Water conservation....an idea which holds water?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:To get a water meter ................

the water company can just put one in without any consultation.

If they do put one in keep an eye on it yourself as in the 4 months I have been a lettings manager we have had two which have leaked and the poor tenants have had ENORMOUS water bills.
Just had a letter from my water company; in view of the risks of losing water during the summer they are giving customers free insurance for the summer - 24/7 call out, free repairs etc. for any leaks etc. on customers' side of the meter (which is usually the customers' responsibility) with repairs guaranteed one year. This includes leaking taps, equipment - the lot and all for free! Engineers to arrive within (from memory) 2 hours of callout. I'll have to have a search round ................

Given what is not happpening in Britain this seems a good idea - we are used to being careful with water (which is already metered).
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

I'd love a water meter. In spite of everything to do with conserving water, I live on my own and I'm not in much, so in one week I use about 1 washing machine load, 4 showers, 1 bath, 10 toilet flushes, oh and I wash up about twice! So I'm sure I'd be richer. My water company now tell me everyone is going to have a meter, which I'm quite happy about, except they haven't been able to tell me when. So it seems pointless to request one if it's on it's way...

Free insurance for leaks on the property side seem a bit stupid when they are able to lose millions of ?gallons every day all by themselves. You think they'd sort out there own sh1t before anything else...?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Well our water Authority has been badgering us to take out insurance with them against leaks, bursts damamge etc from the meter (about 150 yds down our private drive) to the house - err - no - that's what the house insurance is for - it covers water leaks I think - and this is Severen Trents way of clawing back even more money!

The only way our meter or our pipes are going to get damaged is if they start working on them, or some idiot form the gas/electric/cable/phone company start digging at he end of the road! (they did leave a huge hole big enough for my ford Focus to fall into over a weekend - and yes I had a blast at them as they couldn't be bothered to cover it, so self and a few neighbours did - mind you it also gets used as a parking spot for the meter maid so I use china graph pencil on her/his windows and state this is not a parking place, a turning place it is a private road to which access is only for those who have paid £zillions.. mind you I could claim on the insurance I lay down on access to the main road via our little private road (made up of holes, bits of pottery, cement ,weeds and rubble!!) at the time it seemed a massive amount - now It may not be enough!

Oh well, no need to water the garden tonight as last night and this morning took care of that - still need to sort out the gutters - perhaps I will add that to the list of help wanted!!

:!: :!:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I can't remember if I mentioned we had a leak in our road last year
which took 10 weeks and 5 attempts to repair.

It has come back. Last week we had a tiny little damp patch on the edge of the pavement, this week it is running down the road.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

englishangel wrote:I can't remember if I mentioned we had a leak in our road last year

It has come back. Last week we had a tiny little damp patch on the edge of the pavement, this week it is running down the road.
and of course everyone`s out there with their buckets??

:D
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

englishangel wrote:I can't remember if I mentioned we had a leak in our road last year

we had that last August - they repaired it quick enough, came back a week later to check and opened it up again.

Nice little river running down the hill - but they came within 3 hours of my phone call in May. Now totally dry.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mrs C. wrote:

and of course everyone`s out there with their buckets??

:D
Watering cans
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

So far - touch wood - we haven't had any leaks here - only the odd power cut by some idiot who didn't read the data sheet properly and dug right through the MASSIVE cable - it's only armour plated as well!! SO now we have what looks like a bomb with all the electrics in about 1 metre down - I think it's supposed to be more - but anyone trying to hit on the new thing is likely to get a shock (in more than one way!!!)

Thinking about more water holding devices - butt only takes 190 litres - not enough...... need specially shaped ones for the front and an extra "shaped" one for the back one that fits into corners - ie quarter of a pie in 3dm.....

any one seen such things?????
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i am sure there's a moneyspinner in there somewhere for you...

we could do with one of those right-angled ones
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

If I design one and get on the design show will you all vote for me then???
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Someone in Oz designed plastic fencing which doubled as water storage tanks. My concern was how hot the water would get inside the plastic units - visions of boiled plants.

I know of no-one who installed the fencing, and have seen no advertising for it, so guess the idea failed.

We're in the midst of our warm, wet, westerly winds, so tanks are overflowing, but come September they will start to empty with a vengeance: so frustrating.

Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We have had the 'right' sort of rain overnight, the gentle english summer sort, not the torrential stuff we had last week. Still grey, overcast and drizzly, my lawn is greening visibly.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:We have had the 'right' sort of rain overnight, the gentle english summer sort, not the torrential stuff we had last week. Still grey, overcast and drizzly, my lawn is greening visibly.
How green is your Valley ?

(don't mention the bush !)

Very windy as well as wet here today. Rain coming in sideways.

Thank God the weather held for The Retreat yesterday.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It's lovely now, breezy and sunny.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:It's lovely now, breezy and sunny.
Same here now, but the forecast for tomorrow is pretty grim. Extremely windy, so I assume Vindaloo sales are going through the roof this evening.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.