Former teacher, Tom Snook

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Former teacher, Tom Snook

Post by LHA »

HI. Just seeing if anyone remembers this teacher, or knows who he's up to know. Used to teach 'CDT' (Craft, Design and Technology) in the 1990s, and left, but returned to sailing holidays with the Scouts with Shippen and possibly Burr.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: Former teacher, Tom Snook

Post by jtaylor »

He taught me CDT - was a good teacher, so much so I was convinced I wanted to be a CDT teacher.

No idea what he’s been up to since.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Moving this to CH chat section.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

LHA wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:08 am HI. Just seeing if anyone remembers this teacher, or knows who he's up to know. Used to teach 'CDT' (Craft, Design and Technology) in the 1990s, and left, but returned to sailing holidays with the Scouts with Shippen and possibly Burr.
The 1990s was way after my time so I didn't know him.

However I remember reading on this forum of the tragic death of a boy with the same surname at the School. I assume the boy may have been his son.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=470&hilit=snook

If so then such a tragedy could well explain his departure.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

They were not related in any way, Andy.
scrub
Deputy Grecian

Post by scrub »

I remember Tom Snook. If my memory serves, he was one of those teachers you either really liked or were a little scared of. Or both. Good teacher, minimal tolerance for people messing about or wasting his time. I remember his as a very straightforward, no BS, type of guy. As long as you tried, even if you were a little technically inept, he would take the time to help you out.
Like a number of the CDT teachers, don't think he had a lot of time for a number of the other teaching staff. Can't remember if he left before I did in '96. Fairly sure he was still there in '94.

I went on one of the Norfolk Broads trips and I remember him (at least I'm 80% sure it was him) skippering one of the sail boats and the others on it remarking that he loved going as fast as possible in it and seemed to take no small joy in overtaking Shippen and Dobbie.
I don't think Burr went on the Broads trips, if he's the one I'm thinking of, he and his boat (it's not a barge!)* turned up at one of the other scout camps.

*it was a barge.
ThB 89-91, PeA 93-96
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I remember Snook a little, from Norfolk broads trips. My memories of him are that he sailed fast and wound up JDS bY sailing faster than him!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99