Poulton, Cairncross, Sillett

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Poulton, Cairncross, Sillett

Post by Otter »

I have additionally just found Cairncross listed as a governor at Sir Robert Geffery's School, a Church of England primary school in Cornwall.

http://www.sir-robert-gefferys.cornwall ... ernors.asp

It still lists her as Head at Wells so I don't know how recent the information on the website is.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Foureyes wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:01 pm JR says: "So why don't we agree. A total lack of communication or response is an admition of guilt ."

Well, I for one do NOT agree with that statement. That does not mean that I support Ms Cairncross. In fact, to the best of my knowledge I have never met her and I certainly have not communicated with her in any way. Nor do I know in any detail what she is alleged to have done or not done. What I do not agree with is the statement that her failure to correspond with an unofficial forum is, ipso facto, an admission of guilt. As far as I know, there is no legal requirement to reply to an email, nor does an alumni forum constitute a court of law.

Although these events took place well after the time I was at C.H. I appreciate that there are many very emotional issues involved and that some former pupils are scarred for life and seeking retribution. Nevertheless, I suggest that there is a need to temper one's language and to allow the police and other inquiries to proceed. Then, if they consider that someone should be charged with an offence of either commission or omission, then so be it, charges will be laid and the case be heard in court. In summary, I do not believe that this forum is the place for deciding guilt.

David :shock:
Very fair comments.

However, we can rely on victim statements because the jury believed them.

Inaction can be difficult to prove, particularly when everyone passes the buck.

Sometimes when there is so much confusion and ambiguity about roles and responsibilities, it helps to put faces to names.

Let's leave the lady on the left out of this.

https://images.app.goo.gl/fcYhfWvGnnazuQHGA
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

Governor Qualifications and Disqualifications
https://www.governor.support/recruiting ... fications/

Section 13 - prohibitions from working with children
Section 14 - prohibitions with criminal convictions

None of the 1980/90s SMT would be barred from being a governor on the grounds given on the website as they did not commit or have been convicted of an offence under the current law.

Governance Recruitment
https://www.nga.org.uk/Governance-Recru ... ustee.aspx

"Governors and trustees must be prepared to adopt the Nolan principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership."

Suitability for the reasons above may be a different question given the court reported evidence of their handling of abuse at CH under their tenure, but for an appointing body that is arguably subjective.
Otter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 am I have additionally just found Cairncross listed as a governor at Sir Robert Geffery's School, a Church of England primary school in Cornwall.

It still lists her as Head at Wells so I don't know how recent the information on the website is.
The school website is current although that particular governor profile is not up to date re. the Wells info.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Integrity is a very important attribute for any school governor.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

AMP wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:03 pm
Very fair comments.

Sometimes when there is so much confusion and ambiguity about roles and responsibilities, it helps to put faces to names.

Goodness me. The lady on the right still has the ability to terrify me just from a photo all these years later.
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

The lady on the right looks very godly
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

DazedandConfused wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:42 pm
AMP wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:03 pm
Very fair comments.

Goodness me. The lady on the right still has the ability to terrify me just from a photo all these years later.
I had the same reaction of repulsion as you.
Leeautemps
2nd Former

Post by Leeautemps »

Accountability, integrity, honesty.....didn't the Judge make comments about the SMT last year that mentioned the absence of these?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Leeautemps wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:19 pm Accountability, integrity, honesty.....didn't the Judge make comments about the SMT last year that mentioned the absence of these?
That would be a question for Rob T and Richardb, though I think you are right.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by robert totterdell »

Sorry Chaps

I have been slow to come back to this forum.

I have advised Simon Reid that if IICSA do not investigate CH I will petition for an Independent Inquiry but I will need 100,000 signatories.

Working on it.

Rob - if you want to see the letter it's on the site separately to this thread.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:11 pm Governor Qualifications and Disqualifications
https://www.governor.support/recruiting ... fications/

Section 13 - prohibitions from working with children
Section 14 - prohibitions with criminal convictions

None of the 1980/90s SMT would be barred from being a governor on the grounds given on the website as they did not commit or have been convicted of an offence under the current law.

Governance Recruitment
https://www.nga.org.uk/Governance-Recru ... ustee.aspx

"Governors and trustees must be prepared to adopt the Nolan principles of public life: selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership."

Suitability for the reasons above may be a different question given the court reported evidence of their handling of abuse at CH under their tenure, but for an appointing body that is arguably subjective.
Otter wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:16 am I have additionally just found Cairncross listed as a governor at Sir Robert Geffery's School, a Church of England primary school in Cornwall.

The school website is current although that particular governor profile is not up to date re. the Wells info.
Yes she retired from Wells July 18 (and before anyone comments on convenient timings - I got the feeling about 5 yrs ago that she planned to retire then)
ZeroDeConduite
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by ZeroDeConduite »

Todays' BBC West news bulletin contained a report of the IICSA's ongoing residential schools investigation into Wells Cathedral School - where, but for her retirement last year, Cairncross would have been the one interviewed about the 2007 conviction for pupil-abuse at the school by a staff member. This presumably happened after 2000, when Cairncross was Head of the school.
As it was, the recently-appointed Head was left to make all the usual apologies etc etc.
PrepA 1951-2 Peele A 1953-60
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

ZeroDeConduite wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:40 pm Todays' BBC West news bulletin contained a report of the IICSA's ongoing residential schools investigation into Wells Cathedral School - where, but for her retirement last year, Cairncross would have been the one interviewed about the 2007 conviction for pupil-abuse at the school by a staff member. This presumably happened after 2000, when Cairncross was Head of the school.
As it was, the recently-appointed Head was left to make all the usual apologies etc etc.
How convenient.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

I am pretty sure her retirement was planned about 5 years ago as my son left WCS on the same date as her and all the handover and succession planning had been in place for years
WiltshireChap
2nd Former

Post by WiltshireChap »

Does anyone happen to know if the Judge's sentencing remarks from the Karim trial were published? I would be keen to read a copy of them.