SIR BARNES WALLIS

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Foureyes
Grecian

SIR BARNES WALLIS

Post by Foureyes »

A new book has just been published: "Dam Buster: Barnes Wallis: An Engineer's Life," by Richard Morris, Weidenfeld & Nicholson, London; £24.99.
I hope it does the great man justice and that it highlights both what CH did for him and what he did for CH.

My favourite BNW story concerns my late brother, Robin Miller, Mid B 49-54. Robin was walking back from the Sicker one afternoon in the early 'Fifties when he passed BNW walking in the opposite direction. Recognising the great man, Robin wished him a firm "Good afternoon, sir," "Stop," says BNW, reaching into his pocket and extracting his wallet. He took out a Ten Shilling Note (remember those?) and handed it over with the words "I was always short of money when I was at school."

David :shock:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: SIR BARNES WALLIS

Post by Katharine »

I think many of us have memories of him. I wrote about one of mine here https://www.chforum.info/php/viewtopic. ... is#p132241
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
seajayuu
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by seajayuu »

I re-read your Barnes Wallis memory Katharine. I remember those mirrors too. He came to Hertford and spoke about VTOL at the same assembly. He brought along models and was quite dismissive of Concord (I think it was under development at the time).
For some unknown reason he seemed to take an interest in our School Needlework and I was introduced a few times because of that.
He was a benign presence I always felt.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I had my mirror for years, never misted up! I also remember him speaking to us in the School Hall about VTOL

He knew my father, but I can’t remember exactly why, except my father was the sort of Old Blue who went out of his way to talk to other OBs.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965