Black Lives Matter

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

graham
Deputy Grecian

Re: Black Lives Matter

Post by graham »

Mid A 15 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:36 am No reasonable person of any colour or creed is going to dispute the ideology.

The conduct of the organisation taking that ideology as its name is open to debate.
Im not sure this is either true or what you mean. Is it the conduct of the organization, which in fact promotes peaceful protest, civil disobedience etc as a way of highlighting racial injustice, that you find problematic or is it opportunists who coopt their protests to loot and destroy?

If the latter, which I suspect you really mean, then sure looting is of course bad. But instead of saying “I don’t dispute the ideology but we can’t have this looting”, we change our focus and say “all this looting must stop but we have to fix this problem that affects our Black fellow citizens”? These small changes in sentence construction belie where White America and White Britain view the priorities to be. The second recognizes the depth of the problem BLM is trying to highlight. The first pays lip service to it; I’m not a racist but....

To be clear I’m not saying you (MidA15) or anyone else is a racist for saying sentence 1. What I’m saying is that this kind of speech helps maintain the current structurally racist system that people of color are forced to navigate
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

CARE; HIGHLY OFFENSIVE

I have just had foisted upon me the most offensive racist spiel which happens to come from the USA; it is not something I can avoid.

If you open for example Windows Explorer you get a screen with Microsoft News. OK, I find it hard to read because it is so bitty.

I happen to prefer the major competitor to Microsoft which used to have a short list of my most actively used sites. It has changed to a mess of news stories including one huge one about BSM storming a Christian church.

I don't dare copy all the text but the church, located apparently in a sensitive area (Troy?) raffles an AR-15 and just a tiny bit says he"
preached against interracial marriage, defends the use of the n-word, and believes that Black people, as descendants of Ham and Canaan, are cursed by God. He thinks Black History Month is “communism and Marxism month.” He calls Black Lives Matter protesters “savages.”
and then he gets similar bits about Muslims and all other religions. The article is only 44 screens long and I didn't get past screen 3.

If that is legal and tolerated in the USA and attention is pointed to it by a major US software company then what can one but think about the USA and its residents?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

sejintenej wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:49 pm CARE; HIGHLY OFFENSIVE

I have just had foisted upon me the most offensive racist spiel which happens to come from the USA; it is not something I can avoid.

If you open for example Windows Explorer you get a screen with Microsoft News. OK, I find it hard to read because it is so bitty.

I happen to prefer the major competitor to Microsoft which used to have a short list of my most actively used sites. It has changed to a mess of news stories including one huge one about BSM storming a Christian church.

I don't dare copy all the text but the church, located apparently in a sensitive area (Troy?) raffles an AR-15 and just a tiny bit says he"
preached against interracial marriage, defends the use of the n-word, and believes that Black people, as descendants of Ham and Canaan, are cursed by God. He thinks Black History Month is “communism and Marxism month.” He calls Black Lives Matter protesters “savages.”
and then he gets similar bits about Muslims and all other religions. The article is only 44 screens long and I didn't get past screen 3.

If that is legal and tolerated in the USA and attention is pointed to it by a major US software company then what can one but think about the USA and its residents?
Sadly, hate speech is protected by the first amendment here in the US. The fact that this crap is spewed in a “church” only strengthens its protection.
Graham Slater
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

graham wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:20 pm
sejintenej wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:49 pm CARE; HIGHLY OFFENSIVE
deleted

Sadly, hate speech is protected by the first amendment here in the US. The fact that this crap is spewed in a “church” only strengthens its protection.
But does Firefox have to export it around the world?
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

sejintenej wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:45 am But does Firefox have to export it around the world?
Firefox uses a set of algorithms that track browser history and suggest news articles that might be of interest to the user. It probably thought you would be interested in this story given the amount of time you’ve spent on this thread, as well as any other research you’ve been doing.

FYI BLM didn’t “storm” the church in question. They were actually invited in to be insulted by the leader of the group and subsequently organized a demonstration outside.
Graham Slater
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

graham wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:03 pm
sejintenej wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:45 am But does Firefox have to export it around the world?
Firefox uses a set of algorithms that track browser history and suggest news articles that might be of interest to the user. It probably thought you would be interested in this story given the amount of time you’ve spent on this thread, as well as any other research you’ve been doing.

FYI BLM didn’t “storm” the church in question. They were actually invited in to be insulted by the leader of the group and subsequently organized a demonstration outside.
The invitation was a very small part of the story but although not appreciative of the pastor's views the article spends far far too much space in voicing them.

As for the algorithm then it has to be a weird one given that I use Firefox for 2 email addresses which do not carry anything of consequence, a facebook group for people suffering with a potentially terminal illness, the CH Forum and my shares investments. I don't even read the news on Firefox. I see that today it is about the Krakatoa explosion heard 5 times around the world, Trump's prospects for reelection, men sleeping on comfy grass beds 200,000 years ago (I didn't realise mankind existed then and where did the women sleep? No, I didn't look for a M****m connection), how to remember people's names once and for all, Crab Rangoon (it might be a food recipe). Everything else is on different programs on a different system unconnected with Microsoft and Firefox.
I have to conclude that Firefox is dumping stuff of interest you yanks and f*** everyone else
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

I've used Firefox as my main browser for a number of years, and I've never looked at the 'recommended' articles, at least not until you mentioned it. There are 21 on offer, none of which are remotely controversial, unless you consider kombucha tea (whatever that is), VJ Day and Cajun seasoning controversial.

If you're not interested in a subject, ignore it.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

I don't know much about Black Lives Matter, but this may be of service to give a better Firefox experience:

https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-priv ... %20More%20
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I was recommended to use DuckDuckGo as a search engine.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Ajarn Philip wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:33 pm I've used Firefox as my main browser for a number of years, and I've never looked at the 'recommended' articles, at least not until you mentioned it. There are 21 on offer, none of which are remotely controversial, unless you consider kombucha tea (whatever that is), VJ Day and Cajun seasoning controversial.

Kombucha - Turkish. Fizzy tea - with an aftertaste of vinegar. Not for the faint hearted - or anyone with tastebuds...
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Pe.A wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 am
Ajarn Philip wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:33 pm I've used Firefox as my main browser for a number of years, and I've never looked at the 'recommended' articles, at least not until you mentioned it. There are 21 on offer, none of which are remotely controversial, unless you consider kombucha tea (whatever that is), VJ Day and Cajun seasoning controversial.

Kombucha - Turkish. Fizzy tea - with an aftertaste of vinegar. Not for the faint hearted - or anyone with tastebuds...
So what's wrong with vinegar? I drink it every morning. (The truth is that 15 years ago I caught an incurable bug causing slow deterioration of the upper body, eventually terminal. A year ago, for frequent periods and despite the daily medicines I had difficulty doing anything, even walking anywhere A year ago I heard about vinegar as part of an age old treatment which has pushed the illness back ten or more years)

You might not like the taste of vinegar, - I don't like the taste of yoghurt. Each to his/her own taste.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

sejintenej wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:40 pm
Pe.A wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 am

So what's wrong with vinegar? I drink it every morning. (The truth is that 15 years ago I caught an incurable bug causing slow deterioration of the upper body, eventually terminal. A year ago, for frequent periods and despite the daily medicines I had difficulty doing anything, even walking anywhere A year ago I heard about vinegar as part of an age old treatment which has pushed the illness back ten or more years)

You might not like the taste of vinegar, - I don't like the taste of yoghurt. Each to his/her own taste.
Sorry to hear that. But the difference is you're taking it medicinally. Kombucha is one to neck and avoid it touching the sides.