Pink Dust

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

Did the dust work?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Yes, and it caught lots of kleps
50%
No, it was invented to scare people off thieving
50%

Total votes: 4

marty
Grecian

Pink Dust

Post by marty »

Does anybody recall the infamous 'pink dust' ploy for catching thieves (or 'kleps' as we liked to call them) as used by Dr Maddren? Was it used in other houses? For those not in know this involved covering an item (cunningly planted by the housemaster) such as a chocolate bar, in pink dust. The dust would then rub off on the offending person's hands. A chemical solution would then be rubbed on your hands which turn pink if they had any trace of the dust on them. I distinctly recall the whole of Peele B being gathered one evening in the dayroom and then called in to Maddren's study, one by one, where he rubbed this solution on our hands. Don't think anyone was ever caught. There was some suggestion that this was just a scare tactic and the pink dust didn't actually work at all. Can anyone shed any light on this?
My therapist says I have a preoccupation with vengeance. We’ll see about that.
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

Dr. Maddren still used this trick as late as between about 1999 and 2001, when he came back to Peele B as a house tutor. There were things like ten pound notes or CDs dotted blatantly around the house, and it seemed to work, but I don't know if anyone got caught doing it, because everyone was warned before he did it!
Last edited by tobeconfirmed on Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I hadn't heard about that - sounds like a great idea!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

tbs wrote:Dr. Maddren still used this trick as late as between about 1999 and 2001, when he came back to Peele B as a house tutor. There were things like ten pound notes or CDs dotted blatantly around the house
i remember everyone talking about it but i never realised it actually happened. time to name and shame a thief: craig paine. he stole my mini disc player. [allegedly - Ed]
tobeconfirmed
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by tobeconfirmed »

I'd crash my computer if I named everything that Robbie Kirkland stole. [allegedly - Ed]
Chammy
3rd Former

Post by Chammy »

tbs wrote:I'd crash my computer if I named everything that Robbie Kirkland stole. [allegedly - Ed]
[not allegedly - Mrs. Ed]
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Fair enough! If it's proven, and not disputed, then I'll let your post stand!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Ash
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Ash »

HAHAHAHAH!!!!

KLEPS

Oh my god this forum is hilarious

K.V. Klepto alert........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MAINE A/B 1981 - 1986

BRING BACK BAKER