This year's exam answers.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

This year's exam answers.

Post by englishangel »

My brother-in-law marks Chemistry GCSE papers.

Q. How do you test for carbon dioxide?

A. Put a lot of people in a room and flood it with the gas. If they die it is carbon dioxide.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

His wife marks English SATS papers and says that the person who writes the questions obviously doesn't answer them.

It palls a little when she is reading the 60th description of a school hall after the essay title was 'Describe the room you are in'.

She said she doesn't mind when the title is 'Describe your Grandmother'.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

My students have assignments to give in at this time of year.

Sometimes it takes me longer to mark them than it probably took for them to complete them.

We often have to return them for reworking, which means not just marking right or wrong, but providing feedback to enable the student to make progress.

A lot of lazy students think they can give me paste and copied pages from the internet... they sometimes don't bother to read what they have pasted they have just read the heading... this means they leave links and adverts in!!!
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

plagiarism is a big problem with the internet cut and pasting that goes on. there's currently a conference going on - the JISC Plagiarism Advisory Service's plagiarism conference at The Sage, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear.

bit dull, but I have to know this for my job. yawn!

universities are trying to embed plagiarism detecting software into practice, I guess it could spread to schools too.
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

My SO marks maths papers and some of the (I.T. GCSE, I might add) answers are hilarious!

I used to work for one of the exams boards (not Edexel, thank goodness) and it was a fascinating insight into the workings of the exams and coursework processes.
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Thank God I'm approaching sixty. After I took a Government 'exam' a few years ago, I swore I was old enough and long enough in the tooth, NEVER to take another exam.

Incidently, I well remember in my 'O' Level English Language exam, one question requiring a written composition was

"The King is Dead.......!"

I distinctly remember thinking immediately I ought to just write....

"Thank F'ck for that !"

Maybe this explains some of my tongue-in-cheek responses on here !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
marty
Grecian

Post by marty »

plagiarism is a big problem with the internet cut and pasting that goes on. there's currently a conference going on - the JISC Plagiarism Advisory Service's plagiarism conference at The Sage, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear.

bit dull, but I have to know this for my job. yawn!

universities are trying to embed plagiarism detecting software into practice, I guess it could spread to schools too
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Yes, plagiarism is a big problem with the internet cut and pasting that goes on. At least a few students do attempt to edit and read the material that they copy and sometimes you can't see the join.

Apparently there's currently a conference going on - the JISC Plagiarism Advisory Service's plagiarism conference at The Sage, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. I think it sounds bit dull, but I ought to have gone for my job.

Maybe universities should try to embed plagiarism detecting software into practice and then it might spread to schools and colleges.
Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Mark1 »

hmmm...
:roll:
I think I know how those of you who mark exam papers feel...
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Et le problème ne se limité pas aux seuls pays anglophones - le plagiat est un problème important dans tous les mileux où le coupé-collé depuis internet est devenue la pratique de remplissage. Il est vrai que certains étudiants font l'effort de déguiser l'origine du texte importé, ce qui les oblige au moins à le lire et, on l'espère , ingérer une partie.
La situation a suscité la tenue d'un sommet sur le sujet - le JISC Plagiarism Advisory Service sur le plagiat, qui se tient dans le local The Sage, Gateshead, Tyne and Wear. Certainement pas un sujet des plus passionants, mais sans doute rélevant pour beaucoup d'entre nous.

Afin de valider les études futures, peutêtre serait souhaitable que les universités et autres centres d'examen emploient des logiciels capables de détecter le plagiat, pour protéger et stimuler la pensée originelle.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
eloisec
Deputy Grecian

Post by eloisec »

:axe:
Eloise Carpenter
Col.A 87-94
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Sim, combino. Por enquanto a escola onde estarei ensinando limitou o acesso à Internet e os sujeitos são pela maior parte testados por exames antiquados e não por nomeações ou trabalho do curso.
hoob
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by hoob »

And the problem limited not to the only anglophone countries - plagiarism is an important problem in all the mileux ones where half-compartment-stuck since Internet became the practice of filling. It is true that certain students make the effort disguise the origin of the imported text, which at least obliges them to read it and, one hopes for it, to introduce a part. The situation caused the behaviour of a top on the subject - the JISC Plagiarism Advisory Service on the plagiarism, which is held in the room The Sage, Gateshead, the Tyne and Wear. Certainly not a subject of the more passionants, but undoubtedly rélevant for much among us. In order to validate the future studies, peutêtre would be desirable that the universities and other centers of examination employ software able to detect plagiarism, to protect and stimulate the original thought.
Mike
Mab/MaA 1981 - 1988
Why is there so much month left at the end of my money?
hoob
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by hoob »

Yes, I combine. For the time being the school where I will be teaching limited the access to the InterNet and the citizens mostly are tested by obsolete examinations and not for nominations or work of the course
Mike
Mab/MaA 1981 - 1988
Why is there so much month left at the end of my money?
Tim_MaA_MidB
Deputy Grecian

Post by Tim_MaA_MidB »

Online translators are less than perfect!