Politics

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Politics

Post by J.R. »

Avon wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 pm
J.R. wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 pm
I think it's time for a civil war !!
You base, hollow, unthinking, utter, utter cretin. I’ve seen a civil war in the Balkans. You really want one here?
Slightly tongue in cheek one liner Ed.

However, I do take great exception to your use of words to describe me. I did consider using my position as a moderator, then decided I'd leave your post as printed.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

rockfreak wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm By the way, why is the CH Unofficial website suddenly getting lots of ads for exotic eastern ladies looking for husbands? Do they suspect that the English boarding school turns out loads of repressed, inhibited chaps who would welcome a bit of oriental fun and games?
I'm no expert, but I've always understood that internet ads are tailored to the individual user based on 'cookies' showing one's surfing habits. So I might see an ad for 'casual leather boots at 60% off', displayed above as I type (showing that I'm a fashion-conscience pauper), while someone else might be looking at an ad for exotic eastern ladies, based on their surfing history... :lol: :lol:

I stand to be corrected, of course, but it'll be a crying shame if I'm wrong!

J.R. wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:53 am
Avon wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:25 pm
J.R. wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:08 pm
I think it's time for a civil war !!
You base, hollow, unthinking, utter, utter cretin. I’ve seen a civil war in the Balkans. You really want one here?
Slightly tongue in cheek one liner Ed.

However, I do take great exception to your use of words to describe me. I did consider using my position as a moderator, then decided I'd leave your post as printed.
Yes, perhaps a tad OTT, but you do have a tendency to post comments that provoke extreme reactions. Given your position as a moderator, that's something you should take into consideration.
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

I must be boring as my ads are for Led light bulbs.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I get quite a variety, never been offered an exotic husband though! It seems to bear little relationship with recent browsing, I’ve never looked for retro record players, a recent one.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

Now cowboy boots!
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

What am I missing out on? teen aged blonde Russian nymphs ........?????!! I don't see any adverts at all though there is a header by Julian that readers MIGHT see advert for which he gets a small sum to help with overheads. (That is OK by me if it is for geriatric aids

OK so I normally link directly to Quick Links but I have just been back and cycled through a sample of possibilities with nary a peep. I am therefore tempted to follow the line that they follow your viewing history.

OTOH I do have an ad blocker somewhere as well as antivirus etc etc. ad infinitum so I repeat, what juicy stuff am I missing?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

I’m being urged to get a 15 year mortgage. Considering we own our house, it seems a little strange. Obviously I need to start searching some more interesting sites.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

I’m getting adverts about immigrating to Canada. Not a bad idea...
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

My latest have been very boring, slim line wallets - never ever looked for one, and researching family history, I’ve done nothing like that for several years.

I don’t understand the algorithm!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Holiday cottages for me.

Also an invitation to sign up for Medical School. The algorithm cannot know my age or the fact that my Physics with Chemistry 'O' level was obtained at the lowest pass grade!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

At least you passed! I blame Phallic Mathews and Potty Burr (quite a combination, one a chain smoker and the other...). I managed to fail three times yet got pretty good grades at all the others despite for some reason being pushed on to do O levels at 14.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

dsm wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:13 am At least you passed! I blame Phallic Mathews and Potty Burr (quite a combination, one a chain smoker and the other...). I managed to fail three times yet got pretty good grades at all the others despite for some reason being pushed on to do O levels at 14.
Wasn't 14 normal? I did 4 subjects then, passed 2 and failed 2. Passed one failure (English Lit) that December and did a whole passel the next summer and (from memory) more the following summer. Ended up with 13 O levels but several were worthless ones.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Things were very different at Hertford. I can’t remember anyone doing O levels early. For most people, 8 was the maximum, though it was possible to take either Art or Music, almost as an aside, as an extra ninth one. The A levels was the rule too, I desperately wanted to do a fourth, I could already see double Maths & Physics was horribly narrow.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Katharine wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:21 am Things were very different at Hertford. I can’t remember anyone doing O levels early. For most people, 8 was the maximum, though it was possible to take either Art or Music, almost as an aside, as an extra ninth one. The A levels was the rule too, I desperately wanted to do a fourth, I could already see double Maths & Physics was horribly narrow.
This was pretty much the case at Horsham in the 70s. Everyone took 6 compulsory subjects at O Level: Maths, Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Combined Science (2 O Levels) and French plus 2 subjects for which there was a degree of choice, in my case Design and Technology, and History. Art was one of the optional subject but possibly musicians took O Level music on top of their music exams; I don't know. A few were allowed to drop one or more subjects but I am pretty sure they all left after O Levels anyway.

About one third of the year group took O Levels a year early at 15 rather than 16. They were streamed into the Lower Erasmus for their final year in their junior house instead of the Lower Fourth (junior house) and Upper Fourth (senior house) for the rest of us. I think this worked fine for the really bright kids but LF and UF was a better option for me certainly. I don't know if anyone took 4 A Levels, perhaps the very brightest, but everyone taking maths A Level took the further maths O Level at the end of their Deps' year, and we had the opportunity to take things like a French AO Level during on one's Deps if one wanted.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:11 pm
rockfreak wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm By the way, why is the CH Unofficial website suddenly getting lots of ads for exotic eastern ladies looking for husbands? Do they suspect that the English boarding school turns out loads of repressed, inhibited chaps who would welcome a bit of oriental fun and games?
I'm no expert, but I've always understood that internet ads are tailored to the individual user based on 'cookies' showing one's surfing habits. So I might see an ad for 'casual leather boots at 60% off', displayed above as I type (showing that I'm a fashion-conscience pauper), while someone else might be looking at an ad for exotic eastern ladies, based on their surfing history... :lol: :lol:

I stand to be corrected, of course, but it'll be a crying shame if I'm wrong!

Indeed - the privacy policy explicitly states that "this website uses Cookies to ensure you get best experience on our website". Perhaps "freaky" is freaky for more than rocks, eh?
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997