Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Politics

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 pm Wonderful typo in yesterday's Observer, in Will Hutton's article on Brexit: "The constitution does empower the monarch to assert fair play and the pubic interest..."
Who knew the old girl had this job along with all the others? I'd rather imagined this would be Boris's province.
Theory is one thing, practice another. Any action by Her could be seen as dictatorship by those who didn't agree. Were HM to act separately from Parliament then no doubt Labour would cry foul and depose her as they seem to have wanted to do for a long time.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

sejintenej wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 am
rockfreak wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:13 pm Wonderful typo in yesterday's Observer, in Will Hutton's article on Brexit: "The constitution does empower the monarch to assert fair play and the pubic interest..."
Who knew the old girl had this job along with all the others? I'd rather imagined this would be Boris's province.
Theory is one thing, practice another. Any action by Her could be seen as dictatorship by those who didn't agree. Were HM to act separately from Parliament then no doubt Labour would cry foul and depose her as they seem to have wanted to do for a long time.
Shades of King Charles I and Oliver Cromwell and we all know how that tale ended !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

rockfreak wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:45 pm I wonder if any CH pupils managed to bunk off to attend the Climate Change protests last week.
What is there to protest about? Glacial rebound in the Lake District? Bring back the glaciers, at least to Penrith. That should concentrate minds currently occupied with IndyRef 2 in Scotland.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

I know the Lake District very well and I think it's some time since there were glaciers at Penrith. I used to go winter climbing in Scotland and even there, in my recent lifetime, the climbing and skiing conditions are not what they were.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:07 pm I know the Lake District very well and I think it's some time since there were glaciers at Penrith. I used to go winter climbing in Scotland and even there, in my recent lifetime, the climbing and skiing conditions are not what they were.
My first job (in 1961) was to make up-to-date maps of Blaamansisen and Sulitjelmasisen (an icecap and a glacier) shown on 1903 maps. Sulitjelmasisen had already disappeared and the runoff from the icecap was very very rapid with movement of metres per day. Climate change is not new. OTOH a new miniglacxier had appeared in a different place.
As for rock climbing, the popularity has resulted in considerable extra wear on rock faces, tracks and moorland. We saw that a lot at Stone Farm and other Sussex and Kent sites.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Climate change may not be new but I don't believe there's much doubt that the events since the industrial revolution and the advent of mass production and consumption have massively hastened its advance. As far as climbing goes, I grew up after the war with tales of heroism and disaster on the North face of the Eiger. There used to be three "ice fields" at this time. Now I believe there is scarcely one.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 pm Climate change may not be new but I don't believe there's much doubt that the events since the industrial revolution and the advent of mass production and consumption have massively hastened its advance. As far as climbing goes, I grew up after the war with tales of heroism and disaster on the North face of the Eiger. There used to be three "ice fields" at this time. Now I believe there is scarcely one.
Haven't even considered the North Face for quite a few decades. Did the south face of the Corcovado - very different problems.

Climate can be a very very strange thing. You may recall a few years ago the start of a new "age" for the Maya- a period which lasts several thousand years. Archeologists discovered a glacier in that area which had formed so fast that warm climate trees with their leaves still on the branches were found in the ice; carbon dating showed that the trees were buried in a sudden ice storm at the start of the last such period.

That is not to say anything negative about current considerations but one thing such people don't seem to have thought about is lightening. This is causing wild fires which in many areas are hard to control; those currently in Siberia are melting the permafrost which was holding down huge amounts of methane which is now escaping.

I don't know the answer - the chump certainly is no answer. Whenever I hear proposals to reduce emissions by 2% or whatever my immediate thought is that there is greasing going on. With all the natural problems we need MINUS 2% even if it does hit a businessman in the pocket.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The current behaviour of the Jet Stream is not helping matters either.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:08 pm The current behaviour of the Jet Stream is not helping matters either.
Blame Hero of Alexandria and Frank Whittle
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Freaky does it again. Another letter in the Guardian today (Thurs), questioning whether another election is much use in discerning public opinion on Brexit, where people may decide to vote on other issues. Theresa May held the 2017 election supposedly on Brexit in order to give herself a better majority but political agents on the doorstep were saying that austerity fatigue was as much an issue. Why not another referendum?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

To be quite honest David, I'm sick of the whole Govenment/Opposition shenanigans.

Boris does what he thinks is right. Comrade Corbyn won't or is frighten of an election.

The other opposition parties. especially the porridge noshers don't care what they want apart from protecting their well paid jobs. I dread the possible Labour/SNP join up.

Boris won't consider Nigel for a union.

At the end of the day, many moons ago, the people voted leave and our so called politicians have done all they can to show that THEY are the power, NOT the people.

I think it's time for a civil war !!

(p.s. I'm glad Squeaker Bercow is on his bike and hopefully he definitely WON'T get a peerage. The man is an utter disgrace.)
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

John, this country's tradition is parliamentary democracy, not referendums. I believe that in Switzerland, where there are more referendums, civil servants and constitutional lawyers get together and devise the final wording of the referendum ballot paper so that the citizens are more au fait with the issues involved. In this country we have to get our information from politicians like Dominic ("Where is Dover?") Raab.

By the way, why is the CH Unofficial website suddenly getting lots of ads for exotic eastern ladies looking for husbands? Do they suspect that the English boarding school turns out loads of repressed, inhibited chaps who would welcome a bit of oriental fun and games?
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

J.R. wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 pm
I think it's time for a civil war !!
You base, hollow, unthinking, utter, utter cretin. I’ve seen a civil war in the Balkans. You really want one here?
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

rockfreak wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm By the way, why is the CH Unofficial website suddenly getting lots of ads for exotic eastern ladies looking for husbands? Do they suspect that the English boarding school turns out loads of repressed, inhibited chaps who would welcome a bit of oriental fun and games?
Er, because it is picking up on your browser history. I see adverts for power tools.

Have you found a wife yet?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

rockfreak wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm John, this country's tradition is parliamentary democracy, not referendums. I believe that in Switzerland, where there are more referendums, civil servants and constitutional lawyers get together and devise the final wording of the referendum ballot paper so that the citizens are more au fait with the issues involved. In this country we have to get our information from politicians like Dominic ("Where is Dover?") Raab.

By the way, why is the CH Unofficial website suddenly getting lots of ads for exotic eastern ladies looking for husbands? Do they suspect that the English boarding school turns out loads of repressed, inhibited chaps who would welcome a bit of oriental fun and games?
I have no control over advertising on here.
That's Julian's domain.