Bishop Ball documentary BBC2 2100 TONIGHT

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
Deputy Grecian

Bishop Ball documentary BBC2 2100 TONIGHT

Post by LHA »

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Bishop Ball documentary BBC2 2100 TONIGHT

Post by J.R. »

I certainly watched it, as did Richard B.

Part 2 is next Tuesday evening.

Just shows you how easy it is for people of intellect tp groom then abuse young boys.

As it is considered 'bad form' to speak ill of the dead, Ill leave it there for now.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

MY MISTAKE.
Part 2 TONIGHT BBC1 900pm.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

A very good, if somewhat disturbing Part 11.

It just shows how much influence the Church has in covering up it's abuse of juniors.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on here, given Bishop Ball's connections with CH during his tenure as Bishop of Chichester.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Haven’t watched it yet, and in two minds whether to or not. I did not experience anything untoward with him, but he did my confirmation in the school chapel.
Last edited by cstegerlewis on Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

It just shows that patronage is required to get to the top in any organisation and it comes with obligations.

And the way the Establishment works is not going to change.

The local police and the CPS were nobbled and even now no one is being held to account for obstructing a police investigation.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

J.R. wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:37 am A very good, if somewhat disturbing Part 11.

It just shows how much influence the Church has in covering up it's abuse of juniors.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more comment on here, given Bishop Ball's connections with CH during his tenure as Bishop of Chichester.
I too am surprised so little comment on here.
I haven't watched part 2 yet - couldn't face it after catching-up part 1 last night - but will do this evening...

It's quite scary to see the old documentary featuring him at his home in Lewes with so many young men/boys being given accommodation by him.
Was this the same place home-sick children were sent to from CH by the SMT/chaplaincy?
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I strongly advise any OB's of this era to watch both parts of this programme.

YES - It's disturbing. Maybe because I was mature enough after leaving CH to join the police, I was able to see the other side of the coin.

As I said before, I won't speak ill of the dead but I do have alternative wording for RIP for this particular alleged secular person.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Watched the second part tonight - harrowing.

The use of the phrase “non-recent” abuse or “historical abuse” by CH has always grated with me - somehow made it maybe feel like ages ago, and maybe somehow less significant.....but have never been able to articulate quite why.

The documentary explained how calling it “historical abuse” is wholly inappropriate - it is NEVER historic for the victims, and they live with it every day. It is CURRENT abuse as far as the victims are concerned.

This rang very true for me - and perhaps explains why I still find myself so angry about what happened, and that it appears to be trivialised by calling it “historical” abuse....
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Have watched both parts - very disturbing. It certainly portrays the CofE in a shocking light, but judging by reports in other media, other churches - other religions, even - seem to have suffered from similar problems, including not just abuse, but also high-level cover-ups.

One aspect of the programme which I found confusing was the way in which real people and events were interspersed with 'dramatic reconstructions' without any explanation of which was which. For example, Episode Two included depiction of Ball's arrest. It was so realistic that I assumed it was the actual event and could not work out how the police had managed to film it all. Indeed, it was only several hours later that I realised that it was a dramatisation. Another example. Were all the talking heads who they really said they were, or were some actors? I appreciate that I am getting old and slow, but I feel that some others may find similar difficulties.
David :shock
ASR
2nd Former

Post by ASR »

J.R. wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:37 am A very good, if somewhat disturbing Part 11.

I think you meant to say he was bishop of Lewes . . .
BaA 1966-69 & PeA1969-73
www.AdrianReith.com
ASR
2nd Former

Post by ASR »

jtaylor wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:15 pm Watched the second part tonight - harrowing.

The use of the phrase “non-recent” abuse or “historical abuse” by CH has always grated with me - somehow made it maybe feel like ages ago, and maybe somehow less significant.....but have never been able to articulate quite why.

The documentary explained how calling it “historical abuse” is wholly inappropriate - it is NEVER historic for the victims, and they live with it every day. It is CURRENT abuse as far as the victims are concerned.

This rang very true for me - and perhaps explains why I still find myself so angry about what happened, and that it appears to be trivialised by calling it “historical” abuse....
True. That statement jumped out for me too . . . there's nothing historical about it if you live with the effects every day.
BaA 1966-69 & PeA1969-73
www.AdrianReith.com
ASR
2nd Former

Post by ASR »

If you want to watch on BBC iPlayer you have 27 days from now. I'd recommend all of it, but especially episode 2 which is illuminating on how institutions can behave in a cover-up. Links here:

Ep: 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -episode-1

Ep: 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... -episode-2
BaA 1966-69 & PeA1969-73
www.AdrianReith.com
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

Very shocking and disturbing documentary. George Carey should be ashamed (and also thrown out of the House of Lords).
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Foureyes wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:22 pm Have watched both parts - very disturbing. It certainly portrays the CofE in a shocking light, but judging by reports in other media, other churches - other religions, even - seem to have suffered from similar problems, including not just abuse, but also high-level cover-ups.

One aspect of the programme which I found confusing was the way in which real people and events were interspersed with 'dramatic reconstructions' without any explanation of which was which. For example, Episode Two included depiction of Ball's arrest. It was so realistic that I assumed it was the actual event and could not work out how the police had managed to film it all. Indeed, it was only several hours later that I realised that it was a dramatisation. Another example. Were all the talking heads who they really said they were, or were some actors? I appreciate that I am getting old and slow, but I feel that some others may find similar difficulties.
David :shock
Apart from the recollections from the victims, the 'talking heads' were indeed actors. Peter Ball was played by Donald Sumpter. George Carey was played by David Calder.