Old Holborn versus Golden Virginia Red Green or Blue Rizlas

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Great Plum wrote:
Hendrik wrote:
ben ashton wrote:have you quit smoking? or just tobacco? :wink:
how well you know me... :wink:

i quit because my girlfriend doesn't smoke and i don't want to taste like an ashtray.
Nothing more disgusting than snogging an ashtray...
I'll take yer word for it, young Plum !

Personally - I've never tried it. Always found women more fun !! :roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

dogger wrote:What about the boyfriend though......?
just a snog really. and he smoked, that's how i got to know him.

damn i want a cigarette..........
:cry:
malteaser
2nd Former

Post by malteaser »

green rizzla n drum all the way.
i have tried GV n hated it. gold drum is pretty skank too.
swirl
3rd Former

baccy

Post by swirl »

green/blue rizzla, (no preference really, just no red - file paper) and GV. old holorn doesn't exist at CH anymore, i dnt know of one person who smokes it. i'm afraid it's just Gv or sometimes drum for a few, or even some green substance!!!!! : )
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Was given a box of Sobranie 'Cocktail' as a birthday present on my GE, I think (the last ever thoughtful present from my dear brother!). Just beautiful. Presented in a large flat box, with a flip-up lid, were (about) 10-12 gold-tipped, coloured cigarettes. Pink, green, purple, ochre-yellow, blue (something else?). You could match what you smoked to the colour of your underwear - stylish! I think they do Black Russians (black and gold). Shame to burn them really. Then took to Consulate for the next 10 years. Am now a wizened, very anti, ex-smoker. Maybe just one last Sobranie (purple ...)
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

That takes me back some 30 years to East Gun Copse where I first saw a black russian (the cigarette) - and then we found Sobranie Cocktails - all very pretty and good fun at first - but then remembered we were blokes - so really had to go back to Old Holborn.....
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Rory wrote:That takes me back some 30 years to East Gun Copse where I first saw a black russian (the cigarette) - and then we found Sobranie Cocktails - all very pretty and good fun at first - but then remembered we were blokes - so really had to go back to Old Holborn.....
Well, we wouldn't have wanted to get caught with them, either. FAR too expensive to be confiscated (and a bit camp, obviously).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Speaking of absurd cigarettes: Remember those idiotic 'More' cigarettes that were about six inches long?

How stupid did people look smoking them? 'Twas like smoking a brown drinking straw (and they tasted awful). But I'm sure we all thought they were extremely adult and sophisticated (like Watney's Party Four).

(Oi Mr Ruck: was Bingo's tale about your genitalia true at viewtopic.php?t=1243&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ?) Your public have a right to know. Don't be shy about it - we were all young (and imbecilic) once. Why, I distinctly remember burning pigment-blobs off my arms with a magnifying-glass in summer. I still have the scars, which never get any smaller. A bright idea? Seemed like it at the time.....)
Last edited by Spoonbill on Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rory
Deputy Grecian

Post by Rory »

Well well.... I never heard about that rather strange and potentially libellous allegation - but according to Mr Spoonbill, RR, I can confirm, is also guilty of smoking those "ridiculous 6 inch long More cigarettes"...
Does this forum know no limits???
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Spoonbill wrote: (Oi Mr Ruck: was Bingo's tale about your genitalia true at viewtopic.php?t=1243&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 ?) Your public have a right to know. Don't be shy about it - we were all young and (imbecilic) once.
Sorry, it's a good story but no, not true in my case. Perhaps someone else tried it and Bingo's memory is playing tricks after all these years.

As for 'More', well, a few of us did smoke them for a while, but as they were rolled so tightly you could get a sore throat just trying to get a drag out of one.

Roll-ups with liquorice papers were much easier (and cheaper).
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

" More" are still , unbelievably, sold in Spain - my tobacconist keeps trying to flog them to me when he runs out of Superkings.... as you say, like trying to smoke a straw....but they must have some fans somewhere.... probably the pseuds who haunt the Rambla cafés trying to impress the tourists !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog »

Richard Ruck wrote:Sorry, it's a good story but no, not true in my case. Perhaps someone else tried it and Bingo's memory is playing tricks after all these years.
Bingo memory no play trick. Bingo memory top-hole.

Simon Stock speak with forked tongue, lie to Bingo.

But Bingo bets RR did lots of similarly fruity things all the same.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Bingo the Poop-Eating Dog wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Sorry, it's a good story but no, not true in my case. Perhaps someone else tried it and Bingo's memory is playing tricks after all these years.
Bingo memory no play trick. Bingo memory top-hole.

Simon Stock speak with forked tongue, lie to Bingo.

But Bingo bets RR did lots of similarly fruity things all the same.
... the mind boggles, and indeed does a backward sommersault with twist.... Looks like the game's up, RR !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
swirl
3rd Former

Post by swirl »

mmmmmmm, file paper and pritt stick
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

now that is desperate! and probably not true....

what is utter brilliance though is that the tuck shop, for a short time, sold chocolate cigarettes. these were wrapped in a paper which you had to remove before eating which -you guessed it- was almost identical to rizla. even the gum which was used on them could be re-stuck with a little saliva.

so in short, the school were supplying us with a damn good rizla substitute for when times were short.

does anyone else remember this?