Dr Jory

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

RemedyLaw
3rd Former

Dr Jory

Post by RemedyLaw »

Hi all,

I wonder if any former CH'ers are able to recall Dr Jory at all?

If you are able to recall him at CH can you please email me on Charles.derham@verisonalaw.com

Many thanks

Charles
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Dr Jory

Post by Katharine »

Strange, I thought that was the name of the Hertford doctor, but I had very little contact with him.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

VerisonaLaw wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:55 pm Hi all,

If you are able to recall him at CH can you please email me on Charles.derham@verisonalaw.com

Many thanks

Charles
Dr Jory was still at Hertford in 1983-84, two years before the merger.

Is there any way of publicising this among the female OB contingent? Not many visit this forum.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Janey Jam-Jar wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:51 pm
VerisonaLaw wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:55 pm Hi all,

Many thanks

Charles
Dr Jory was still at Hertford in 1983-84, two years before the merger.

Is there any way of publicising this among the female OB contingent? Not many visit this forum.
I know from previous posts that there is an exclusive CH Ladies Hertford group on Facebook. I don't know whether Katharine is a member being arguably the most regular female poster here.

There is also a general Old Blues group on Facebook but from what I've read of it the posters are young (ie nineties and beyond) in the main.

I will try and link this thread to it anyway if my limited IT skills allow!

EDIT: I have now put it on the Facebook Old Blues Group. Someone else will grasp the baton and post it to the CH Ladies Group hopefully.
Last edited by Mid A 15 on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I'm not on FaceBook so I can't help there. I know Mary (English Angel) is, is anyone still in touch with her? I have emailed Charles. I also did a search here for the name Jory and I was right the doctor was called that. There are some of Angela's vivid descriptions of her encounters with him! There is also a suggestion that his squeezing wouldn't be allowed nowadays. I was revoltingly healthy while at CH and hardly remember him.

I don't think there is any argument as to who is currently the most regular female poster here!
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

Thanks, Mid A 15. I've linked the thread onto the 1990s Leavers group and the CH Support Group. There are Hertford 'girls' on there.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:08 am I'm not on FaceBook so I can't help there. I know Mary (English Angel) is, is anyone still in touch with her? I have emailed Charles. I also did a search here for the name Jory and I was right the doctor was called that. There are some of Angela's vivid descriptions of her encounters with him! There is also a suggestion that his squeezing wouldn't be allowed nowadays. I was revoltingly healthy while at CH and hardly remember him.

I don't think there is any argument as to who is currently the most regular female poster here!

Indeed!

I was being diplomatic :D
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I picked this up from Old Blues, and after lot of faffing on my phone have managed to copy it to CH Ladies.
I have no comments myself but as you say others may have.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
RemedyLaw
3rd Former

Post by RemedyLaw »

Morning everyone

Thank you to those who have made contact and for reaching out to others.

I appreciate the contact and will touch base with those who have emailed me direct.

Best

Charles
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I remember Dr Jory from between 1981-1985. I’m not sure if he was there the whole of that period but that’s the years I was there and he was most certainly the school doctor in the infirmary at the start of my time there. We were made to stand in a line in the infirmary wearing just knickers and he’d walk along the line looking at us and then looking down our knickers. As an adult this does not seem right (and actually, it didn’t seem right even as a child) but we had no choice but to stand in the line and be subjected to this unpleasant experience.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

For your information on this thread, I am reliably informed that the named Doctor is deceased.

I am in conversation with Katharine and Richard B.

I suggest if any of you have information which may be of help, then contact the poster direct.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Janey Jam-Jar
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Janey Jam-Jar »

https://www.bmj.com/content/334/7598/857.4

There's an obituary here in the BMJ but as I'm not a subscriber I can't see it properly.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

The obituary can be seen free https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1853168/

I thought he must be dead by now, I don’t remember thinking of him as a young man, and I left more than 50 years ago!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:28 am I picked this up from Old Blues, and after lot of faffing on my phone have managed to copy it to CH Ladies.
I have no comments myself but as you say others may have.
Thanks for posting Mary.

Good to hear from you, despite the possible negative circumstances, I hope all is well with you and yours.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72