Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by LHA »

thank you so much for your post. definitely worth calling Sussex Police about this if you feel about to do so. Or the NSPCC would assist you in making a report if you preferred. What you say here may be evidence relevant to other enquires which may or may not be ongoing.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by robert totterdell »

Hi Chaps

He was Richard Edward McCall. Ernie was his adopted name, by him. He was Second Housemaster in Mid A during my time (1972 - 1976).

A bit odd and he drank a lot, AN AWFUL LOT.

There were some issues with him but he was, to be frank, rather useless both as a teacher in my time and within the house. I suspect he left simply as he wasn't that good but then who knows.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Golfer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm
scrub wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 am
LHA wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pmI don't recall Housemasters ever moving house before (not sure if he had a gap). I wonder if there was a specific reason for that?
Staff moved around a fair bit during my time, as I remember it anyway, not any specific reason as far as I can recall. The Endacott's, Holdsworth's, Flemming's, for example, all were in multiple houses while I was there. Also a bunch of teachers who were house masters/tutors then moved out but still taught and vice versa. There was a constant churn. Not monthly, but every year or so people would move about. It just seemed like normal practice to me.
Not really true about the Flemmings. They stayed in ColA for years but when the Grecians' Houses were created they moved to Grecians West. I can't believe how long they were house parents. Amazing commitment. I have to mention the Robinsons in LHB in this respect. Elspeth Robinson deserves a medal for her long term devotion - she has just retired.
There was an element of "promotion"/recognition of families / time served in moves to the larger attached houses e.g. the Avenells from ColB to LHB and the Endacotts from ColA to PeA and the Buckmans from BaA to LHA.
Was Howard Holdsworth housemaster of any house apart from Peele A. I don't think so.
Holdsworth was at Ma B before Pe A, i believe
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

I'm just keen to know if he's alive or not. Someone must know!
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Poor_Sunyol wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:54 pm I suppose you had to move it as with out proof it is just hearsay and therefore slander.
Exactly...
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Pe.A wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm
Golfer wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm
scrub wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 am
Staff moved around a fair bit during my time, as I remember it anyway, not any specific reason as far as I can recall. The Endacott's, Holdsworth's, Flemming's, for example, all were in multiple houses while I was there. Also a bunch of teachers who were house masters/tutors then moved out but still taught and vice versa. There was a constant churn. Not monthly, but every year or so people would move about. It just seemed like normal practice to me.
Not really true about the Flemmings. They stayed in ColA for years but when the Grecians' Houses were created they moved to Grecians West. I can't believe how long they were house parents. Amazing commitment. I have to mention the Robinsons in LHB in this respect. Elspeth Robinson deserves a medal for her long term devotion - she has just retired.
There was an element of "promotion"/recognition of families / time served in moves to the larger attached houses e.g. the Avenells from ColB to LHB and the Endacotts from ColA to PeA and the Buckmans from BaA to LHA.
Was Howard Holdsworth housemaster of any house apart from Peele A. I don't think so.
Holdsworth was at Ma B before Pe A, i believe
Correct.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Poor_Sunyol wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:54 pm I suppose you had to move it as with out proof it is just hearsay and therefore slander. He was my House Master in Maine A but what I can confirm is that he did like to be called Ernie. That is what he would make me call him when I was in his flat, alone and being given alcohol.
Dishing out booze to pupils alone in the flat or getting boys to act as waiters in cycling shorts. How on earth was all this inappropriate behaviour allowed to happen?
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

do we know if he was a witness in the second Dobbie trial?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

LHA wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:50 am do we know if he was a witness in the second Dobbie trial?
McCall? I’m not sure whether he’s still alive, although I’ve not seen a CH obituary for him.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

DazedandConfused wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:38 am
LHA wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 7:50 am do we know if he was a witness in the second Dobbie trial?
McCall? I’m not sure whether he’s still alive, although I’ve not seen a CH obituary for him.
I created this thread in order that anyone with information who cared to do so could indicate if he was alive or not, or alternatively if he reads it he might want to say hello.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

LHA wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:52 am or alternatively if he reads it he might want to say hello.
:D
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I don't believe he gave evidence.

I also can't find any record of his death in the available records which go up to 2013.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:10 am I don't believe he gave evidence.

I also can't find any record of his death in the available records which go up to 2013.
I’ve just been doing the same search and reached the same conclusion. Although of course if he did go to Africa as rumoured he may not have returned.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

I can imagine there are fair pickings in some parts of Africa.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

richardb wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:40 am I can imagine there are fair pickings in some parts of Africa.
He definitely went to Kenya as far as I understand. Just keen to know if he's still there or he came back?