Hertford uniform

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The school supplied ALL our clothes.

I think it was about 1969 when we were allowed to wear trousers after lunch on Saturday and after Evensong on Sunday. Around the same time we were 'offisially' allowed to use underarm deodorant.

At some stage the older girls Fourth form and above were allowd their own underwear and wash it and leave it in the airing room, but I don't remember when that was.

Katharine, certainly in 1965 in 2's we washed our hair weekly, on a Saturday, (whether it needed it or not :roll: ). That is one of my abiding memories of Barbara and her contemporary Liga, drying our hair in the airing room on a winter Saturday. Barbara had very thick dark brown hair and Liga had fluffy fair hair which she controlled all week in two plaits.

Amazing thing the memory.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Mary , my dear, you will never cease to amaze me... Liga left in the LV , to emigrate to Australia, which puts you in LIV. You may also remember that we were not allowed to use the hair dryer, and the only way those of use with lotsa hair could dry it was to fling our heads back and forth - I think I have permanent neck damage from those days...!
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Mary , my dear, you will never cease to amaze me... Liga left in the LV , to emigrate to Australia, which puts you in LIV. You may also remember that we were not allowed to use the hair dryer, and the only way those of use with lotsa hair could dry it was to fling our heads back and forth - I think I have permanent neck damage from those days...!
I remember, I remember.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Katharine, certainly in 1965 in 2's we washed our hair weekly, on a Saturday, (whether it needed it or not :roll: ). That is one of my abiding memories of Barbara and her contemporary Liga, drying our hair in the airing room on a winter Saturday. Barbara had very thick dark brown hair and Liga had fluffy fair hair which she controlled all week in two plaits.
I can't say whether it stayed fortnightly for the whole time I was in 6s, but it was definitely that when I was a junior. How did you cope with everyone in the drying room? I'm sure that was Miss Jenkins' reason for keeping it fortnightly. My plaits were cut off before I went as my mother didn't think I would cope.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

Amazing... we mention female underwear, and no matter how huge and ugly those 'bloomers' were, all the males are drawn to this thread like moths to a candle! LOL

Just to clarify things boys, 'linings' were huge white bloomers, worn underneath an outer pair of even huger dark blue bloomers known as 'blues'. These 'blues' served the purpose of allowing a full range of movement during PE whilst making any observation of the female form totally impossible from waist to mid-thigh!

On the topic of hair-washing, it sounds unbelievable to modern ears that we only washed it once a week (or once a fortnight in some houses apparently), but a strange fact is that hair needs washing just about as often as it is regularly washed. When washed daily, hair produces enough oil to need daily washing, whereas when washed weekly, it produces far less oil and only needs to be washed weekly. (This is assuming the absence of other factors such as smokey or dirty environments).

The whole issue of daily hair-washing with shampoo (which 'cleans' the hair of its natural oil and thus sends oil production into overdrive) is a sad result of clever marketing by shampoo companies who want us to buy as much 'product' as possible.

I haven't tried it myself, but I have heard of people who never use shampoo but simply wash their hair with fresh water. Apparently, after about 6 weeks of readjustment, their hair settles down to being soft and glossy and sleek, just like the natural glossy fur of any healthy animal.

I have wondered about testing this, but never been brave enough to survive the initial 6 weeks... ugh!

Gaye Linskill 4.24
1965 - 1970
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Apparently the Gallagher brothers (members of a light music band called Oasis M'lud) don't use shampoo,and I have a friend who is a ladies hairdresser and he doesn't either.

My son didn't wash his hair for 6 months last year and it didn't look too bad after the first month.
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

Did either of them have longer hair that would have looked bad if it was 'greasy'? Or were they 'crew-cuts' that wouldn't show much difference clean or oily?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

sort of 'Beatle' length isn't it?

And my son has long hair which he wears ina ponytail. He washes it now.

He got in the shower one day and just put shampoo on it.
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

No doubt this was the week AFTER you finally gave up nagging him to use some shampoo? :roll:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

WildOne wrote:No doubt this was the week AFTER you finally gave up nagging him to use some shampoo? :roll:
I don't think so, I think he did it accidentally. And I don't nag. I even cut his hair for him so it looks good. He's bigger than I am now.
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

Just kidding ;)

I was joking about 'normal' teenage behaviour, and their aptitude for doing exactly the opposite of whatever Mum wants them to do!
(But, of course, I have no idea if that applies / ever applied to your son.)

It sounds like you save him a fortune at the hairdresser :)

Gaye
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I cut everyone's hair.

Hubby is nearly bald so he gets a No 2.

Daughter has a bob so she is easy, as do I so son cuts mine.

YOunger son is the only one who is done professionally.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

WildOne wrote:Amazing... we mention female underwear, and no matter how huge and ugly those 'bloomers' were, all the males are drawn to this thread like moths to a candle! LOL

Just to clarify things boys, 'linings' were huge white bloomers, worn underneath an outer pair of even huger dark blue bloomers known as 'blues'. These 'blues' served the purpose of allowing a full range of movement during PE whilst making any observation of the female form totally impossible from waist to mid-thigh!
Not really so amazing, after all. There is a certain mystique about these things. Were it not that we are genetically disposed to uncovering hidden treasures, there would be no fairy tales about gold at the end of the rainbow or indeed anything much in the way of procreative activity; thus would man's evolutionary progress be thwarted (and no children to read fairy tales about hidden treasure to either, come to that). Surely you have not been unaware of the male's thirst for knowledge, especially when it comes to journeying to uncharted lands?

We need to know!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

hehe... well, those enormous baggy bloomers were certainly uncharted territory as far as the opposite gender was concerned!

There is even a pic of them on here, though not as baggy as most of them... See the 3rd pic in the Hertford Photos thread, started by 'Friend of Alex's'.

The human race would heve died out rapidly if all females had to wear those things, don't you think??? They were more effective than chastity belts, I imagine.

Gaye
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

WildOne wrote:hehe... well, those enormous baggy bloomers were certainly uncharted territory as far as the opposite gender was concerned!

There is even a pic of them on here, though not as baggy as most of them... See the 3rd pic in the Hertford Photos thread, started by 'Friend of Alex's'.

The human race would heve died out rapidly if all females had to wear those things, don't you think??? They were more effective than chastity belts, I imagine.

Gaye
The leg elastic certainly cut off the circulation of anyone with a BMI over 20.

I think at some stage a sleeker version came in, but certainly the ones of (awful) memory that we used for polishing doorknobs would have done Mrs Bloomer proud.