Confessions Of A CH Pupil

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I think this is a picture of Pongo Littlefield as I remember him circa 1950. I've no idea who the VIP is conducting the inspection though.

Pongo Littlefield headed up the RAF section of the CCF, but he was also Deputy Hall Warden to Noel "Sam" Sargent, a Frenchman who saw out the war years as housemaster of Peele A.

David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

I seem to remember Mr Lorrimer also being known as Osram.

It had something to do with the receeding hair line and the beard he had grown making him look as if he would look the same which ever way his head was set.
richardb
Forum Moderator

Post by richardb »

Ruthie-Baby wrote:Pinky was the nickname of a teacher who had been there years but left in the mid-90s, just can't remember his name. Think he taught in the prep block in my day.
"Pinky" Palmer ?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Scone Lover wrote:I seem to remember Mr Lorrimer also being known as Osram.

It had something to do with the receeding hair line and the beard he had grown making him look as if he would look the same which ever way his head was set.
Correct. He was also known as Osram although "Nog" was the more generally used nickname.

My understanding of the reasoning behind Osram (who were (?are) light bulb manufacturers) was that the light used to reflect off of his head making it look like a light bulb!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
BTaylor
Deputy Grecian

Post by BTaylor »

richardb wrote:
Ruthie-Baby wrote:Pinky was the nickname of a teacher who had been there years but left in the mid-90s, just can't remember his name. Think he taught in the prep block in my day.
"Pinky" Palmer ?
'Pinky' Wright I would suggest

'Hemel' Hempstead and 'Hammer' Alexander also come to mind.
Thornton 85-92
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Scone Lover wrote:I sabotaged Mr Fry's gavel so that when he called for grace, it flew off and smacked a passing kitchen worker on the head. Ooops. Sorry Mr Fry but you really didn't have much of a sense of humour
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
He obviously found the offending missile as he was waving it around when I was there. I had him for Biology and he was lovely. Does the moniker "Killer" stem from his time in the Marines/Paras?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

BTaylor wrote:
richardb wrote:
"Pinky" Palmer ?
'Pinky' Wright I would suggest

'Hemel' Hempstead and 'Hammer' Alexander also come to mind.
Yes, "Pinky" Wright, that's the one. Lovely bloke, taught me on my squits but don't remember which subject.
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
JamesF35
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by JamesF35 »

Most definitely "Pinky" Palmer in our day. I think it came from the fact that he had blonde hair and was perceived as being slightly effeminate. He was married however and I don't think he was particularly camp so it was probably a bit unfair - but then, in those days, simply having blonde hair was enough to be thought of as a poof !

I think he was a MidB house tutor (despite living in the MidA flat) so Mr. Ruck would probably be able to provide full details.

By the way, do those flats at the back of the houses, next to the quiet room, still exist ? Does the quiet room even still exist ?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Pinky used to coach the 3rd XV, and generally wore a tracksuit which had pink stripes running down it. This may have been the origin of the nickname.

I remember him living in the Mid.A flat - whether or not he was married at the time I'm not sure. He did usually have a female companion living with him, always referred to as "Mrs. Palmer" but I don't think it was always the same person..........
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

Pinky Palmer married? I am pretty sure he wasn't up to 1978. Didn't he make sure the younger deputy house matrons were happy at the school. I just wish I could remember who was our other deputy house master / tutor. Richard thinks it might be Mr Stratten but I would love to get the definitive answer.

What do you think of "Yes" Sir?
"No"

That was a typical pinky convo.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Scone Lover wrote:Pinky Palmer married? I am pretty sure he wasn't up to 1978. Didn't he make sure the younger deputy house matrons were happy at the school. I just wish I could remember who was our other deputy house master / tutor. Richard thinks it might be Mr Stratten but I would love to get the definitive answer.

What do you think of "Yes" Sir?
"No"

That was a typical pinky convo.
Keith Stratton was a house tutor at some point, as was Ratty James.

In my last term (Michaelmas 1978) the housemaster was Nick Jones and the tutors were Mike Williams and Bill Avenell - a very young team at the time.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Mike Williams was in charge of Mid A by the time of the merger, and Bill Avenell and his wife took over Col B when the girls arrived.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

Okay Richard, this is driving me nuts..........
What happened to Ubi? I leave the school and he is our housemaster, then the next year he isn't anymore!
And what the hell was my arch nemesis Mr Plumley doing at Mid B ?????
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

Good god, Ratty James, I had forgotten all about him. A very strange man, I got on with him well outside the class room. In it, he turned into Attila the Hun
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Scone Lover wrote:Pinky Palmer married? I am pretty sure he wasn't up to 1978.
Pinky Palmer taught me English in the GE in 77 / 78; I've got a feeling he went through a rather painful divorce soon after so he must have got married before then. I'm not sure I ever had much in common with him but he was an outstanding teacher.