Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Re: Politics

Post by rockfreak »

At what point will they be deselected? If we jump off the cliff into third world status on March 29 the lies of the Leave brigade will be exposed for what they are. Right on cue, tonight's TV news tells us that Nissan are changing their minds on further investment in the Sunderland plant. The Maybot had previously told them in 2016 that the UK taxpayer would make good any extra tariffs they would have to pay to access the EU market. The citizens of Geordieland shouted Hoorah! and believed her. Now these characters from the pages of Viz, all these Sid the Sexists and Johnny Fartpantses and Fat Slags, are about to find out that things ain't quite what they seem. Then perhaps the cowardice of Northern Labour MPs will be revealed and maybe punished by their own constituents.
Ho ho ho! Is there something in the air up there in the northeast that pickles people's brains? What a pity that Richard B (resident in Tyne and Wear) is not posting any more. You snotty, aggravating, pompous, insulting boarding school prigs drove him off the site in exasperation. And I don't blame him. Because perhaps he could have given us an insight into why Geordieland (where my late father came from) has decided to take leave of its senses and blame the EU for a state of affairs which has actually been caused for the last forty years by Margaret Hilda Thatcher and all who have followed her.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: You snotty, aggravating, pompous, insulting boarding school prigs ...

Exactly who are these folk to whom you are referring? Your posts are undoubtedly among the the most insulting of anyone's; you went to boarding school (obviously); some of your posts are clearly aggravating (or I wouldn't have bothered to reply - I rarely do these days) and your smug, sanctimonious, self-righteousness certainly qualifies as pomposity. Moreover, your previous post on this thread about 'the Jewish conspiracy, is more off-putting than pretty much anything else I have seen on this forum anywhere though clearly well-aligned with that limb or wing of the loony left that you clearly support.

It would be nice if you would just stop being so bl00dy rude.
dsmg
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by dsmg »

Don't sugarcoat it Lori, tell him straight :rolleyes:
Play up Pompey!
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:38 pm You snotty, aggravating, pompous, insulting boarding school prigs drove him off the site in exasperation.
If I’m to be labelled as insulting, I might as well enjoy myself...

Your style on this site is bewildering; both leveraging and eschewing your scholastic past to the point that’s frankly bi-polar. Your goading style fails with ‘Banker Brown’ but marks you out as lacking in a sense of jocularity, but abundant in pettiness. You enjoy hyperbole and exaggeration, and your self-aggrandising ‘Freaky does it again’ posts smack of solipsism (and on reading your letters, unwarranted) conceit.

Sometimes takes a while to find equilibrium with your past, but you are taking an awfully long time.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Aah - reading back through this forum I've just realised that David Renshaw's 'Banker Brown' is this forum's very own David Brown and not our former PM and chancellor at all. There was I thinking that all criticism was levelled at the man who shepherded us into economic meltdown in 2008 after years of failing to regulate the banks and other financial institutions, mortgaging us up to the hilt with PFI and wiping out most people's pensions. Who would have thought it?
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Unless I've got this wrong I do seem to remember that Richard B left this site shortly after showing some exasperation with the flak he was getting, so perhaps I'm not the only one dishing it out on this site.
Boarding schools and their supporters? As Alan Bennett observed in his BBC lecture: "The system is unfair and if this hasn't dawned on these people (the pupils) by the time they leave then their education has been wasted."
Politics? My views have always been in favour of Scandinavian social democracy rather than Thatcherite neoliberalism, Nigel Lawson being the original deregulator of the banks (which was also embraced by Gordon Brown for whom I hold no candle). CH clearly didn't give some of you people a grounding in the nuances of 20th century politics and economics - Keynesianism vs Friedmanism, for instance.
Anti-semitism? I've got nothing against Jews in this country (after all many of them support my favourite football team - ("Nice one Heung Min, Nice one Son!") - and indeed when the TV news showed footage of a Justice for Palestine rally in Trafalgar Square a few years ago the cameras lingered for a while on a quartet of Orthodox Jews in their frock coats who'd come up from Stamford Hill or wherever to show support. But there is some uncomfortable explaining to do when after half a century the Israeli settlers are still expanding unopposed across the West Bank while the Palestinian Arabs continue to get screwed. At the risk of sounding antisemitic, the Jewish lobby is real and powerful in many countries (particularly the US) whereas the Palestinians are struggling for support. At present it seems to come just from Hamas and the followers of Celtic FC. Even the Arab Gulf states have deserted them. This is because in the 1970s the Americans made the Saudis and others an offer they couldn't refuse. Book to read: "Confessions of an Economics Hitman" by John Perkins.
So I refute many of your allegations, am still against boarding schools (on social, political, educational and psychological grounds) and am quite happy to continue supporting my points with evidence and argument rather than in wild spluttering and hyperventilating and shouting "lefty" at anyone who contests the propaganda that you have mindlessly imbibed from reading the Daily Mail for the last God knows how many years.
Last edited by rockfreak on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:48 pm Unless I've got this wrong I do seem to remember that Richard B left this site shortly after showing some exasperation with the flak he was getting, so perhaps I'm not the only one dishing it out on this site.
Boarding schools and their supporters? As Alan Bennett observed in his BBC lecture: "The system is unfair and if this hasn't dawned on these people (the pupils) by the time they leave then their education has been wasted."
Politics? My views have always been in favour of Scandinavian social democracy rather than Thatcherite neoliberalism (which was also embraced by Gordon Brown for whom I hold no candle). CH clearly didn't give some of you people a grounding in the nuances of 20th century politics and economics - Keynesianism vs Friedmanism, for instance.
You are spectacularly opaque. Simply because I and others are failing to decry boarding schools on this forum we possess wasted educations?

Yours was squandered for sure.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Totally wasted. No other country seems to need them. What's special about them?
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:17 pm Totally wasted. No other country seems to need them. What's special about them?
You tell me - you’re the one trying to put words in our collective mouth by implying everybody on this site save you is in support of the public school system.

Another flaw of yours, twisting a topic to a favourite agenda of yours whilst creating false prejudices in others. You don’t do it in your letters to the papers so why treat us as idiots on this forum by doing it here?

You come across as a little man with a massive chip on his shoulder. No wonder us elitist, favoured, right-wing reactionaries are finding you so, well, tiresome. Do pop off, there’s a good fellow.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:17 pm Totally wasted. No other country seems to need them. What's special about them?
Actually, quite common in the US. Unlike the UK they make sure to stay out of the limelight as far as possible.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:48 pm At the risk of sounding antisemitic, the Jewish lobby is real and powerful in many countries (particularly the US) whereas the Palestinians are struggling for support.

Yes - you do indeed sound Anti-Semitic but that would seem to align with your general world view and well aligned with today's Labour Party - so not that of the Greats like Attlee et al! I simply do not agree that there is a Jewish lobby in this country - it is a common refrain of the hard left and hard right but a significant number of successful Brits who happen to follow Judaism does not a lobby make! Similarly, successful Muslims do not make an Islamic lobby; they are just folk who have done well who happen to follow a different set of teachings.

So I refute many of your allegations, am still against boarding schools (on social, political, educational and psychological grounds) and am quite happy to continue supporting my points with evidence and argument rather than in wild spluttering and hyperventilating and shouting "lefty" at anyone who contests the propaganda that you have mindlessly imbibed from reading the Daily Mail for the last God knows how many years.
You just can't help it can you? You just have to end up with a series of personal insults - why is this? Why do you have this enormous chip on your shoulder? You were clearly born at the peak of the baby boom (around 1948 I would estimate), received the enormous benefits of a Christ's Hospital education, enjoyed life-long benefits of NHS healthcare, much of it during the halcyon, early days of the organisation before targets and PFIs, had access to free tertiary education, jobs for life and generous final salary pension schemes. I have no idea whether you took full advantage of these opportunities but I do wonder why you are always so aggressively angry. Perhaps you didn't and now wish you had?
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:17 pmTotally wasted. No other country seems to need them. What's special about them?
Need is always a loaded word to use. While it's true that boarding schools don't specifically feature on Maslov's hierarchy, they exist in most countries and, in the case of people I know in Aus, are particularly useful for families who live in the middle of nowhere where day schooling is literally impossible.

To get back slightly on point;
sejintenej wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 pmFar more simple - any MP who tries to stop Brexit will be prevented from being re-elected.
Yeah, I just don't see that being the case. I mean, who is going to prevent them? Neither party will deselect anyone occupying a swing seat, especially if the sitting MP is popular with locals. Party grandees will stay exactly where they are, regardless of their views on Brexit, you just need to look at Ken Clarke to see that. IMO, the only politicians who will be replaced are those who face a real chance of losing their seats because they've become toxic to their electorate. For many this depends almost entirely on the success of Brexit. An excellent example here is Boris Johnson who has turned one of the safer blue seats in the country into a potential marginal, all while he was at his peak in terms of public approval. His (and a few others) political future is unbreakably linked to brexit. Anything less than a "unicorns for all" success and he's gone.
As for the electorate, they'll either vote the way they always have or they won't vote at all, because that's what usually happens. The swing voter is a bit of a myth in my experience. Most major swings aren't from blue to red switches, they're from increased voter turnout and boundaries being redrawn.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I agree with everything in your last post Tim.

My sons went to boarding school because my husband worked for the British Council and we could be moved at short notice somewhere where there was no English medium education.

As to deselection of MPs, the constituency parties surely make the decisions? As you say, how many voters change parties? Demographics of the constituency can change, which could lead to a different party being returned.

I live in Plaid Cymru territory, I think it will stay the same for a long time.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Katharine wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:47 pm I live in Plaid Cymru territory, I think it will stay the same for a long time.
Perhaps this is the price you must pay for living in one of the most beautiful places in the British Isles?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:48 pm
Boarding schools and their supporters? As Alan Bennett observed in his BBC lecture: "The system is unfair and if this hasn't dawned on these people (the pupils) by the time they leave then their education has been wasted."wouldn't even dirty my shoes o

So I refute many of your allegations, am still against boarding schools (on social, political, educational and psychological grounds) and am quite happy to continue shouting "lefty" at anyone who contests the propaganda that you have mindlessly imbibed
You seem to forget that it is life which is unfair. Period, End of argument OK so that has not dawned upon you yet but perhaps when you are of greater years yopu will realise. I am minded of the Trades Union leader who was such a pain in the neck in the Lobndon Docks and who became a staunch conservative when hr grew up and changed jobs.

As for your previous clain that after Brexit then all the lies of the probrexiteers will be exposed, there have been enough lies and misinformation on the radio by antiBrexit MPs to haunt them for the rest of their existance here and in hell.

As for (I think it was) Loringa's arrivel that I am not Gordon Rubbish Brown, I am going to point out to him why I wouldn't even dirty my shoes on Gordon
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!