Bursaries Shmursaries

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

rockfreak
Grecian

Bursaries Shmursaries

Post by rockfreak »

I've just received a letter from the proverbial Simon asking me for a contribution for a bursary to CH. He clearly doesn't keep up to date with these sites because otherwise he'd have discovered that I've been banned from the official CHOBA site by an uptight, haughty, professional PR woman who is presumably employed to try and dissuade people from the view that the private boarding school system is an institution run by snobs, sadists, pederasts and psychological retards and doesn't turn out people like Boris Johnson and Steve Hilton. Nor that on the unofficial site I opined that a megabomb should be put under the school and that it should be blown sky high. Nor that I recently had a letter published in the Guardian saying that the private school sector is playing a big part in keeping our country in the educational and social dark ages.
No, our Simon has missed all this and has now come onto me for a contribution. Does scraping the bottom of the barrel come to mind here?
richardb
Forum Moderator

Re: Bursaries Shmursaries

Post by richardb »

I received the same begging letter.

Last Friday I was one of a number of OBs who went to the school to attend before the Redress Committee.

The attitude of the Treasurer made absolutely sure that I will never give the school a penny.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I imagine most of us received the mailing. It is now in my recycling bin!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:32 pm I've just received a letter from the proverbial Simon asking me for a contribution for a bursary to CH. He clearly doesn't keep up to date with these sites because otherwise he'd have discovered that I've been banned from the official CHOBA site by an uptight, haughty, professional PR woman who is presumably employed to try and dissuade people from the view that the private boarding school system is an institution run by snobs, sadists, pederasts and psychological retards.........................................
No, our Simon has missed all this and has now come onto me for a contribution. Does scraping the bottom of the barrel come to mind here?
If there are 100 leavers every year (it is actually far more) and we live to 70 years of age (average) that is 50,000 names to check against a list of naer-do-wells! And then of course people move house on average every 7 years or so!

I had a letter the other day from an organisation I left in October1961; somehow they had followed me through five UK addresses and four foreign addresses! They were only dealing with 65 to 70 for each year or maybe double that number. It is, of course, possible but is CH up to that ability?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:13 pm
rockfreak wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:32 pm I've just received a letter from the proverbial Simon asking me for a contribution for a bursary to CH. He clearly doesn't keep up to date with these sites because otherwise he'd have discovered that I've been banned from the official CHOBA site by an uptight, haughty, professional PR woman who is presumably employed to try and dissuade people from the view that the private boarding school system is an institution run by snobs, sadists, pederasts and psychological retards.........................................
If there are 100 leavers every year (it is actually far more) and we live to 70 years of age (average) that is 50,000 names to check against a list of naer-do-wells! And then of course people move house on average every 7 years or so!

I had a letter the other day from an organisation I left in October1961; somehow they had followed me through five UK addresses and four foreign addresses! They were only dealing with 65 to 70 for each year or maybe double that number. It is, of course, possible but is CH up to that ability?
Odd maths... 50 x 100 = 5,000!!!
dsm
3rd Former

Post by dsm »

That's banker's maths!
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:32 pm ... the private boarding school system is an institution run by snobs, sadists, pederasts and psychological retards and doesn't turn out people like Boris Johnson and Steve Hilton. Nor that on the unofficial site I opined that a megabomb should be put under the school and that it should be blown sky high. Nor that I recently had a letter published in the Guardian saying that the private school sector is playing a big part in keeping our country in the educational and social dark ages.
For goodness sake won't you just put a sock in it? We get it; you don't like private education but do you have to go on, and on, and on, and on, about it like a broken record? It is just so boring!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Well if Labour get elected they may abolish charitable status of private schools and then where would CH be?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I also received the letter.
Perhaps the School would do better to target those OB's known to have made more than just 'a bob or two !'
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

sejintenej wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:13 pm
GDPR should in theory put a stop to it these days.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Katharine wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm Well if Labour get elected they may abolish charitable status of private schools and then where would CH be?

Interestingly it was two Tory politicians who mooted the idea in 1944. Churchill (Harrow) who wanted to dilute the schools by flooding them with assisted places (although still keeping the boarding element) and Rab Butler (Marlborough) who wanted to abolish them completely because he thought they would be out of step with the coming age. But they couldn't agree so we got the Fleming report instead which has since been conceded as not really the answer. So Labour will only be taking up an idea that is over half a century old. CH and its magnificent facilities will be absorbed into the state sector so that more local people can take advantage rather than envying it from afar. And the teachers will become employees of the state just as the doctors and clinicians became in 1948.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

rockfreak wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:52 pm
Katharine wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:02 pm Well if Labour get elected they may abolish charitable status of private schools and then where would CH be?

And the teachers will become employees of the state just as the doctors and clinicians became in 1948.
Apart from the doctors and clinicians in the private sector...
Alex
2nd Former

Post by Alex »

At its inception the NHS was intentionally structured so that almost all the Doctors and most others who participated to provide care for the patients were independently employed and NOT state employees. This was a policy strongly pushed by Aneurin Bevan, the left wing Minister of Health. He was a very shrewd politician who used this incentive, most successfully, to encourage the medical establishment (especially the British Medical Association) to cooperate fully with the NHS. Hence it is possible that if private schools are “nationalised” their teachers need not become state employees, so repeating the role of doctors, etc, in the newly created NHS of 1948. Today most such state suppliers of medical care in the NHS (family doctors, etc) remain independent practitioners and not state employees. For many years Private Medical Care in the UK was virtually non existent, for the NHS provided reasonably adequate health care. This is no longer true, alas. The principle of independent practitioners being the backbone of a state controlled health care system has worked for over 70 years in the NHS, so it could work in the putative National Educational System, which has recently been discussed in this thread of the forum.

As Wikipedia puts it,
“Primary care: GPs were independent contractors (that is, they were not salaried employees) and would be paid for each person on their list. Dentists, opticians and pharmacists also generally provided services as independent contractors.”
MrEd
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MrEd »

There is a quote floating around, probably from Ben Trovato, that of doctors' opposition to the NHS, Bevan said 'I shall stuff their mouths with gold'.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Yes I accept the differences between directly state paid as against independent practitioners but if private schools are abolished where will they go? They'll be effectively state employees because there won't be any other work. In today's Thatcherite world I suppose they'll be the pedagogic equivalent of Uber and Deliveroo drivers.