Ian Page

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Georged21
2nd Former

Ian Page

Post by Georged21 »

Does anyone remember Ian Page, a housemaster in the 1960s but also a goalkeeper for Horsham who played in arguably Horsham's most famous game, a First Round FA Cup home tie against Swindon Town?

http://www.horsham-fc.co.uk/2016/11/26/ ... 1661953682
Fitzsadou
LE (Little Erasmus)

Re: Ian Page

Post by Fitzsadou »

Sorry to disappoint you all, but I think that possibly Ian Page was not a master at CH. There was a John H Page there in the fifies, Perhaps another Page (Ian) joined the staff later. Anyhow some reminiscences of JH Page follow, in case they are of interest.

I certainly remember JH Page although I had very few dealings with him. He taught Geography in the New Science School, was Sen Housemaster of Th B and married lateish in life. (He gave me the only S+ I received at CH – this was in a school report and the usual entries in that column were S or NS, meaning Satisfactory or Not Satisfactory. [How was that column headed, “Effort?” Does any one remember and is the S/NS grading system still in use?])

I never knew about his soccer playing, but he was known to be a good tennis player (and Cambridge graduate) and this FA Cup soccer effort was after my time. JHP was a pleasant sort of fellow and an efficient and appreciated house master. His nicknames were Jack and strangely enough Crapsack. (Why the latter I don’t know. Good blokes like him didn’t have derogatory nicknames in those days. Do they today?)

Dear readers, please amplify these comments and as importantly do correct any errors, if you can? It was all a long time ago.
RobinKinloch
2nd Former

Post by RobinKinloch »

John Page was one of the three Geography Department teachers in the mid-1950s, under the excellent leadership of George Newberry. I know that he later became a housemaster. I recall that his obituary spoke of his prowess in Royal Tennis.
From his age alone, he could not have been the footballer Ian Page cited as a soccer player in a 1960s Horsham match.
I owe much to John Page as one of those, together with Denis Roberts and Michael Cherniavsky, who made my 1956 University entry possible.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Georged21 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:13 pm Does anyone remember Ian Page, a housemaster in the 1960s but also a goalkeeper for Horsham who played in arguably Horsham's most famous game, a First Round FA Cup home tie against Swindon Town?

http://www.horsham-fc.co.uk/2016/11/26/ ... 1661953682
This match took place in 1966 when I was at CH. There was no Ian Page teaching at Housie at any time between September 1965 and July 1972 as far as I recall although, as others have mentioned, Mr Page of Thornton B, Geography teaching and tennis coaching was present. I would estimate that he was even older than Stanley Matthews would have been at the time so highly unlikely to be mistaken for a goalkeeper in a decent standard non- league team.

Could Ian Page have taught at CH earlier in the sixties but left before September 1965?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72