Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

This section was setup in August 2018 in order to move the existing related discussions from other sections into this new section to group them together, and separate from the other CH-related topics.

Moderator: Moderators

Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Re: Ben Breakwell convicted of abuse

Post by Pe.A »

Otter wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:07 pm Is he related to the former Peele matron with the same surname?
why, you dragging her into this one now...lol...?
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

Pe.A wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:29 pm
Otter wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:07 pm Is he related to the former Peele matron with the same surname?
why, you dragging her into this one now...lol...?
Not at all and apologies if it appears so. I knew and liked her. Hoping that this is not the case.

I have also wondered if Husband is related to the lovely matron of the same name who was there during the 90s and also involved in tennis coaching.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Otter wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:07 pm
I have also wondered if Husband is related to the lovely matron of the same name who was there during the 90s and also involved in tennis coaching.
I believe that was his first wife who stayed on at CH after they separated, I remember reading that on here around the time of his trial.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by robert totterdell »

I am not aware of any relationship between the matron concerned and Breakwell. Husbands first wife did work at the school. I believe she divorced him but not certain exactly when. His second wife was at his appeal, as was I, and it felt like she was there more for 'sympathy' than desire or support. It was an odd appeal procedure - the judges didn't seem that impressed with the reasons given.
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

robert totterdell wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:43 am I am not aware of any relationship between the matron concerned and Breakwell. Husbands first wife did work at the school. I believe she divorced him but not certain exactly when. His second wife was at his appeal, as was I, and it felt like she was there more for 'sympathy' than desire or support. It was an odd appeal procedure - the judges didn't seem that impressed with the reasons given.
What reasons did he give for his appeal
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

The appeal was based on 'double counting' by Judge Henson. It was overruled. The claim was that Henson had counted three items separately but they should have had a sentence just for one as they were concurrent. It was a technical exercise and the judges were not happy! His solicitor had a bit of a bashing. If you want notes please contact me privately - it was interesting!
Nel
2nd Former

Post by Nel »

Ben Breakwell was the son of the matron. He also had an older sister at CH who was in the same year as Husband's victim, and the same boarding house - in fact the victim and Ben's sister were friends though they have not kept in contact post CH. So regardless of Ben's personal experiences, he was well aware of what was going on at CH. Whether this had anything to do with his later offending or not is not a question that I can answer - as others have said, maybe something will come out via the sentencing.

Please be aware that Ben's family may be reading this, and they are complete innocents in all of this, just as Husband's family were.

Thank you to everyone on this message board for continuing to ask hard questions and debate these issues. You're not always as kind to each other as you could be, which is a shame as you're all on the same side really, but the fact that you all care about this issue so much is deeply reassuring. Thank you for not forgetting the abuse and the victims (including the families of the abusers).
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

Thanks for this. I was aware of his sister but had no information on his mother. I'll be at the sentencing and we will see what comes out. Many thanks again.
DazedandConfused
Deputy Grecian

Post by DazedandConfused »

Nel thanks for your post, you’re absolutely right about his family being completely innocent and I really feel for his sister in particular.

I will be interested to hear what is said at the sentencing Robert, if you are able to share.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

I will share the outcome and details and like you I feel so sorry for the family. This takes me back to the Martin trial where it became clear that the family knew nothing - I sat with his wife and it was extremely difficult. I think that at times we forget the consequences on others of the actions taken. When I told my brother about my abuse he went mad - it was awful and very stressful. Can I also say that for the victims of abuse the consequences of coming forward can be very 'uncomfortable'. You are made to feel 'dirty' and often blamed - even by your family!
LHA
Deputy Grecian

Post by LHA »

Media reports stated Breakwell’s sentencing was on 14 October. Does anyone know how long he got?
Article here
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-58072825
Nel
2nd Former

Post by Nel »

I'm 99% sure that he has not been sentenced yet. Either it has been delayed or the BBC got the dates wrong. Isleworth Crown Court, where his case was heard, publish their daily court schedule every day at 10am here: https://www.thelawpages.com/court-heari ... -Court.php
There is a way to search for future cases but as I am not a legal professional, I don't have the correct access to do this.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

The sentencing hearing was adjourned for around 6 weeks.

Probably a missing probation report.
robert totterdell
GE (Great Erasmus)

His sentencing has been adjourned to 30th November 2021 pending the availability of the Prosecution Barrister. He is on Remand.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Totterdell writes: "...like you I feel so sorry for the family. This takes me back to the Martin trial where it became clear that the family knew nothing... I think that at times we forget the consequences on others of the actions taken."

I completely endorse this. As an author I was approached some years ago to look into the disappearance of a local woman (let's call her Mrs A) in the 1960s, which had never been solved (and still hasn't). Mr A was charged with her murder some eight years later, but the judge ruled that there was no case to answer since the body had never been found, and A walked free. He has since died. In my research I met the policeman who had investigated the case, and who had maintained intermittent contact with A's son. The latter was just 3 when his mother disappeared. But although his mother, step-mother and father are all long since dead, the son lives in constant dread that the case will be resurrected by TV, papers or books, and the impact this will have on his wife and children.

When researching A's case I came across another example. Mr B, an incorrigible and unprincipled rogue, had divorced his first wife, leaving her and her two sons destitute. He then remarried and had two more children. The second Mrs B and both her children disappeared overnight, but it was only some years later, when new evidence came to light, that the police were able to charge the father (B) with their murder. Once again no bodies could be found, but to great surprise B was found guilty and sentenced to many years imprisonment. He has since died in prison (concerning which I have shed not a single tear). During my research I was contacted by the partner of B's son by his first marriage, who had recently died. She told me that although it was his second wife that B had murdered, and despite Mr B having changed his name, her partner had lived in a semi-permanent state of anxiety that the case would be resurrected, coupled with the fact that his father had murdered not only a woman, which is bad enough, but also his own two children, which is unspeakable.

To finish off this tragic story, there is no doubt that the families of both perpetrators' have been haunted on a virtually daily basis by these crimes. Mrs A's family still feel bitter as the disappearance of a much loved sister/aunt remains unsolved. Both crimes are, of course, in the public domain so there is nothing to stop anyone from researching them if they wish to do so. However, in my case I decided not to go ahead with the book for a variety of reasons, but the effect it might have had on totally innocent families was definitely one of them. So, although approaching this from a different angle I fully endorse Totterdell's views.

David :shock:
PS In researching these cases I had a quick look at the cases of other women who have disappeared (and continue to do so) and are never accounted for. The number is large and very sad.