Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds

Post by Angela Woodford »

The name of lucyinthesky, the Forum's newest member, is very interesting - did you play your parents' beloved LP Sgt Pepper and feel inspired, Lucy?

Where was anybody when they heard Sgt Pepper for the first time? Remember easing it from its fabulous cover and wondering over the printed lyrics whilst trying on the stick-on moustache?

I was with Siobhan in her bedroom of her Brixton home, the curtains already drawn mid-sunny-afternoon to feel secluded and far-out. I'd got a bit of a hopeless crush on her brother! :roll: The album seemed miraraculously original. Well, it was!

It was said that if you walked down Carnaby Street you could buy a small piece of blotting paper impregnated with LSD and the world would dissolve into shimmering radiance to the sound of Sgt Pepper! I never was offered any. Too fat I suppose....

Oh Lucy!

Love, Munch
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

As I wasn't around in June 1967 I can't really comment on the impact that the Beatles LPs made when first released. I can only imagine, and from what I've heard the music had such an impact that noone from my generation can comprehend it.

However, I must have first heard Pepper around mid-90s and like any other Beatles album I quite enjoyed it. I have since owned various cd versions, LPs and one or two tapes (how can you avoid it if you're a serious record collector) and can no longer listen to the album. I have listened to it many, many times. The only tolerable passages are the fantastic sitar opening of side two and 'A Day In The Life'. I find the other tracks far from 'far out' and not particularly psychedelic if compared to comtemporary releases (Small Faces - Ogdens Nut Gone Flake, Rolling Stones - Satanic Majesties Request, Jefferson Airplane - Bathing at Baxters, The Mothers of Invention etc, etc...). Sgt Pepper is hideously overated, if the critics turned their ears to Revolver (rel: 1966) then they would actually hear something innovative and psychedelic in the form of 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. To this day I do not understand why Sgt Pepper is so highly rated when there are better Beatles albums out there. At the end of the day it is very commercial pop in disguise. It falls under the same category as Dark Side of the Moon, great album, seriously overated and the previous album was better.

Being impregnated by the shimmering radiance of Sgt Pepper when taking LSD. That's what I call a bad trip!

Apologies if I've offended anyone, this is just my opinion. Just pointing out that there are more innovative albums that were released around the same time and slightly earlier.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Too young I'm afraid, and never really been into the Beatles at a later stage. The Doors and Jim Morrison did it for me when I was a student.

One of our earliest hominid ancestors (australopithecus afarensis) was nick-named Lucy after this song.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Jeeves wrote:As I wasn't around in June 1967 I can't really comment on the impact that the Beatles LPs made when first released. I can only imagine, and from what I've heard the music had such an impact that noone from my generation can comprehend it.

I didn't really expect any memories from anyone of 21! :o You're bound to hear the album retrospectively. Imagine though, the sheltered CH girl who was allowed none of the evils of pop music at our v religious home. I was bowled over. And you sound as if you have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the music of the time and ever since! You're quite right - you had to be there marvelling at the "beautiful people" of the time!

" if compared to comtemporary releases (Small Faces - Ogdens Nut Gone Flake, Rolling Stones - Satanic Majesties Request, Jefferson Airplane - Bathing at Baxters, The Mothers of Invention etc, etc...). Sgt Pepper is hideously overated, if the critics turned their ears to Revolver (rel: 1966) then they would actually hear something innovative and psychedelic in the form of 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. To this day I do not understand why Sgt Pepper is so highly rated when there are better Beatles albums out there."

It caught the mood of the moment, Jeeves. You must excuse the nostalgic ramblings of a poor middle-aged woman!

"Being impregnated by the shimmering radiance of Sgt Pepper when taking LSD. That's what I call a bad trip!"

No... was not impregnated.. the shimmering radiance of the LSD blotting paper whilst listening to Sgt Pepper :lol:

"Apologies if I've offended anyone, this is just my opinion. Just pointing out that there are more innovative albums that were released around the same time and slightly earlier.
You're the expert!!

Munch
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

cj wrote:Too young I'm afraid, and never really been into the Beatles at a later stage. The Doors and Jim Morrison did it for me when I was a student.

One of our earliest hominid ancestors (australopithecus afarensis) was nick-named Lucy after this song.
The Doors and Jim Morrison, good choice. Avoid the album 'Other Voices' at all costs, they just don't sound the same without Jim.
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

Anyway, back to topic... "Where was anybody when they heard Sgt Pepper for the first time?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well, I'm old enough to remember the original issue of Sgt. Pepper.

It was an innovation.

It was ground-breaking.

I actually played it five times without a break and now have the CD version which brings back many, many happy memories of that era - Of girls, of free-love, the start of the 'get the yanks out of Vietnam' campaign, which was all a little awkward, me being in 'plod' at the time.

I have a secret adoration for the 'Magical Mystery Tour' as well, much for the same reasons.

Incidently, by total accident, I have met and chatted to one Richard Starky, alias Ringo, who is an absolutely lovely and genuine chap ! It wasn't long after he got tied up with Barbara Bach and she'd just written his car off on the A.3 near Putney. I must say, he was very good about it, though !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:Too young I'm afraid, and never really been into the Beatles at a later stage.
Same here :)
cj wrote:One of our earliest hominid ancestors (australopithecus afarensis) was nick-named Lucy after this song.
One of my dds is called Lucy but nothing to do with this song!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Jeeves wrote:As I wasn't around in June 1967 I can't really comment on the impact that the Beatles LPs made when first released. I can only imagine, and from what I've heard the music had such an impact that noone from my generation can comprehend it.

However, I must have first heard Pepper around mid-90s and like any other Beatles album I quite enjoyed it. I have since owned various cd versions, LPs and one or two tapes (how can you avoid it if you're a serious record collector) and can no longer listen to the album. I have listened to it many, many times. The only tolerable passages are the fantastic sitar opening of side two and 'A Day In The Life'. I find the other tracks far from 'far out' and not particularly psychedelic if compared to comtemporary releases (Small Faces - Ogdens Nut Gone Flake, Rolling Stones - Satanic Majesties Request, Jefferson Airplane - Bathing at Baxters, The Mothers of Invention etc, etc...). Sgt Pepper is hideously overated, if the critics turned their ears to Revolver (rel: 1966) then they would actually hear something innovative and psychedelic in the form of 'Tomorrow Never Knows'. To this day I do not understand why Sgt Pepper is so highly rated when there are better Beatles albums out there. At the end of the day it is very commercial pop in disguise. It falls under the same category as Dark Side of the Moon, great album, seriously overated and the previous album was better.

Being impregnated by the shimmering radiance of Sgt Pepper when taking LSD. That's what I call a bad trip!

Apologies if I've offended anyone, this is just my opinion. Just pointing out that there are more innovative albums that were released around the same time and slightly earlier.
I can't believe you left out Pet Sounds, by the beach boys. Possibly the greatest record ever made.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

graham wrote:I can't believe you left out Pet Sounds, by the beach boys. Possibly the greatest record ever made.
Sorry Graham, but there are so many records from that era that reeked of innovation that I couldn't include them all, Pet Sounds is naturally included. OK The Beatles used 4 track, flanging, phasing, automatic double tracking (and Abbey Road claimed to invent most of it, cough cough, bull...) yadder yadder yadder... The thing is quite a few others got there first regarding innovation!! Sgt Pepper takes all credit cause it was deemed groundbreaking, give the other stuff like Pet Sounds a chance. Besides, what sort of band doesn't attend a stereo mixdown of their own album?

DSOTM is the other example, yes, loads of great production techniques and was released in SQ quadraphonic surround but they got all the 'innovative credit' due to massive sales while at the same time (early 70s) there were other producers using more innovative techniques and releasing their surround material on a better system, e.g. CD-4. It is undoubtedly a good album, but also slightly overated. Funny that both examples were issued by EMI labels with their pompous slogan 'The Greatest Recording Organisation In The World'.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jeeves wrote:Anyway, back to topic... "Where was anybody when they heard Sgt Pepper for the first time?"
Not sure I've ever heard it as such (shock, horror) but there is one excellent track which was used as the second title song (different words) for Pantanal - a soap with a thrice weekly audience probably of over 60 million! I even used to watch it myself for the music and views. Got it on CD and tape somewhere.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

sejintenej wrote:Not sure I've ever heard it as such (shock, horror) but there is one excellent track which was used as the second title song (different words) for Pantanal - a soap with a thrice weekly audience probably of over 60 million! I even used to watch it myself for the music and views. Got it on CD and tape somewhere.
Hmm, which track could be used as the theme for a soap... got it! A Day in the Life!

Munch
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote:
sejintenej wrote:Not sure I've ever heard it as such (shock, horror) but there is one excellent track which was used as the second title song (different words) for Pantanal - a soap with a thrice weekly audience probably of over 60 million! I even used to watch it myself for the music and views. Got it on CD and tape somewhere.
Hmm, which track could be used as the theme for a soap... got it! A Day in the Life!

Munch
Not sure; I don't know the English name (and I would have to look up the translated version and the tape is - I think - in England)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

If memory serves me, then LP's were released on Thursday or Friday, and I bought Sargent Pepper on the Saturday, probably on my sister's recommendation since I was a Stones fan. Haven't heard it for a while as she liberated it a few years later.
My budget normally only stretched as far as EP's
I still have a 1964 Rolling Stones first album in mono, but what can you do with them now?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Jeeves
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by Jeeves »

jhopgood wrote:I still have a 1964 Rolling Stones first album in mono, but what can you do with them now?
You could always send it to me!