New daily maths puzzle - give it a go and share?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

New daily maths puzzle - give it a go and share?

Post by jtaylor »

Following the popularity of Wordle, I’ve written a maths equivalent, which I’m keen to get feedback on!
It’s a bit different to the other maths ones out there, and can either be done in one go if you’re so inclined, or get some hints if you can’t get there on the first attempt.

Interested in honest (kind!) feedback if anyone fancies giving it a go??

www.mathday.net

Julian
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Foureyes
Grecian

Re: New daily maths puzzle - give it a go and share?

Post by Foureyes »

Julian,
Had a look. I don't understand the rules, let alone find the answers, but maths was NEVER my strong point. Sorry!
I have a nephew who is a brilliant mathematician so I will ask him what he thinks.
David
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

I tried it. Got an answer in one guess, but it took a while to figure out what the rules were. You did explain them clearly and simply, but I couldn't believe they were so simple. Then the lack of brackets bothered me - but eventually I realised that I didn't need brackets. Conclusion: it works fine, but it has not yet offered an interesting challenge.

Now, if you were to reformulate it to use Reverse Polish notation (which needs no brackets), that might be fun ... for antique geeks like me. Not for any normal person.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
JustRob
2nd Former

Post by JustRob »

eucsgmrc wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:06 am Now, if you were to reformulate it to use Reverse Polish notation (which needs no brackets), that might be fun ... for antique geeks like me. Not for any normal person.
Go Forth and multiply (and divide, add, subtract, swap etc) to reduce the average age of such geeks.
Lamb B 1956-63 now a Donation Governor
SandysJ
2nd Former

Post by SandysJ »

I'm not much of a mathematician. My O level sylabus at CH was School Mathematics Projects, looked down upon by higher sets who always said SMP (on the book covers) stood for SiMPle!
So when I was on an ONC Engineering course I struggled. What does the world need quadratic equations for? Whereas how to get your flock of chickens (a few at a time) and a fox to an island in 1 boat....practical!
However I have survived the rest of life on simple sums so was chuffed to solve your puzzle in one hit.....till I found 85% did it in one!
I shall have a few more goes and see if it hooks me.
LHB 70-73, THA 73-75
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Difficulty is very random - some days are refreshingly simple, others take some real thought!
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.