Cross-country runs

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Cross-country runs

Post by sejintenej »

loringa wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm
On an unrelated subject, is anybody else now getting adverts appearing in the middle of posts not just at the top and bottom of the page - very strange?
Not me but it may be the way I log in; straight to general index and thence to new posts. Nothing on any posts but I do have a block on various strange things like pop-ups plus very vigilant virus checks, multiple fire walls .........
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

sejintenej wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Mid A 15 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:50 pm
Back in the Dark Ages, when sejintenej and I were there, monitors were allowed to give running punishments: miles, double miles and, dependent on which end of The Avenue your House was, loops or Post Office Runs.

A monitor would track you on a bicycle as you completed the requisite distance. How do I know this? Did I pick up my fair share of these punishments? :wink:
For the benefit of younger readers and ladies each person was allotted a limit time for a mile (we didn't do double miles) and PO Paths each of which included changing clothes. The limit was intended to be only just be possible with a modicum of luck so usually you didn't beat your time and would have to repeat and repeat until the monitor giving the punishment decided it had bee "done". What we didn't try to control was the changing - from normal dress into shirt and shorts was far faster than the other way. From memory my time for a mile was 6 mins 30 seconds in the year before I became a monitor. Tracking as described was rare in Col A when I was trades monitor; if it were found I suspect that Kit would exercise his cane and then enforce the punishment.
In Barnes B it was 5 minutes for the loop, 8 minutes for a mile , 10 minutes for a long loop, (outside loop and then the mile) and 16 for the double mile. No following on bikes although some monitors would occasional wander up to Big Side to see what was going on. I rarely gave punishments but the Dayroom monitor used to rack up over 50 a term.
Last edited by jhopgood on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

In Coleridge B, I only remember Miles an PO's.

I don't remember any supervision other than starting and reporting back to house.

I've no recollection of double miles at all ever being given.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
PeA31
2nd Former

Post by PeA31 »

Straz's recollection of a serious injury in Shelley's Wood during a steeplechase is spot-on - I was on the scene almost immediately and it was an unpleasant sight to behold. The unfortunate party was one of the nicest people you will ever meet so he will remain nameless in view of the subsequent events at the hospital. I had either forgotten or never heard the tale about the pants.
Fertii
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Fertii »

Shelley's Wood is very fenced off now - I remember one Saturday activity coppicing in there with a machete. Steeplechases are very tame now - as mentioned - just a few laps of Bigside, starting outside Hunt...

Yes....I too can find a woman through the ads now appearing, or even learn about my digital transformation guide...
rockfreak
Grecian

Post by rockfreak »

J Hopgood correctly remembers Ian and Peter Bissett of Lamb B coming in stride for stride to win the steeplechase. It was expected that a chap named Boris Holmes from one of the Thornton houses would win but at the start of the final straight with Big School in sight he was looking knackered and the Bissetts came striding past, as you say, stride for stride. They were built like Zola Budd which I think is always a help in long distance running. I've no doubt it helps to be lonely as well although in this case as twins they wouldn't have been. Other memories from this era include Hillier of Col A getting to the final straight but finding himself running on empty and collapsing dramatically just before the tape.

Regarding Loringa'a complaint about being interrupted by advertisements, I have a theory that when you get to a certain age they feel that you are suitable fodder for Asian brides and penis enlargement. That's my theory anyway.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

rockfreak wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:26 pm Regarding Loringa'a complaint about being interrupted by advertisements, I have a theory that when you get to a certain age they feel that you are suitable fodder for Asian brides and penis enlargement. That's my theory anyway.
I could deal with those, but mine are for D cup swimwear!
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

LongGone wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 am
rockfreak wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:26 pm Regarding Loringa'a complaint about being interrupted by advertisements, I have a theory that when you get to a certain age they feel that you are suitable fodder for Asian brides and penis enlargement. That's my theory anyway.
Whereas I’ve never had that! At the moment they want to increase my wifi speed.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:17 pm
LongGone wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:16 am
Whereas I’ve never had that! At the moment they want to increase my wifi speed.
ROTFL I occasionally get emails from Russian dropdead would-be brides (aged 80 or more if the truth be known).
I am always very very tempted to try one of the ideas from www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm. For a good larf I recommend this and it's parallel site - hilarious.

Just to give a taste, the start of a message from Tagliatelli Carbonara to the Nigerian scammer after months of correspondence:
It is with great sorrow that I write to inform you of the death of my dear uncle, Pizza Pepperoni. He passed away suddenly early on Tuesday morning, apparently from an allergic reaction to toxins from spaghetti contaminated by pasta virus, although the full pathology report is not yet complete. As he had no children his estate will pass to his nephews - myself, my brother Fellatio and my cousin Ravioli. As my brother shamed his family by running off some time ago with a Serbian whore, Slobberon Mikokubic, and his current whereabouts are unknown, it may take some time to conclude Pizza’s affairs.
Of course, if you are hungry "Arthur Dent" wants to import Mancunian Haggis, Three footed Horseferret, Albanian Cheese Hedgehog.....I take no responsibility for deaths caused by laughter
Last edited by sejintenej on Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

J.R. wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:34 pm Certainly still in use summer 1963.
My older brother was described as a 'promising miler' by Pongo in his housemaster's report due to this in later 60's
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I fear we are wandering off topic, though rather amusing. :roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jabod2
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Jabod2 »

AMP wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:08 pm
Great Plum wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:24 am
These days, the don’t run it outside the ring fence so I assume they must just run around big side or something...
Shelley's Wood was ok, it was when you were back on concrete running up the road to Peele bridge you suddenly noticed the weight of all that mud, which made trying to lift one foot in front of the other very tough.
I recall thr 'Slippery Slip' in Shelley Wood, which was lethal to run through for the steeplechase
ecokestove
2nd Former

Post by ecokestove »

One of our runs in Maine B (late '50s early '60s) was the Broadbridge Mill Loop. An essential piece of equipment was a small wad of cotton wool. You put it in your matchbox to stop the matches from rattling. One or two pillboxes on the route IIRC. A housing estate by now I imagine.
Steve Cooke
Prep B, 1955-1957
Maine B, 1957-1962

Girdle generally worn low.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Yes, matches came in very handy for a fire to warm you up half way round the course...
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

Probably the more feared for me was Two Mile Ash to Tower Hill, down Parthings Lane, across several clay fields, swim/wade across the stream leading to Doctor’s Pond up past the Infirmary and back to the house. The only plus was, at the right time of year, Parthings Lane was loaded with blackberries and hazelnuts.
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg