Freedom Of Information

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Freedom Of Information

Post by Mid A 15 »

This will interest you.

Following the Government's freedom of information act you can now
get access to speed camera offences registered in the last 12 months

Did you know that every time your car goes past a speed camera, even
1mph
over the set limit it is registered and put on a database?

You only get a ticket if you are way over the limit or, (this is the bit
that we didn't know) if you receive over 20 near misses, you will be classed as a serial
offender and get a ticket
the next time you go just over the limit.

This is why you hear of people being done for 34mph in a 30 limit area
whilst
others doing 39 do not.

You can check what has been registered against your vehicle at the
following address

http://www.e-database.co.uk/default.asp

You will be asked for a password but just click on the need a password
link
and you will be given one for future use.

if there is any data on your vehicle you can click on the camera window

to
see a copy of the photograph.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

someone has too much time on their hands to bother create these sites...

:roll:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Now you've done it.

I got

SERVICE UNAVAILABLE.

No explanation
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Ok, if you take the 'default' off the end it comes up.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

In the 'Good Old Days', prior to vascar etc, you would always be given a 10 per cent tolerance.

Hence, if the speed limit was 30, you would NOT be prosecuted for doing 33 m.p.h. 34 m.p.h. would be debatable. 35 m.p.h. would probably result in prosecution.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I got my email telling me this thread had a new post, but when I tried to access it I was told it did not exist.

Now I am getting paranoid.

But it doesn't mean I am not being watched.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

According to that site, my car was in Middlesbrough , Cleveland on Jan 6th 2006, doing 80.6 mph - well all I can say is that it must have been going much faster than that to get there and back in the hour or so I wasn`t at home!! Because it was parked outside the house when I left and was there when I returned- and stayed there the rest of the day!

Hmmmmm......
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

And that`s even more interesting - it was in Cambridge on the very same day! no doubt if I do another search I`ll be visiting Dave by the Sea down in glorious Cornwall! It ought to at least be consistent!!!

On a more serious but related matter - , as a matter of interest, does anyone know if digital speedos are more accurate than the others? I know they`re easier to read, but are they spot on with their accuracy?
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mrs C. wrote:According to that site, my car was in Middlesbrough , Cleveland on Jan 6th 2006, doing 80.6 mph - well all I can say is that it must have been going much faster than that to get there and back in the hour or so I wasn`t at home!! Because it was parked outside the house when I left and was there when I returned- and stayed there the rest of the day!

Hmmmmm......
there have been a number of cases where the scum of this country have put incorrectly numbered plates on a car and then the real plate owner gets a summons for a crime he didn't commit.

The only case that I know of where the courts have found in favour of the innocent was when an old steam road roller was clocked at over 80 mph. Probably cost the owner more to clear his name than the fine would have been.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:In the 'Good Old Days', prior to vascar etc, you would always be given a 10 per cent tolerance.

Hence, if the speed limit was 30, you would NOT be prosecuted for doing 33 m.p.h. 34 m.p.h. would be debatable. 35 m.p.h. would probably result in prosecution.
Here in Spain, the last time that had a blitz on speeding, they actually announced that there was a tolerance of 10 or 20%, can't remember which.
They have also set up a number of fixed speed cameras which really do slow people down as we all know where they are.
The favourite is to set up outside a village, which has a 50kph hour limit, frequently controlled by traffic lights which go red if you exceed the limit. They then catch you on the other side as you speed up with relief and are normally hitting about 80kph as you come over the brow and see them sitting there. They then claim you were speeding in the village, i.e., before the sign which says you have left the village, and an instant fine is the result.
We can now get a GPS which accesses a database and tells you where the cameras are located, but the cost exceeds theat of 2 fines a year so...
I have always wondered about speeding when I drive over in my Spanish registration car, but the traffic is so slow on the M25 that I rarely get the chance to put it to the test.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mrs C. wrote:And that`s even more interesting - it was in Cambridge on the very same day! no doubt if I do another search I`ll be visiting Dave by the Sea down in glorious Cornwall! It ought to at least be consistent!!!

On a more serious but related matter - , as a matter of interest, does anyone know if digital speedos are more accurate than the others? I know they`re easier to read, but are they spot on with their accuracy?
I hate digital speedos, I much prefer analogue.

And I cannot drive a VW as the colour of the light on the dashboard gives me a migraine.

There are a couple of places where you can find out where the fixed speed cameras are. One is on the local websites of the BBC and the other is somewhere on the AA site. This was justified as this was why the AA was set up. AA men (in those days) had to salute their members (hence the grille badge) If they didn't salute it meant there was a police car just around the corner.

On the website it says that of course speed cameras are set up at accident blackspots so it is in their members interests to know where the cameras are so they can drive more carefully at these ACCIDENT BLACKSPOTS.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Great website! ;)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:And that`s even more interesting - it was in Cambridge on the very same day! no doubt if I do another search I`ll be visiting Dave by the Sea down in glorious Cornwall! It ought to at least be consistent!!!

I hate digital speedos, I much prefer analogue.

And I cannot drive a VW as the colour of the light on the dashboard gives me a migraine.

There are a couple of places where you can find out where the fixed speed cameras are. One is on the local websites of the BBC and the other is somewhere on the AA site. This was justified as this was why the AA was set up. AA men (in those days) had to salute their members (hence the grille badge) If they didn't salute it meant there was a police car just around the corner.

On the website it says that of course speed cameras are set up at accident blackspots .
but of course. We had an excellent example recently in our town on a road where the limit is 30mph.

The council put up for public consideration plans for the pedestrianisation of the high street and making traffic follow a parallel road. One of the diagrams was a very large map of the entire affected part of the town showing exactly where every traffic accident had occurred in the past 25 years, and the severity of each such accident - fatal, serious injury, minor injury and what amounted to a touch plus of course all the numbers involved. The map was absolutely littered with accident site markings

One area was noticable by the fact that there had been no recorded accidents in two places which are close together; one is where they sited the speed camera 2 years ago and the other is where, for the past few months there is often an unmarked speed camera van.
Yes - definitely accident blackspots if you live in the antimatter world.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!