Congratulations To Joe Launchbury

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Congratulations To Joe Launchbury

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I heard that today, the fourth is Jack Singleton. See https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-50240391 I think Jack may have had much the same experience of the World Cup as our CH Joe.

The school has changed since we were there, it is bigger now and just 11-18, whereas it had its own Lower School from age 5, when my father worked there. I think the threat of building a Grammar School in the town made them think seriously about their future, and now it is a Voluntary Aided State School.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

A disappointing end to it all for England.

As it transpired that match would have suited Joe Launchbury although I am not implying that his selection would have changed the result.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

An interview with Joe Launchbury following the World Cup.

Might be of interest to some:

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... aunchbury/
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

cstegerlewis wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:55 am I think they were all part of the Saracens Academy, who sponsored their place at St George’s, IIRC Harrow had a similar arrangement with Wasps until they moved to Coventry.
London Irish have deals with both Wellington (the Armitages for instance) and Gordon's School Woking (Jake Ball and my daughters team mates elder brother)

Bath with Millfield

I think all the Prem teams have a pet school
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

cstegerlewis wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:55 am I think they were all part of the Saracens Academy, who sponsored their place at St George’s, IIRC Harrow had a similar arrangement with Wasps until they moved to Coventry.
London Irish have deals with both Wellington (the Armitages for instance) and Gordon's School Woking (Jake Ball and my daughters team mates elder brother)

Bath with Millfield

I think all the Prem teams have a pet school
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Joe is captaining Wasps in the Premiership final against Exeter this evening, kick-off 6pm.
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

Unfortunately they've just gone down to the boys from the land of cider apples at a rain-lashed Twickers. Can some rugger b*gger clear things up for me. Do Exeter Chiefs actually get a trophy (like silverware) for finishing the season by having accumulated the greatest number of points over a period of time in the Gallagher Premiership, or is it then submitted to a lottery in which the top four finishers fight it out among themselves? If Exeter have won the league over the season I haven't seen much commentary about it in the sports press. All talk has been about the top four mini-knock out competition.

I'm dead against play-offs in any sport. Either you've earned your points over a season or you haven't. Either it's a league or a knock-out competition. I guess it's a case of men in suits at head office finding new ways of knackering our top players in order to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. A few seasons ago I read an interview with retiring Wales captain Sam Warburton who said that when he washed his hair the day after a match his head hurt. This cannot be good.

On the subject of Exeter Chiefs, why did some people object to the Chiefs bit, to the extent that the club withdrew their mascot complete with Red Indian headress? PC gone mad? I thought that most people rather admired the Plains Indians of the 19th century. Environmentally conscious and living in extended families with Sitting Bull seeing the tribes had their share of the bison and that everyone was looked after. Definitely preferable to today's Tory party. Yes I know that they scalped their enemies but today we've got our own scalpers. They're called investment bankers.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:50 pm Can some rugger b*gger clear things up for me. Do Exeter Chiefs actually get a trophy (like silverware) for finishing the season by having accumulated the greatest number of points over a period of time in the Gallagher Premiership, or is it then submitted to a lottery in which the top four finishers fight it out among themselves?
Neatly summed up. It is "then submitted to a lottery in which the top four finishers fight it out among themselves".
I'm dead against play-offs in any sport. Either you've earned your points over a season or you haven't. Either it's a league or a knock-out competition. I guess it's a case of men in suits at head office finding new ways of knackering our top players in order to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.
Money, money, money...
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Good to see Joe get an outing against Georgia today.
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Mid A 15 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:37 pm Good to see Joe get an outing against Georgia today.
Certainly was. Tough opposition forwards; tough conditions. Acquitted himself well. Suspect the Aussie won't pick him for next Saturday's bigger match v Ireland
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by harryh »

Wrong again! Don't think I could tip a barrow.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

harryh wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:14 pm Don't think I could tip a barrow.
Never heard that one before! :lol: :lol:

He had a good game against Georgia and it's good to see him in the starting line-up again.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Congratulations to Joe on his 50th cap for England today!

68 good minutes before Eddie removed him too.

EDIT: I'm confused because on TV today they congratulated Joe on his 50th cap yet I've read elsewhere that he has 65!

Can anyone clarify? Could it be 50 caps against 6 Nations teams they are referring to?
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

It was his 50th start, but he has 64 caps in total
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
harryh
GE (Great Erasmus)