Roger Martin

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Roger Martin

Post by J.R. »

Am I not wrong in thinking that the above named makes his first Crown Court appearance at Hove tomorrow ?

Just thought I'd start a new thread in this ongoing saga.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: Roger Martin

Post by richardb »

It's not until next Wednesday, 15 August.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Just a reminder to all that “innocent until proven guilty” and that just because there was clearly a large cohort of abusing teachers, does not mean at all that all who are accused are guilty - so no speculation please, factual content only.
I’m not saying it’s the case here, but there is a risk too, given the talk of compensation/civil cases against the school, that a small number of fictional stories appear from individuals with a financial motivation.....hopefully not, but need to be aware of, and hence wait for convictions and verdicts.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Roger Martin is at the Hove Trial Centre tomorrow at not before 12 noon.

He appears before HHJ Jeremy Gold, no doubt because HHJ Christine Henson is not sitting.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Why is it a ‘trial centre’ rather than a court? Is there a difference?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I find the change of Judge in an on-going connected case somewhat strange, but as Richard said, probably due to prior engagements, jolly hols etc.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm Why is it a ‘trial centre’ rather than a court? Is there a difference?
Over to Richard yet again.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

ps. Do we know if anyone is attending court, apart from possibly a CH School representative ?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Great Plum wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:52 pm Why is it a ‘trial centre’ rather than a court? Is there a difference?
Sorry Plum but it's the same thing.

The list refers to it as the Hove Trial Centre. It's actually the Lewes Crown Court sitting at the Hove Trial Centre.

Lewes Crown Court is split between 3 sites - Lewes, Brighton and Hove.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

J.R. wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:00 pm ps. Do we know if anyone is attending court, apart from possibly a CH School representative ?
All they will do tomorrow is fix a trial for trial.

You will be able to read about it in the papers.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by robert totterdell »

Karim just got ten years but Mr. Taylor is right in saying 'not guilty until proven so'. That is our legal system. I just hope that he doesn't drag the people he abused, or is accused of abusing, through a trial.

Haven't all of the victims gone through enough already? I have. There is more to come.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I am not commenting on Roger Martin but I agree with you Rob that there are more to come. Lots more.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

robert totterdell wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm Karim just got ten years but Mr. Taylor is right in saying 'not guilty until proven so'. That is our legal system. I just hope that he doesn't drag the people he abused, or is accused of abusing, through a trial.

Haven't all of the victims gone through enough already? I have. There is more to come.
Sorry to say Robert, but as I have said on here before, the local press described Martin at his appearance at Crawley Magistrate's Court as loud and arrogant. Hardly likely he'll go for a guilty plea.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

J.R. wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am
robert totterdell wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm Karim just got ten years but Mr. Taylor is right in saying 'not guilty until proven so'. That is our legal system. I just hope that he doesn't drag the people he abused, or is accused of abusing, through a trial.

Sorry to say Robert, but as I have said on here before, the local press described Martin at his appearance at Crawley Magistrate's Court as loud and arrogant. Hardly likely he'll go for a guilty plea.
The possibility that Roger Martin is innocent should not be forgotten at this stage.

As with the others let's see the evidence before commenting or expressing too many views.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:48 am
J.R. wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:09 am
robert totterdell wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 pm Karim just got ten years but Mr. Taylor is right in saying 'not guilty until proven so'. That is our legal system. I just hope that he doesn't drag the people he abused, or is accu
sed of abusing, through a trial.

The possibility that Roger Martin is innocent should not be forgotten at this stage.

As with the others let's see the evidence before commenting or expressing too many views.
My abject apologies.

I almost forgot. Innocent UNTIL proven guilty.