If you could

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

But as Sean points out, we did not have the girls, J.R.

I believe this would not only have further improved my experience of C.H., but the following years, which were NOT good for me (having won my university place I was thrust out while still metaphorically in nappies despite my pleas to Flecker to let me stay for another year), might have vastly improved my ability to deal with the opposite sex and life in general. As it was, what followed CH was a disaster.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I know exactly what you mean, David.

My knowledge of the fairer sex was limited to theory only when leaving Horsham. The practical was non-existant !

However, making up for lost time still ranks as some of my best memories !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

blondie95 wrote:oh Mr P did you make mistakes-chance to get some dirt on you now???? What did you do?
The 11th commandment is good to follow...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I had brothers, and my best friend from primary school stuck with me so I always went out when home for the holidays. I did go a bit bonkers at Uni as I was at an engineering Uni with 7 men to each woman and the women I DID know all lived at home, but I do think single sex education is a bit unnatural. we have three local grammars, one boys, one girls and a mixed, but the boys/girls do get togehter for drama, music, orchestra etc.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:I had brothers, and my best friend from primary school stuck with me so I always went out when home for the holidays. I did go a bit bonkers at Uni as I was at an engineering Uni with 7 men to each woman and the women I DID know all lived at home, but I do think single sex education is a bit unnatural. we have three local grammars, one boys, one girls and a mixed, but the boys/girls do get togehter for drama, music, orchestra etc.
AND ???????????????
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

I loved my time at CH on the whole. Even the bad bits (usually when I was in trouble) don't colour my feelings. If I had my time again I would want to take the work a little more seriously but still do all the other exciting things.

I think it is great the way CH has moved with the times and it is, as it always has been, a great honour to be a pupil there. It will be very interesting to see how things develop and change further over the next few years. A new headmaster and a new governing body next year will almost certainly mean another leap forward.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I would never want to return to Hertford. Not even sure about visiting the place now, it has absolutely no hold on me. Returning to Horsham is a bit of a mixed bag. It's only in the last year or so that I feel disposed to think positively towards some aspects of the place. My parents feel a great sense of responsibility for sending my brother and I somewhere that had saw devastating events unfold in our lives and suffering the repercussions of that, but as Euterpe says, who's to say that the resulting psychological/emotional mess wouldn't have occurred but with another trigger. I'm not sure that boarding suited me from the age of 11 - at the moment I feel that I wouldn't want to send my children away at that age - but I don't know how I might have fared at the local comp or any other establishment. For me, it's not a question of the quality of the education, the opportunity of accessing the wonderful resources or the sense of historical tradition that CH affords which were high, boundless and unique, but the implementation of pastoral care for those who needed it, but didn't know or couldn't ask. So (as I feel now) I have to say that whether I would do things differently now or not is irrelevant as it has led me to a place where I am content to be.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:Never, never, never, well not to Hertford anyway.

Like Sean I wouldn't mind giving a co-ed Horsham a go.

Hi Mary

Your post really surprised me, as I haven't read any posts from you knocking the place, and I had the feeling that you were happy there.

Apologies for my lack of empathy. :)
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

Mary said something that made me think of a follow on to the original question in this thread. My second question would be, how did your friends at home react to you going away to boarding school?

When I left North London to go to Horsham, I lost every friend I had back home. They all treated me like I was some sort of lepper or other. I still don't regret it for a minute and would do it all over again in a flash.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'd only been back from being evacuated for 2 terms when I went to CH, so I'd only made one real friend. My real problem was getting to know my parents again. I don't think I ever succeeded in that.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

I never had any friends in the places we lived as I had always gone to school outside the catchment area from the age of 4. It was never an issue as friends would come over and vice versa. It only became noticeable when we moved to Sussex, and that coincided with the merger. All those of our age in our village went to the Weald comprehensive in Billingshurst, so we stood out like a sore thumb. I once went out for a bike ride with my brother and these kids formed a barricade across the road and tried to run us down. A sort of 'welcome to the neighbourhood' gesture.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

I am begining to feel really guilty for starting this topic because it would appear I have exposed some painful memories. That was certainly never my intent
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I had lived around Horsham all my life so I did keep in contact with a few of my friends...

there was of course the fun between hte town kids and the 'penguins'...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Scone Lover wrote:I am begining to feel really guilty for starting this topic because it would appear I have exposed some painful memories. That was certainly never my intent
I wouldn't feel guilty. Bad memories are there somewhere regardless of whether they are discussed.

In fact, arguably, it is good you have raised the topic as people can see that they were not the only ones to feel as they did and maybe feel better about things because of that.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Scone Lover wrote:Mary said something that made me think of a follow on to the original question in this thread. My second question would be, how did your friends at home react to you going away to boarding school?

When I left North London to go to Horsham, I lost every friend I had back home. They all treated me like I was some sort of lepper or other. I still don't regret it for a minute and would do it all over again in a flash.
I was lucky in that I kept those I regarded as my real "friends" and remain in touch to this day.

However I encountered hostility from "aquaintances" (and their parents in some cases) who were not hostile prior to me going to "that posh school in Sussex where they wear dresses."
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72