Marmite and other great debates

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Is Marmite:-

Mana from Heaven
83%
Final proof of the existance of Satan
17%

Total votes: 18

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Faulkner family dinner conversation.

Spinach 4 yes 1 no
Broccoli 5 yes
Sprouts 4 yes 1 no
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

I owe my entire existance to Marmite, yes its true. When my great grandad was in a Jap POW camp during WW2, he caught Berri berri (sp?) very early on when Red Cross packages still were getting through. He was given a jar of Marmite and told to eat the whole thing due to its high vitamin content etc. He did and he survived unlike many others who caught the disease. So they you go I am here today thanks to marmite.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Laura M wrote:I owe my entire existance to Marmite, yes its true. When my great grandad was in a Jap POW camp during WW2, he caught Berri berri (sp?) very early on when Red Cross packages still were getting through. He was given a jar of Marmite and told to eat the whole thing due to its high vitamin content etc. He did and he survived unlike many others who caught the disease. So they you go I am here today thanks to marmite.
I found this, I thought you might be interested.
Beriberi is a deficiency diease of thiamine, one of the B vitamins. Marmiteis indeed chock full of it. Looks like your great grandfather (and by extension you) are very lucky to be here.

http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/medical_beriberi.html
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Cool, that is interesting now I actually know what beri beri is and how to spell it. (I had often wondered what it was exactly)
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Laura M wrote:Cool, that is interesting now I actually know what beri beri is and how to spell it. (I had often wondered what it was exactly)
Not as well known as scurvy in the West becasue until recently bread was always made with the whole grain.

Just checked my Marmite pot (i had it on toast for breakfast) and 100g contains 500% RDA of thiamine. The smallest pot contains 120g so I suppose about 1g per serving.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Just checked my Marmite pot (I had it on toast for breakfast) and 100g contains 500% RDA of thiamine. The smallest pot contains 120g so I suppose about 1g per serving.
What is a serving of Marmite? I have often wondered when reading labels of that and other things.
Have you tried it under scrambled eggs yet, Mary?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not yet.

I don't eat a lot of eggs. Mainly becasue there are never any left as they are something the young Faulkners eat a lot of, easy for them to cook.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I bet his mouth must have been on fire for eating a whole jar of marmite!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Not all at once, surely , Laura??!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

I believe so, he definatly didn't have anything to go with it, he mentions how he was handed a jar and a spoon by a friend of his.
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

Laura M wrote:I believe so, he definatly didn't have anything to go with it, he mentions how he was handed a jar and a spoon by a friend of his.
You wouldn't happen to know what camps he was in do you? My grandfather was a Jap POW doctor and spent a long time trying to keep the troops alive - it's possible that he dispensed the 'medicine'!

If you're interested, CH sold copies of his book - Prisoner Doctor.

I know he and a POW botanist, also devised a system of making yeast from rice, to supplement B vitamin deficiency.
Thornton 85-92
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Not off the top of my head, I can find out though.
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04