Poulton, Cairncross, Sillett

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

scrub
Deputy Grecian

Re: Poulton, Cairncross, Sillett

Post by scrub »

Bob wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:38 pmI remember she had the demeanor of a corrupt prison officer from tv show Prisoner Cell Block H, and now we know just as much empathy too.
:lol: and I think I know exactly which one you mean!
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Bob wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:56 am
Pupil199095 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:58 am I was at Ch 1990-95. It was common knowledge that husband and dobbie did what they did. Does anybody know if these three have been investigated? I vividly recall being told not to tell anybody outside the school that husband had left with pupil.
They really should be looked into, clearly breached duty of care to protect the "good name of Christ's Hospital", their hypocrisy was terrible; pupils were expelled with no second chances for being caught in a sexual position with their partners, all the time they were hiding the criminal sexual proclivities of teachers, (and some that weren't illegal at the time) and offering resignations for those that couldn't be hushed up, which would allow them to keep teaching elsewhere.
Poulton seemed obsessed with the CH name and Cairncross appeared to be incredibly cold, I always thought that pupils happiness came a long way after appearance and academic and sporting results, but I suppose that's most schools remit.
I don't think Husband left with a pupil, there was another teacher (music or something to do with the band) who left with a pupil, (yes another one), but she was 16 and wanted to be with him so no charges were laid.
That is my understanding as well. The term Bandmaster is a 'word' that springs to mind, but I may be wrong. Definitely part of the music education department though.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

richardb wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:44 pm
DazedandConfused wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:12 am The trouble is that no enquiry could force people to attend or witnesses to testify. There would be no incentive for those involved to be truthful and it’s hard to see how effective it could be.

I don’t know what the answer is, but I get angry every time I think of Poulton’s smug face at the trials last year, still wearing a CH tie.
Oh yes it can. A statutory inquiry can require the attendance of witnesses and obtain witness summonses to compel them to attend.

Unfortunately, there is no criminal offence that they can be charged with.
Can such a compelled witness do a “no comment” marathon? Like pleading the Fifth across the pond? Or are they required to answer properly, under penalty of something?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: Poulton, cairncross, sillet

Post by richardb »

It is contempt of court not to answer, although they can refuse to answer questions which might amount to self incriminating of a criminal offence.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Having thought about the above, my own view is that the best course of action would be for CH to be included in the so-called "phase 2" of IICSA's investigation into residential schools. I wrote to IICSA (twice) last year and their response to me is below. I would encourage anyone who feels the same to contact IICSA directly, requesting that CH be included in phase 2. The email address is contact@iicsa.org.uk

Thank you for contacting the Inquiry via email on the 13 August and the 23rd of November. I am extremely sorry for the delay in responding to you.
The Inquiry has recently published an update note on the residential schools investigation. Phase one of this investigation will focus on a selection of specific special and music schools, as well as producing a narrative on eight closed residential schools.
The update note also provides further information on phase two of the investigation. Whilst the Inquiry has not yet confirmed which specific schools will be examined in phase two, it will bear in mind the helpful information you have provided in relation to Christ's Hospital School. Further information on phase two will be published on the Inquiry's website in due course. Our website can be accessed here.
You are welcome to share your own observations of failings to protect children from sexual abuse during your time at Christ's Hospital by sending these to us in writing and we will make sure they are sent directly to the appropriate investigation team.
Thanks again for contacting the Inquiry.
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I guess the inclusion or not in phase 2 will depend upon the funding the inquiry has, how many institutions it can therefore effectively concentrate on and how they "rank" (sorry horrible word to use as it makes it appear i believe anything is acceptable, I don't just cant think of a better word) compared with each other - I am guessing places like Knowl Hill Rochdale (Cyril Smith case) will be near the top of the list it just depends what other info the inquiry team have to hand to decide upon "targets" and whether they are looking for links between institutions and going down the route of identifying/investigating any linked cases in depth or whether they would prefer a broad enquiry looking at as many cases/institutions as possible to get an overview of the state of the nation as it were during that time period
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

When is Phase 2 due to start ? If after the awaited sentencing of Dobbie, and the start and/or completion of the Martin trial, I would guess that they have a very good place to start, funds permitting, of course !
WiltshireChap
2nd Former

Post by WiltshireChap »

Folks, I am new on the forum but have read some threads with interest having been at CH from 77-82 and specifically in Barnes B where Peter Webb was one of my house tutors and Roger Martin was at the time the Housemaster of Barnes A across the hall. I note on the forum many references to Elizabeth Cairncross. In the last few weeks she was appointed as Chair of Governors at Salisbury Cathedral School. I have not managed to establish why her name pops up repeatedly on the forum despite trawling through a lot of threads. Can anybody point me to a post which explains the reasons for this?
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

WiltshireChap wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:30 pm Folks, I am new on the forum but have read some threads with interest having been at CH from 77-82 and specifically in Barnes B where Peter Webb was one of my house tutors and Roger Martin was at the time the Housemaster of Barnes A across the hall. I note on the forum many references to Elizabeth Cairncross. In the last few weeks she was appointed as Chair of Governors at Salisbury Cathedral School. I have not managed to establish why her name pops up repeatedly on the forum despite trawling through a lot of threads. Can anybody point me to a post which explains the reasons for this?
She was deputy head for much of the time when the ‘second wave’ of abuse occurred. Her appointment to the Chair of Governors of Salisbury Cathedral School suggests that they don’t really care about pastoral care or they have dire due diligence. Good news for parents on both counts.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

If you utilise the search facility and type in her name, you will find a great deal of references to her failing.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Welcome aboard Wiltshire Chap. I note you are a JP, so understand your interest.

I suggest you take Richardb's advice and use this sites comprehensive search facility. There is plenty of info on 'Cairncross and Co'.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Cairncross was deputy head and designated child protection officer, which was laughable.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

Interestingly her bio omits CH.

https://www.salisburycathedralschool.co ... z3IVReV.97

Not proud?
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Avon wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:57 pm Interestingly her bio omits CH.

https://www.salisburycathedralschool.co ... z3IVReV.97

Not proud?
What it omitted is less likely to be Googled