Roger Martin

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Roger Martin

Post by J.R. »

Loads and loads of time then to acquire a dodgy passport and flee to South America !! :o
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

J.R. wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm Loads and loads of time then to acquire a dodgy passport and flee to South America !! :o
I thought the current bolthole is Northern Cyprus.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:46 pm Roger Martin is at the Hove Trial Centre tomorrow at not before 12 noon.

He appears before HHJ Jeremy Gold, no doubt because HHJ Christine Henson is not sitting.
HHJ Jeremy Gold.

Just looked him up. Quite an impressive legal bio. I won't compare his juidicial past to HHJ Christine Henson, who I have also checked out.
Observer
3rd Former

Post by Observer »

My assessment is that there were at least 50 from World War 2 on
Richard
If your assessment of the possible total number of abuse victims is anywhere near correct (and I believe you are probably privy to information that supports this figure) then we have a scandal that completely dwarfs the Ampleforth/Downside report.

Both reputationally and financially (compensation payments and loss of endowments) this could quite simply be the end of Christ’s Hospital.

Tell me I am wrong.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

For the simple reason that I have a background in the law, I have a fuller picture than some.

The school's statements on the matter might give the impression that the abuse was limited to the perpetrators and victims in the criminal proceedings. It was not.

A little bit of honesty really is needed.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

richardb wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:58 pm
Great Plum wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm Isn’t 6 months or so fairly average for this?
You are pretty much spot on Plum.

Since Operation Yewtree the through put of sex offences in the Crown Court is between 60 and 70% of the workload.

Cases with young witnesses are supposed to be tried within 8 weeks. Where the accused in in custody the case is supposed to be tried within 6 months of first remand.

That leaves cases where the Defendant is on bail where availability of court rooms may be limited. Sex offences also require a "ticketed judge", ie a judge who has been specially trained.

So seven months is by no means uncommon and you shouldn't read anything into it.
Given the age of the Defendant a lot could potentially happen in 6 or 7 months. That is of course true of anybody but the older a defendant is and all that.....
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Observer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 pm
My assessment is that there were at least 50 from World War 2 on
Richard
If your assessment of the possible total number of abuse victims is anywhere near correct (and I believe you are probably privy to information that supports this figure) then we have a scandal that completely dwarfs the Ampleforth/Downside report.

Both reputationally and financially (compensation payments and loss of endowments) this could quite simply be the end of Christ’s Hospital.

Tell me I am wrong.

I don't think for one minute that all this will see the end of CH.

HOWEVER......

There will have to be a lot of hard work in the future, with far more input from OB's than there is at present.

(I'm not going to repeat my "Here's your Bible. You've heard the charge, now go away and do your own thing" speech)

I was just thinking whilst prepping food for dinner. I'd just love to be a fly on the wall at the next meeting between senior CH staff, the HM included, with the CHOBA staff.

I bet certain OB's ears would start to burn extremely violently. :oops:
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I agree with JR that it will not be the end of the school. I think he is right that they need to embrace OBs more, which is why the school needs to be much more open and honest, in my view.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Great Plum wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm Isn’t 6 months or so fairly average for this?

Since Operation Yewtree the through put of sex offences in the Crown Court is between 60 and 70% of the workload.

Cases with young witnesses are supposed to be tried within 8 weeks. Where the accused in in custody the case is supposed to be tried within 6 months of first remand.

That leaves cases where the Defendant is on bail where availability of court rooms may be limited. Sex offences also require a "ticketed judge", ie a judge who has been specially trained.

So seven months is by no means uncommon and you shouldn't read anything into it.
I have just reflected on this and realised that at the beginning of this week I fixed a three day case for next April, ie 8 months away.

It is NOT a sex case and the Defendant is on bail, so no priority.

These sorts of delays are happening all too often.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

richardb wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm

I have just reflected on this and realised that at the beginning of this week I fixed a three day case for next April, ie 8 months away.

It is NOT a sex case and the Defendant is on bail, so no priority.

These sorts of delays are happening all too often.

Won't be long before now then, a new company will emerge.....

"Dodgy Passports R US", then !
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Howard had Burr as a junior housemaster, was possibly taught by Webb, played cricket with Karim and worked with Husband and Dobbie. Roger Martin was also a master when Howard was a pupil.
Did Howard as a pupil know of Webb's nickname (as chanted on occasion by the entire school in the dining hall)?

Does Howard recall the 'sudden departure' of his colleagues Webb and Karim?

Either this is all part of the rich tapestry of CH life - sudden departures, court cases, occasional convictions, and many wounded victims - along with tangents, grollie rods, slippers, fresh air, and hijinks in the lav-ends, or you are running interference - in my view at least.

Oh - look - the A-level results are out.
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

TMF wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:50 pm
Howard had Burr as a junior housemaster, was possibly taught by Webb, played cricket with Karim and worked with Husband and Dobbie. Roger Martin was also a master when Howard was a pupil.
Did Howard as a pupil know of Webb's nickname (as chanted on occasion by the entire school in the dining hall)?

Does Howard recall the 'sudden departure' of his colleagues Webb and Karim?

Either this is all part of the rich tapestry of CH life - sudden departures, court cases, occasional convictions, and many wounded victims - along with tangents, grollie rods, slippers, fresh air, and hijinks in the lav-ends, or you are running interference - in my view at least.

Oh - look - the A-level results are out.
Fact : I was a pupil between 66-73. I was not at the school when the chant was made
Fact : I was never a colleague of Peter Webb.
Fact : I was a colleague of Ajaz Karim. I do recall his sudden departure.
Fact : I did not make reference to current A Level results lightly.
Fact : I have no desire to be seen as interfering.

Thank you for your view. I trust you are now better informed.
bakunin
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by bakunin »

richardb wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:05 pm
J.R. wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:03 pm Loads and loads of time then to acquire a dodgy passport and flee to South America !! :o
I thought the current bolthole is Northern Cyprus.
Pattaya in Thailand, coincidentally where Poulton's International School of Regents is located, is another wretched hive of scum and villainy where international criminals often take refuge...
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/worl ... ttaya.html
TMF
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by TMF »

Fact : I was a pupil between 66-73. I was not at the school when the chant was made
Howard - thank you for your response and the 'facts'.

Did you know Webb's nickname?

What was said to staff regarding the sudden departures of colleagues such as Husband and Karim?

(It would be interesting to know if nothing was said, i.e. 'Just one of those things' or whether an 'explanation' was provided)

Any other sudden departure syndrome outbreaks during your tenure? (cf. Durrant, Buck, 'slug', etc.)
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

TMF wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm
Howard - thank you for your response and the 'facts'.

Did you know Webb's nickname?

What was said to staff regarding the sudden departures of colleagues such as Husband and Karim?

(It would be interesting to know if nothing was said, i.e. 'Just one of those things' or whether an 'explanation' was provided)

Any other sudden departure syndrome outbreaks during your tenure? (cf. Durrant, Buck, 'slug', etc.)
I was never aware of Webb's nickname.

My recollection is that we were told that they had left.

There were others.