Dobbie's departure

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

richardb
Forum Moderator

Dobbie's departure

Post by richardb »

Can anyone tell me when Dobbie left and what, if anything, was said about it?

Was he chanted off to Pink Floyd?
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Re: Dobbie's departure

Post by LHA »

Given everything Dobbie was able to do at CH, his friendship group, and the fact he was never to my recollection expected to any work and got to leave in very comfortable surroundings - it seems odd to me that he would have wanted to leave CH at all for a post at a similar level in another school at the other end of the country.

One suspects there is something more to his departure that normal career development.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Whatever he was developing, it probably wasn't his career.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

His departure was after my time, however he did return to CH a year after leaving to conduct the wedding ceremony of two Old Blues so it doesn’t sound like there was any animosity between him and the school. At least one CH teacher was a character witness for him at his trial, which again implies he left on good terms.

Unbelievable that he could have offended for so many years at CH and then suddenly stopped...
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:21 pm Unbelievable that he could have offended for so many years at CH and then suddenly stopped...
You hit the nail on the head. He almost certainly didn't but that storm hadn't broken yet.

One of the most curious things about paedophiles is that they never seen to slow down. About 15 years ago I represented a paedophile in his 70s. He was bailed to live at a hostel in a different area where he promptly abused one of the children of the couple who ran the hostel.

There is potential fir another scandal at Shrewsbury.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Interesting wording from the then head of Shrewsbury School when announcing that Dobbie had “decided to retire”...I think not!

Paragraph 4

https://www.shrewsbury.org.uk/sites/def ... ep2016.pdf
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Obviously a sudden decision!!!
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

richardb wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:18 pm
DazedandConfused wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:21 pm Unbelievable that he could have offended for so many years at CH and then suddenly stopped...

There is potential fir another scandal at Shrewsbury.
Yet the head of Shrewsbury was a character witness for Dobbie I believe? A bold move, possibly a foolish one.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

A man in denial?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

I hope it doesn’t come back to bite him. I also sincerely hope that Dobbie did stop, although it seems doubtful. I can’t help but think of the young male who was with Dobbie when he tried to crash the 20 year reunion.
Bob
2nd Former

Post by Bob »

marty wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:48 pm Interesting wording from the then head of Shrewsbury School when announcing that Dobbie had “decided to retire”...I think not!

Paragraph 4

https://www.shrewsbury.org.uk/sites/def ... ep2016.pdf
And yet in the press the school statement read, “The school is co-operating fully with the relevant authorities and the individual has been suspended from duties pending the outcome of any investigation. At present, there is no indication that the investigation involves any activity during the individual's employment at Shrewsbury School”.
PeB 89, MaA 92-96
Scazza
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Scazza »

Anything less than full disclosure is conspiracy. If Shrewsbury parents were aware of Dobbies offending it would at least let them quietly check their kids were OK. Disgraceful lies.

On Dobbie, this was posted before in a mistitled thread that got deleted - he visited Shrewsbury's sister school in Thailand as guest of honour:

https://view.joomag.com/shrewsbury-inte ... 1433208969
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

There is a CH connection with the Shrewsbury International School as Ken Grimshaw taught there for some years.
blueeyedboy
3rd Former

Post by blueeyedboy »

From the bottom of my heart I hope that all those convicted of sexual crimes against children in their care at CH saw the light on leaving and reformed their lives completely. The very first subsequent conviction that shows that they didn't would heap such utter shame on the school's management for doing nothing other than shift the problem on to another school and other innocent children would mean that my struggling and residual fond feelings for the place would die, utterly. I am praying this doesn't happen.
Elvie
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Elvie »

I agree, and i think that's part of the assurance needed from the school; -have the police been notified of all teachers who were moved on from the school in response to abuse allegations?