Who Knew What?

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Who Knew What?

Post by bakunin »

Were there any mentions in the Blue in Summer 1996 of Dobbie leaving? Or did he quietly disappear?

Why was he demoted in 1993 to Assistant Chaplain, being replaced by A. Mitra? We could even find A. Mitra and ask him...

Are the Blue archives available online?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

I don’t think he left in 1996, I thought he became housemaster in 1993, was demoted in 1996 and went to Shrewsbury in 2003. He was still in close contact with several teachers after his departure so if there were suspicions they weren’t widely known amongst the staff. 2003 was also post-Poulton.
Last edited by DazedandConfused on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I thought he was demoted in 1996 because he took over as housemaster.
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

And I'm sorry to drag this up again but I simply cannot comprehend how the school could decide to bury Webb's previous conviction rather than realise there would inevitably be other victims. There was a clear choice: protect the school, or be part of the solution. This was 2015 for goodness sake, three years ago, not the Middle Ages. I was a Donation Governor at the time; and I was never told a single word. Furious doesn't even begin to describe it.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I am not sure we know the date of Webb's original conviction but the full scale police investigation began in January 2016 so there it may be that one led to the other, which the school would use as justification for keeping quiet.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

Webb has already served 18 months in jail in 2015 after admitting similar offences
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15776501 ... ol_jailed/
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

His conviction in 2015 received no press coverage at the time.
yamaha
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by yamaha »

and apparently was not disclosed to the governors.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Had the school circulated details of Webb's conviction and the police investigation more widely, I believe that more people would have come forward.

The first I knew about any of it was when the first four of the filthy five were charged.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

blueeyedboy wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 pm And I'm sorry to drag this up again but I simply cannot comprehend how the school could decide to bury Webb's previous conviction rather than realise there would inevitably be other victims. There was a clear choice: protect the school, or be part of the solution. This was 2015 for goodness sake, three years ago, not the Middle Ages. I was a Donation Governor at the time; and I was never told a single word. Furious doesn't even begin to describe it.
I wonder whether your concerns would be taken more seriously than other OBs given your status as a governor?
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

Being a Governor doesn't make you one of the Illuminati, believe me; but I think I'm still on the list; and I am going to attend the next Governors meeting if invited to ask this very question (among others). Anyone fellow Governors here for whom enough has become more than enough please PM me if you are going to attend as well. It's one of the only platforms we are likely to get by the look of it. For me, the CHOBA Facebook expurgation is just the last straw; massive, massive hat tip to the Moderators here. From Julian's recent post I know what a commitment this is; but without you there is absolutely nowhere for us to go.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

blueeyedboy wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:14 pm Being a Governor doesn't make you one of the Illuminati, believe me; but I think I'm still on the list; and I am going to attend the next Governors meeting if invited to ask this very question (among others). Anyone fellow Governors here for whom enough has become more than enough please PM me if you are going to attend as well. It's one of the only platforms we are likely to get by the look of it. For me, the CHOBA Facebook expurgation is just the last straw; massive, massive hat tip to the Moderators here. From Julian's recent post I know what a commitment this is; but without you there is absolutely nowhere for us to go.
There goes my illusions of the power of governors :lol: but thank you for taking the stance that you are.
bakunin wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:07 pm Were there any mentions in the Blue in Summer 1996 of Dobbie leaving? Or did he quietly disappear?

Why was he demoted in 1993 to Assistant Chaplain, being replaced by A. Mitra? We could even find A. Mitra and ask him...

Are the Blue archives available online?
I’ve dug out my old stack of The Blue. Dobbie writes about stepping down as senior chaplain to focus on duties as a housemaster a few terms before it happens.

Going back further to 1994 this sentence in the Mid A house notes made me feel sick in light of the revelations during his trial:
“GWD cooked for the house monitors and invited guests, much fun had by all”.

Unfortunately I have a few copies missing so cannot do a complete cross check of swift staff exits vs. lack of farewells in the staff notes section. If my memories were less hazy and I could remember specific departure dates I could do better.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

richardb wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:47 pm I was a pupil at the school when Burr was moved on. Not a word was said to parents about him interfering with the pupils. The same happened with Webb. Not only was he moved on, but parents were told anything but the truth.
Further to Richard’s quote I did share with the moderators a copy of the letter sent to the Parents of those in Webb’s house when he left, including mine, which talks of his exemplary 18 years of service, and his need to leave the school on medical advice from stress brought on by the school reorganisation in preparation for the merger, including the moving of his boarding house. No mention of anything untoward.

My mother had forgotten all about it, the letter surfaced in another group I am part of, but I have chosen not to reproduce it in deference to the victims and the source.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The letter Craig refers to is a remarkable document. The school told parents a complete pack of lies. There is no other way to put it.

This isn't going to get better for the school.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Just been back to the ‘Curious’ thread - the letter referred to in the ITV report by one of the victims is the same letter mentioned by Richard and me above.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989