PT with mid morning break

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

East Gun Copse
2nd Former

PT with mid morning break

Post by East Gun Copse »

Do they still have PT every weekday morning? In the 40s & 50s we had it on the asphalt in winter and on grass in front of the houses in summer. It was lead by a monitor and followed exercises dreamt up by J.H.Edwards. It was quite wearing and it was rush to get back to your house change into games kit have about 15 minutes of the exercises and then change have the milk and biscuits and rush back for classes. There could be quite a relief if the weather required cancellation and big school bell would ring so that classes continued for and extra time. Teachers lesson plans had to be flexible enough to absorb they extra tiime. Did they have lesson plans in those days?

Did it do us any good? I hope so after all that effort. Has anyone done a research project like the Bristol University one on CH boys born between 1927 and 1956. It could be interesting to know if those who had such a regular exercise had less bone and muscle problems. I'm sure JHE would have been glad to know if it worked.

:?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

None of this in my day - the main problem was finding the time for a cup of coffee AND a quick ciggy down the tube.

The ciggy usually won.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Not sure about the effects of the PT described on the pupils. It had disappeared by my time.

However I believe Mr J H Edwards is alive and well in his nineties so I guess it has done him some good!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I remember the the P.E. sessions well !

I believe they were based on the British military system.

I was asked three times to take part in the Bristol University health investigation, but refused. To this day, I don't know how they found me as I had moved THREE TIMES since leaving C.H. and hadn't informed them. (Did they employ the C.I.A. or M.I.5/M.I.6. ??)

(a) I was adopted at birth, so little could be learnt from geneteics.

(b) I have a natural distrust in discussing my personal deatials in,'the interests of science' !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Not sure where this came from, one of the hand me downs for the OB editor.
Anyone recognisable?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Had to 'cut and paste' to open it, John.

Isn't that the science block quad, (near the pond) ?? Don't ever remember PE being held there !

Not exactly military precision, is it ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Should now display.
"Disable BBCode in this post" was ticked, hence wasn't interpretting it right.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.