?
It rings bells but the name escapes me.
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

Yes indeed Stan, I had been quietly wondering when someone might mention this character. I remember everything about him apart from his name; he didn't even manage a single full year from what I can recall. Lt Barret? Bartlett?? Come on memory, work damn you... The light rumour mill concerning him was that he'd faked his qualifications when applying for the job; the more dark stories added a motivation as to why he might have done that which put him down as a fellow traveller with Webb/Burr.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

What year was it ?

I am guessing about 76-77.
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

....of course the inconsistency which saw him removed in such short order while Webb and Burr were allowed to carry on, and on, and on is one that I would very much like to discuss with anyone left from those who were in charge of the school at that time. The mind can only boggle at how grevious his transgressions must have been.
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

I'm thinking 75. I went up to senior house and joined the CCF at that point, and I reckon that was the first year the RN section was offered as an option.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Doubtless he got a glowing reference to speed him on his way.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I wish I could find my collection of "The Blue" magazine from that time. Even those who left in dishonour got honourable mentions in dispatches.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:01 am I wish I could find my collection of "The Blue" magazine from that time. Even those who left in dishonour got honourable mentions in dispatches.
I've got a couple of possible Dick Emery type jokes circulating in my head, but p'raps not at this time.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

According to the 1976-1977 Blue Book, the CCF Naval Section was the responsibility of Lt. R.C. Durrant.

If you google R.C. Durrant you find that a teacher by that name, who taught at Christ's Hospital, was found not-guilty in Wales in 2008, see:

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... ex-2810551

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north- ... ex-2811014
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I really don't know what to say.

No doubt CH moved him on with a glowing reference.