Roger Martin

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

I knew Roger Martin

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 45

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Roger Martin

Post by DavebytheSea »

There are various references to Roger Martin throughout this forum. He was a pupil at CH when I was there and subsequently served on the staff for two discrete spells.

Roger has come to my mind again recently on three counts:

1. I have written about him while reviewing Francis Warner's Book By the Cam and the Isis in the Old Blue and in the forthcoming edition of the Blue
2. I just happened to be watching the old ITV Remembrance Day service from the 1970s in which he declaimed FWW poetry with great gusto and
3. YESTERDAY HE REGISTERED ON THIS FORUM!!!

Roger must be unique in coming to live at the school on three separate occasions; he will have a sharp insight into the changes that he observed over that period. Coming afresh on each occasion undoubtedly must have reinforced his impressions of CH which will have been different on each and every occasion.

I do hope he finds time to post some of these recollections here for us to enjoy and for future generations to marvel at. Meanwhile, how about those who remember him (and we are many) posting our recollections of him, perhaps with pictures if we have any.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I was taught by Roger Martin certainly as a third former and possibly second form or LE too (Latin and Divinity if memory serves me right) and found him to be an excellent teacher. I actually enjoyed Latin when Roger taught it, sadly that was not the case subsequently and I ended up only gaining an "O" level in General Classics the "poor man's" Classics option.

When I was there Roger was a junior housemaster in Barnes A with Bob Sillett under "Pongo" Littlefield. He left round about the time I was in the LE or GE to teach at a school in Kenya, Starahe (?spelling).

Very nice bloke and definitely one of the positives from CH as far as I was concerned.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

The name doesn't ring a bell.

What were his years teaching ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Ba B 47-55, Staff 63-68 and 72-96
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Confusingly there are two Roger Martins.
The other one lives in Chepstow, worked (I think) for BP but retired early on a huge package and is interested in promoting the use of LPG in racing cars. He's an amateur musician, has his own choir - and is singing the solo at the Carol Concert next month.
I don't have Who's Blue with me at the moment otherwise I could give you his House and dates - but I would guess he's aged early/mid 60's. When he was at Housey his parents ran a garage in Bognor Regis, if that rings any bells with anyone? He must have been roughly contemporaneous with John Snow, because he once went out with one of John's sisters (that family also lived in Bognor).
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I was a contemporary of both Roger Martin and John Snow! I have checked the 2003 Directory of Old Blues and there is only one Roger Martin listed.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Discovered this thread in the "Looking For" section

viewtopic.php?t=130
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I wish we could merge them.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Is the Roger Martin in the 2003 Directory the Roger Martin in Chepstow, or the Roger Martin who came back as a teacher? I suspect the latter.....but maybe I am wrong.
Were they both in the school at the same time? That must have been confusing!
The Chepstow Roger Martin is definitely in Who's Blue 1997.
Kerren Simmonds
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Well, Kerren, you have made me dig out my 1997 edition and, of course, you are right! Ther are TWO Roger Martins! To make matters even more confusing, the overlapped each other at CH; the Chepstow version was in La A 52-56 and the Archbishop (whom I murdered) Ba B 47-55 (the same dates as DBTS).
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Now which Roger Martin registered on the forum, I wonder .........
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

He hasn't filled in any information! If he had we might have been able to work it out...
(or maybe the new member of the Forum is neither of the two Roger Martins that we have been discussing.....)
Kerren Simmonds
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

JDS (who posts on here occasionally) may still be in touch with him. He may have encouraged Roger to drop in and have a look.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'm very much in touch with the 'other' Roger Martin (the Chepstow one....1952-1956) over the Carol Concert etc. Maybe its he who has joined the Forum - not sure if I might or might not have mentioned it in any of the numerous e mails we have been exchanging over the last few weeks.
Kerren Simmonds
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:Now which Roger Martin registered on the forum, I wonder .........
Might be an idea to regularly check how often he logs in, then. A PM might do the trick. (NOT Tony Bliar, Amy, before you ask !)

I see from his years he left as a pupil three years before I joined and came back to teach the year I left. Perhaps he'd been warned about me !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.